Ryzen underperformance. Help!!!

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
45 minutes ago, Jon Hoggard said:

I thought leaving it under auto would use all 12 threads. I haven't messed with the thread controller yet. Temps are around 71c the whole time

In Cinebench, Hit the File tab, then select preferences. Select manually the number of threads. Sometimes it doesn't see the HT threads, but generally after you've messed with it and forgotten about it. (I've done that a few times lol)

Use Cpu-z to ensure all your threads are in fact enabled. 

We'll get your score where it should be. But it looks like SMT is in fact not being utilized, or not enabled. Unless we are proven otherwise, this is the for now direction of diag.

I recently built a new system for myself and am getting really poor results out of it. I'm new to overclocking but would like to overclock at some point. I have ran Cinebench r15 and 20 and received very poor scores on them despite having what I thought was good hardware. My best score on r15 was 1030 and my best score on r20 was 1818. I see a lot of people getting far better scores than that with the same hardware, what am I doing wrong? 

Mobo: Gigabyte B450m Ds3h

Cpu: Ryzen 5 3600 with Wraith Prism cooler and arctic mx4 thermal paste

Gpu: Powercolor Rx 580 8gb 

Ram:2x8gb Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz DDR4 Dual channel also xmp is enabled

Psu: Evga 600w 80+ 

Ssd: 500gb WD Blue 2.5" ssd

OS: Latest Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 , latest bios (F50), latest chipset drivers 

Any advice or help would mean the world to me. Right now this isn't performing much better than my old pc and I'm feeling like I wasted time and money.

Just now, Jon Hoggard said:

I recently built a new system for myself and am getting really poor results out of it. I'm new to overclocking but would like to overclock at some point. I have ran Cinebench r15 and 20 and received very poor scores on them despite having what I thought was good hardware. My best score on r15 was 1030 and my best score on r20 was 1818. I see a lot of people getting far better scores than that with the same hardware, what am I doing wrong? 

Ram:2x8gb Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz DDR4 run on dimm slot 1 and 2 (i believe those are the best for dual channel) also xmp is enabled

Any advice or help would mean the world to me. Right now this isn't performing much better than my old pc and I'm feeling like I wasted time and money.

Are you looking at multi-threaded or single thread benchmarks?

You ram should be in slots 2 & 4 for dual channel to work. If you are in slots 1 & 2 then you are only getting single channel judging from the below from the manual.

image.png.bf8d0a971faf3301582af2aa6354c4c2.png

Ram:2x8gb Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz DDR4 run on dimm slot 1 and 2 (i believe those are the best for dual channel) also xmp is enabled

That is your problem, Dual Channel is usually/normally slots 2 & 4 not 1 & 3.

Also:

-= Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

29 minutes ago, IntMD said:

You ram should be in slots 2 & 4 for dual channel to work. If you are in slots 1 & 2 then you are only getting single channel judging from the below from the manual.

image.png.bf8d0a971faf3301582af2aa6354c4c2.png

Intuitively I assumed that the #2 slot and the #1 slot (labeled that way) which are 2nd from the cpu and 4th from the cpu would be dual channel because above one is listed under channel a and one is listed channel b am i wrong?

59 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

That is your problem, Dual Channel is usually/normally slots 2 & 4 not 1 & 3.

Also:

-= Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory =-

Thank you, are you referring to the labeled number associated with the dim slots or their physical location in relation to the cpu? the board labels them from closest to the cpu to farthest respectively ddr4_4 ddr4_2 ddr4_3 ddr4_1 

12 minutes ago, Jon Hoggard said:

Intuitively I assumed that the #2 slot and the #1 slot (labeled that way) which are 2nd from the cpu and 4th from the cpu would be dual channel because above one is listed under channel a and one is listed channel b am i wrong?

Hmmm... On another look, you are in the correct slots... they are named differently to every other board I've looked at. Also, that Cinebench R20 score is about half what it should be. 

Just to confirm for others if they come along, as I'm about to log off, you have done the following:

Edit: Also, have you checked your temps, in case you are throttling when running CB?

53 minutes ago, steelo said:

Are you looking at multi-threaded or single thread benchmarks?

idk but a 1030 single thread score in r15 or 1818 in r20?

SIGN ME UP

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

20 minutes ago, IntMD said:

Hmmm... On another look, you are in the correct slots... they are named differently to every other board I've looked at. Also, that Cinebench R20 score is about half what it should be. 

Just to confirm for others if they come along, as I'm about to log off, you have done the following:

Edit: Also, have you checked your temps, in case you are throttling when running CB?

Thank you for your help. Bios is up to date, xmp is enabled, windows is up to date, I have the latest chipset drivers installed and I have not seen an option to disable SMT (I looked) so I'm going to assume I didn't mess that up.

