I don't know what is wrong here but this is weird

John55

Recently, my computer does this thing where every hour or so, I hear a buzzing and then every program I have freezes. After 3 seconds of being frozen, my screen turns off for a second then quickly turns on. When it turns on, there is a 2 second period of my screen just glitching out with green and blue pixels before it refreshes and everything begins working again. This has never started happening until today. I checked my CPU temps are they are at 35 degrees Celsius at idle which seems normal. I even updated my graphics drivers. I can't figure it out.

1 minute ago, muito_gostoso said:

sounds graphics card overheat ,check temps of gpu with gpuz in tab sensors.

How do I fix this then? This has never happened before. Do I need to buy a GPU cooler? @muito_gostoso

first make sure your temps are ok in your gpu running a stress test of gpu, and waching temps.

then to fix that you can increase rpms fan of cooler.

Just now, muito_gostoso said:

first make sure your temps are ok in your gpu running a stress test of gpu, and waching temps.

then to fix that you can increase rpms fan of cooler.

Even though I fully agree with this comment, please read what I have to say: 

A month ago, for about a weeks time, I suddently - from one day to the other - had really bad performance issues. My FPS in games were cut down 40% and I wasn't able to watch 4K HDR content without it dropping to 8FPS during playback. My GPU temps were pretty much the same as always. I was so sure my GPU was dying since my CPU worked perfectly through stresstests and so on.  Then after a week of troubleshooting, I end up talking to Nvidia Support. I explain to the guy I talked to everything I've tried so far and that my temps actually were alright. He then told me to clean my cooler anyways, so I did. And yes, I did find some small chunks of dust near the fan in the cooler (blowerstyle 1080 Ti from MSI) but I was sure it wasn't enough to cause these insane performance drops. But I cleaned out all I could and yup, my performance was back and has been good ever since. I even went up a couple of FPS in the games I play. 

So TLDR; even though you might see acceptable temps from your GPU, try clean the cooler anyways. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

1 hour ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Even though I fully agree with this comment, please read what I have to say: 

A month ago, for about a weeks time, I suddently - from one day to the other - had really bad performance issues. My FPS in games were cut down 40% and I wasn't able to watch 4K HDR content without it dropping to 8FPS during playback. My GPU temps were pretty much the same as always. I was so sure my GPU was dying since my CPU worked perfectly through stresstests and so on.  Then after a week of troubleshooting, I end up talking to Nvidia Support. I explain to the guy I talked to everything I've tried so far and that my temps actually were alright. He then told me to clean my cooler anyways, so I did. And yes, I did find some small chunks of dust near the fan in the cooler (blowerstyle 1080 Ti from MSI) but I was sure it wasn't enough to cause these insane performance drops. But I cleaned out all I could and yup, my performance was back and has been good ever since. I even went up a couple of FPS in the games I play. 

So TLDR; even though you might see acceptable temps from your GPU, try clean the cooler anyways. 

Also the gpu throttle is a lurker in all systems since windows 8, and hard to spot.

post-238877-0-23658100-1435441591.png

3 minutes ago, muito_gostoso said:

Also the gpu throttle is a lurker in all systems since windows 8, and hard to spot.

post-238877-0-23658100-1435441591.png

I'm not exactly sure how to understand this. Is GPU throttling an issue for all computers since Windows 8? 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

I'm not exactly sure how to understand this. Is GPU throttling an issue for all computers since Windows 8? 

well yes since ivy bridge trottle is inside cpu core die, and intelppm.sys on win8.

power management is the issue since win8 even win10 performance is always 5%-20% less than win7 as i saw in benchmarks.

in all gpus in win 10 i saw some kinf of throttle and bad acpi optimization of windows.

gtx 980, radeon 5500, igpus hd 6250, rx 580, etc.  and i dont know why,

4 minutes ago, muito_gostoso said:

well yes since ivy bridge trottle is inside cpu core die, and intelppm.sys on win8.

power management is the issue since win8 even win10 performance is always 5%-20% less than win7 as i saw in benchmarks.

Okay this is something I've never heard of and don't understand. I mean, I understand what you say but I don't understand the connection between the CPU throttle from within the core die since Ivy Bridge and GPU throttling.

Is it simply because the CPU performance drops which causes GPU bottleneck? Is that how it works? 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

Okay this is something I've never heard of and don't understand. I mean, I understand what you say but I don't understand the connection between the CPU throttle from within the core die since Ivy Bridge and GPU throttling. Simply because the CPU performance drops which causes bigger bottleneck? Is that how it works? 

i read about some kind of "sincronization" exist between cpu-gpu, it is more about api level of directx and opengl, directx 12 is the solution of this as i read, but maybe is a misconception of mine, but im sure in opengl happens, but i did not found a technical paper o statement about.

Just now, muito_gostoso said:

i read about some kind of "sincronization" exist between cpu-gpu, it is more about api level of directx and opengl, directx 12 is the solution of this as i read, but maybe is a misconception of mine, but im sure in opengl happens, but i did not found a technical paper o statement about.

Alright gotcha... Yeah it's certainly something I don't have much knowledge about. My GPU does stay at 97% as a minimum in the games I play - like it moves from 97% to 99% all the time - sometimes hits 100% but never under 97% - well it does in loadingscreens fx but never under real gameplay. So I don't think I have that problem? 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

Alright gotcha... Yeah it's certainly something I don't have much knowledge about. My GPU does stay at 97% as a minimum in the games I play - like it moves from 97% to 99% all the time - sometimes hits 100% but never under 97% - well it does in loadingscreens fx but never under real gameplay. So I don't think I have that problem? 

maybe not, but anyway i always use the osd of afterburner and hwinfo to make sure and see what happens in game. and i tweak the intelppm.sys to disable throttle of frecuency and power csenable to 0 to disable power acpi issues throttling in the regedit.  Works for me.

fig.1.png

23 minutes ago, muito_gostoso said:

maybe not, but anyway i always use the osd of afterburner and hwinfo to make sure and see what happens in game. and i tweak the intelppm.sys to disable throttle of frecuency and power csenable to 0 to disable power acpi issues throttling in the regedit.  Works for me.

fig.1.png

Woah, sounds like a lot. I think I'll just skip all that. My performance is still optimal, so like you know, "If it ain't broken, ain't fix it". 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

This happened ever since the windows update on 4/13/20. I can't seem to reverse this update either.