What would you choose.

Ginga_NZ

The choice I'm trying to make is

Between https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGASAP15711/Sapphire-PULSE-Radeon-RX-5700XT-8GB-GDDR6-Graphics

And https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGAGBV22070A/Gigabyte-GeForce-RTX-2070-Windforce-8G-DDR6-GPU-Sp

Going to be upgrading to a 144hz 1440p monitor.

The rest of the system is a ryzen 5 1600

16gb ddr4 3200mhz

On a gigabyte g3 gaming mobo

Please provide your reasoning behind the choice and feel free to make other suggestions. Since I'm in NZ you could use www.pricespy.co.nz to find your suggestion and see if the prices here still make it viable.

5 minutes ago, Not Wills said:

great driver support

Yes driver issues are looking like they might play a big part in my decision.

4 minutes ago, Ginga_NZ said:

I ogringally used an rx 570 in my build and drivers/navigating their software was a nightmare. I prefer nvidia just for their ease of use and constant driver updates

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

4 minutes ago, Ginga_NZ said:

Driver issues aren't a thing these days - they've been gone for several months. The drivers were an issue at launch but it's fine now.

Personally, I'd go with the Pulse 5700 XT - the cooler is far better so the 5700 XT will run cooler, quieter and probably live longer. That GB cooler is mediocre.
In addition, the 5700 XT performs just 2% worse than the 2070 Super so it's going to be noticeably faster than the 2070 non-Super you are looking at. The performance equivalent to the 2070 non Super is a 5700 non-XT

1 minute ago, WambleCropped said:

I ogringally used an rx 570 in my build and drivers/navigating their software was a nightmare. I prefer nvidia just for their ease of use and constant driver updates

I can actually say the exact same thing about my 970 - drivers have been a nightmare. Meanwhile my older R9 280 was great.

I would personally choose the RTX 2070, better drivers, Ray-Tracing, and it even performs better than the RX 5700 XT in some games, I would personally choose it, I don't know about you.

Just now, GAME 55 said:

I would personally choose the RTX 2070, better drivers, Ray-Tracing, and it even performs better than the RX 5700 XT in some games, I would personally choose it, I don't know about you.

He's looking at the 2070 non-Super - that's about 10% slower than the 5700 XT

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

He's looking at the 2070 non-Super - that's about 10% slower than the 5700 XT

Oh,

I am sorry my bad.

1 minute ago, GAME 55 said:

GeForce RTX 2070 Super vs. Radeon RX 5700 XT: 37 Game Benchmark ...

I'm not really sure if Ray-Tracing is worth the frame rate hit.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be happy enough with how amazing games look running on high/ultra.

I've not even really made my decision on the monitor to be honest. Could End up choosing to save money there and get a 75hz Since I'll be mostly playing games where I'll rather the higher detail rather than fast pace fps and want the extra frames.

Also the 2070 is $200 more so more than what I'm really hoping to spend.

I'm also looking at options for a second hand 1070 or 1080 if the price is going to be right.

2 minutes ago, Ginga_NZ said:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be happy enough with how amazing games look running on high/ultra.

I've not even really made my decision on the monitor to be honest. Could End up choosing to save money there and get a 75hz Since I'll be mostly playing games where I'll rather the higher detail rather than fast pace fps and want the extra frames.

Also the 2070 is $200 more so more than what I'm really hoping to spend.

I'm also looking at options for a second hand 1070 or 1080 if the price is going to be right.

Consider a 5700 non-XT - faster than a 2060 Super (as fast as a 2070 non Super) and much cheaper.

As for RTX - first gen RTX cards will be useless in a few months considering RTX gen 2 is expected to be 2-3 times better at handling ray tracing and games will likely get built around the hardware that can actually run RTX at above 20 fps (the 3000 series)

1 minute ago, Ginga_NZ said:

Fair enough, then the RX 5700 XT will be perfect for you, I don't which one is cheaper, but if you don't want Ray-Tracing, then the RX 5700 XT is the way to go, it is more powerful than the RTX 2070, and I expect them to be almost the same price.