11 minutes ago, Jon Hoggard said:

memory must be loaded in pair by the channle config 1&3 or 2&4 (2&4 be the preferred setup)

7 minutes ago, Jon Hoggard said:

Thank you, are you referring to the labeled number associated with the dim slots or their physical location in relation to the cpu? the board labels them from closest to the cpu to farthest retrospectively ddr4_4 ddr4_2 ddr4_3 ddr4_1 

Apologies I miss-typed. I said "not 1&3" and I meant "1&2".

You need to use the same two slots as stated in your manual. Here you need to populate 2&4 as per your manual. 

Single channel would be 1&2 or 3&4.

This might help, The 2 slots on the left is channel 1 and the 2 slots on the right is channel 2.

By using 1 & 3 or 2&4 you get Dual channel usage. Be sure to populate the even number first but it really doesn't matter as long as you match the same color.

The way it is listed is odd and sometime confusing when they say Channel A or B. 

I hope that helps.

1877256663_Annotation2020-04-16152451.jpg.3678c26de407d32af9797d6218412527.jpg

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

memory must be loaded in pair by the channle config 1&3 or 2&4 (2&4 be the preferred setup)

Apologies I miss-typed. I said "not 1&3" and I meant "1&2".

You need to use the same two slots as stated in your manual. Here you need to populate 2&4 as per your manual. 

Single channel would be 1&2 or 3&4.

This might help, The 2 slots on the left is channel 1 and the 2 slots on the right is channel 2.

By using 1 & 3 or 2&4 you get Dual channel usage. Be sure to populate the even number first but it really doesn't matter as long as you match the same color.

The way it is listed is odd and sometime confusing when they say Channel A or B. 

I hope that helps.

1877256663_Annotation2020-04-16152451.jpg.3678c26de407d32af9797d6218412527.jpg

Okay then I guess I am the one who made it confusing because I always had the ram installed in the two grey slots (2nd from the CPU and 4th) but I referred to them by the label that Gigabyte had given them instead. We were on the same page. I have my ram installed in the appropriate slot

14 minutes ago, Jon Hoggard said:

Thank you for your help. Bios is up to date, xmp is enabled, windows is up to date, I have the latest chipset drivers installed and I have not seen an option to disable SMT (I looked) so I'm going to assume I didn't mess that up.

5 minutes ago, Jon Hoggard said:

Okay then I guess I am the one who made it confusing because I always had the ram installed in the two grey slots (2nd from the CPU and 4th) but I referred to them by the label that Gigabyte had given them instead. We were on the same page. I have my ram installed in the appropriate slot

Glad that we got that cleared up.. lol.

Ok so, Are the memory modules matching? as in the same capacity, same speed and latency?

If not the system will default to the slower and or smaller module.

*edit

I have to ask just to make sure and troubleshoot thoroughly.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, Jon Hoggard said:

While your are benching cinebench, be sure you have it set to run 12 threads then perform the benchmark.

The other thing that comes to mind is the cpu cooler. Are you watching temps during the benchmark and if so what are the temps?

7 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Glad that we got that cleared up.. lol.

Ok so, Are the memory modules matching? as in the same capacity, same speed and latency?

If not the system will default to the slower and or smaller module.

*edit

I have to ask just to make sure and troubleshoot thoroughly.

No problem, I appreciate the help. They are identical. Both are Vengeance 8gb 3600mhz lpx dimms purchased as a kit.

9 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

While your are benching cinebench, be sure you have it set to run 12 threads then perform the benchmark.

The other thing that comes to mind is the cpu cooler. Are you watching temps during the benchmark and if so what are the temps?

I thought leaving it under auto would use all 12 threads. I haven't messed with the thread controller yet. Temps are around 71c the whole time

45 minutes ago, Jon Hoggard said:

In Cinebench, Hit the File tab, then select preferences. Select manually the number of threads. Sometimes it doesn't see the HT threads, but generally after you've messed with it and forgotten about it. (I've done that a few times lol)

We'll get your score where it should be. But it looks like SMT is in fact not being utilized, or not enabled. Unless we are proven otherwise, this is the for now direction of diag.

2 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Manually setting the threads in r20 was the ticket, they must not have been utilized before for some reason. I scored a 3575 on my first test which is way closer to the scores i was looking for. I dont particularly care to have a high r20 or r15 score but i felt like my new build was not as nice as i had anticipated so i wanted to test that theory against what other people were seeing. It must have all been in my head. With all that being said would anybody like to guide me through my first oc? i realize a million people have done vidoes about this and a million people have asked but ive watched quite a few and im still a little lost. im fairly competent but im still a little overwhelmed