Do I build a new system or get an e-gpu enclosure?

badger85

My current PC is the following (the parts that matter):

• Core i5 3570k
  • Asus V Formula eatx motherboard
  • evga 980ti

My current system is starting to show it's age and i would like something smaller than my current e-atx form factor since I will be moving into a new place with less available space.

The way I see it, my current options are: Build a small form factor PC that I could fit in a small space OR get an e-gpu enclosure and use my current 980ti (for now) along with my dell XPS 13 9370. I'm also considering getting a new higher end gaming laptop instead of building a small form factor PC.

I'm looking for opinions on which route to take.

What do you guys think?

17 minutes ago, badger85 said:

My current PC is the following (the parts that matter):

• Core i5 3570k
  • Asus V Formula eatx motherboard
  • evga 980ti

My current system is starting to show it's age and i would like something smaller than my current e-atx form factor since I will be moving into a new place with less available space.

The way I see it, my current options are: Build a small form factor PC that I could fit in a small space OR get an e-gpu enclosure and use my current 980ti (for now) along with my dell XPS 13 9370. I'm also considering getting a new higher end gaming laptop instead of building a small form factor PC.

I'm looking for opinions on which route to take.

What do you guys think?

If I were you I would just build an entirely new system. Its also probably not only the GPU that is slowing you down. Probably a combination of the CPU and GPU.

Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 XC Ultra 16 GB of Corsair Vengence Gigbyte B450 Aorus Pro EVGA Supernova 650 G3 Thermaltake V200 TG RGB 

I'd argue that the single component holding you back the most right now is that i5-3570K. The GTX 980 Ti is still a very competent card at the moment with similar performance to the GTX 1070 and GTX 1660 Ti., meanwhile games are taking more and more advantage of higher IPC and more cores. I think you should consider building a Mini ITX or Micro ATX machine with a Ryzen 5 3600 or 3600X.

What are the full specs of your current machine, including the specific GTX 980 Ti? You could potentially move some parts from your current machine to the new one, reducing the final cost.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I don't think there is much worth moving, I have a couple of sata ssds, and the GPU that i would keep. Probably the PSU which is a seasonic 750 gold i believe. I think that with a CPU, motherboard, ram, case and maybe an m.2 drive I would be pretty good.