RM650 (2019) won’t stop spinning

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
1 hour ago, Joppal said:

Hi!

I have a question... my Corsair RM650 (2019) power supply seems to not stop spinning after moderate load. What I mean is, when I turn the computer on the fan stops spinning as expected. Then, I run something heavy, like a benchmark or equal. The fan starts spinning which is also expected. But when I close EVERY application so the computer returns to idle the fan is still spinning. Why? I’ve checked the power consumption and it’s way under the limit for fans to start spinning. Anyone knows what’s going on? Is this normal?

To prevent the PSU fan from "revving" when the load or temperature is in between the fan turning on and not needing to be on, there's a hysteresis of 10 minutes.  The fan should slow down considerably, but it doesn't stop completely until the time delay is over. 

Hi!

I have a question... my Corsair RM650 (2019) power supply seems to not stop spinning after moderate load. What I mean is, when I turn the computer on the fan stops spinning as expected. Then, I run something heavy, like a benchmark or equal. The fan starts spinning which is also expected. But when I close EVERY application so the computer returns to idle the fan is still spinning. Why? I’ve checked the power consumption and it’s way under the limit for fans to start spinning. Anyone knows what’s going on? Is this normal?

It's normal - the fan behaviour is tied to power supply thermal AND load values. Your PSU needs to cool down before the fan RPM can slow down

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

Thanks for quick reply!!! When I keep my computer at idle I can feel in the “exhaust” that it’s as cold as it could possibly be... may it be because the components are hot but they are so small and doesn’t emit that much heat so I can feel it, but the temperature sensor can detect it? Do you understand what I mean?

1 hour ago, Joppal said:

Hi!

To prevent the PSU fan from "revving" when the load or temperature is in between the fan turning on and not needing to be on, there's a hysteresis of 10 minutes.  The fan should slow down considerably, but it doesn't stop completely until the time delay is over.