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Consider a 5700 non-XT - faster than a 2060 Super (as fast as a 2070 non Super) and much cheaper.

This video

Has the 2070 and 5700xt pretty evenly matched. So am not sure the 5700 would perform as well. Oh and a quick look at the pricing of 5700 doesn't seem to make it viable, the cheapest variants which have terribly designed coolers are only $60 cheaper....

6 minutes ago, Ginga_NZ said:

This video

Has the 2070 and 5700xt pretty evenly matched. So am not sure the 5700 would perform as well. Oh and a quick look at the pricing of 5700 doesn't seem to make it viable, the cheapest variants which have terribly designed coolers are only $60 cheaper....

Yeah, you are right, i don't think downgrading for the RX 5700 is a good idea, the RX 5700 XT is just alright.

1 hour ago, Ginga_NZ said:

The choice I'm trying to make is

Between https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGASAP15711/Sapphire-PULSE-Radeon-RX-5700XT-8GB-GDDR6-Graphics

And https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGAGBV22070A/Gigabyte-GeForce-RTX-2070-Windforce-8G-DDR6-GPU-Sp

Going to be upgrading to a 144hz 1440p monitor.

The rest of the system is a ryzen 5 1600

16gb ddr4 3200mhz

On a gigabyte g3 gaming mobo

Please provide your reasoning behind the choice and feel free to make other suggestions. Since I'm in NZ you could use www.pricespy.co.nz to find your suggestion and see if the prices here still make it viable.

Personally I would go with the 2070 ive used nvidia cards forever and ive never had a issue with them and they also use less power than the radeon cards. Nvidia also has updated for quite a while

1 hour ago, Ginga_NZ said:

This video

That's one of the known fakes on youtube - look at known trusted sources like HardwareUnboxed or Gamersnexus

1 hour ago, Bowie2004 said:

Personally I would go with the 2070 ive used nvidia cards forever and ive never had a issue with them and they also use less power than the radeon cards. Nvidia also has updated for quite a while

That's not remotely true
Temperature & power consumption : AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT and 5700 ...

1 hour ago, GAME 55 said:

Yeah, you are right, i don't think downgrading for the RX 5700 is a good idea, the RX 5700 XT is just alright.

The 2070S is only ~5% faster than the 5700 XT - both much better than the 2070 non S

i'm with @5x5

5700xt is the best value right now in 1440p performance

i'll just add don't go too crazy on AIB models if the price pushes you too close to a 2070 super.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

43 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

i'm with @5x5

5700xt is the best value right now in 1440p performance

i'll just add don't go too crazy on AIB models if the price pushes you too close to a 2070 super.

I'm in New Zealand that Sapphire Pluse is one of the cheapest 5700xt ones a little bit cheaper have terrible reviews online regarding their thermals. The 2070 super is over $200 on either the 5700xt or the 2070

1 minute ago, Ginga_NZ said:

I'm in New Zealand that Sapphire Pluse is one of the cheapest 5700xt ones a little bit cheaper have terrible reviews online regarding their thermals. The 2070 super is over $200 on either the 5700xt or the 2070

i mean, i've got one of the worst thermally performing 5700 xt's out there, and it's fine. i'm sure the sapphire is great.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 hours ago, 5x5 said:

That's not remotely true
Temperature & power consumption : AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT and 5700 ...

oh well would you look at that

5 hours ago, Ginga_NZ said:

Grab the pulse - near-2070S performance for 2070 prices. Best value you can get.

1 hour ago, Bowie2004 said:

oh well would you look at that

You do realize the 5700 XT and 2070S, the cards that perform basically the same in most games, are using the same amount of power. Same story with the 5700 and 2070 non-S. And the 2060 Super and 5700. Really, if you honestly think 3W of power is ANYTHING, well, I hate to break it to you, but the LEDs in your mouse use more power than that. Hell, most RGB keyboards are 10W affairs. You don't see anyone complaining about that