New Builder & Member looking for criticism of plan

Way back when.... Motherboards had a PCI slot and a few ISA slots I built my last PC.  I don't remember the specs but it was AMD Athlon XP based with a Riva TNT2 32mb, it broke when I stored it in the old outside lavvy and the rats got it.

For a few years I used an Acorn A3010 which was scavenged from a skip , avoiding using the internet on anything but my phone or shared computers, copying the files to a floppy disk and heading to the local library to print stuff off.  Lemmings and The Oregon Trail became addictions

Then my mums old Packard Bell Pulsar needed a new home, with a Celeron 333, Riva TNT2 32mb, 512mb ram, 6.4gb hdd running Windows 2000 it did what was needed perfectly.  It's still kicking about somewhere

Last year a Thinkpad T450 arrived in the household what i'd been missing, speed wise, followed closely by a Crossbone(which is a major step up from my Acorn) which has got me seriously interested in gaming.

Now, mind, i'm used to virtualisation, network configurations, WiFi planning, I did book learning on it, and not to the building of PC's and have neglected new technology, fully investing in the hermit lifestyle, until recently, this is what I've researched:

New PC Specs

Buying

• CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 AREZ 8GB DUAL OC Graphics Card
  • MOBO: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX
  • PSU: Corsair TR550M
  • RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury DDR4 3200MHz - 1x 16GB
  • Microsoft Designer Mouse

Bin Raking Finds

• HDD1: Crucial CT525MX300SSD1
  • CASE: Coolermaster K350, needs some repair but i'll use balsa wood, plastikote and a glue gun for that
  • Monitor: 2x Phillips 1080p with HDMI
  • Microsoft Greek Layout Keyboard

Optional Extras

• Bluetooth & WiFi card(this may not work however, as I live in the basement of a thick walled granite building) although modifying it by adding a custom aerial is a possibility

Possible Mods(when i'm feeling adventurous)

• Mini biltong box inside the case with a hygrometer, big enough for one steak inside the case

All this for a grand total of £441.95 including postage seems like a good deal.

Would this be sufficient for 1080p video editing, photo editing with some modern games like Max Payne, Sin and Minecraft?  Possibly even CS:Go

Your thoughts are very much appreciated and would help a lot

To answer your jumble of questions at the bottom, the answer is YES, that is sufficient, THOUGH if you're into video editing and you do that a lot, I would personally get as many Zen 2 cores as possible, and not just 6 because time is $ :).   If you are on a budget I would spend time comparing the Zen+ 2700 VS Zen 2 3600 for the video editing software you're current using.  It may be worth it for you to sacrafice gaming performance from the 3600 to get 2 extra cores..  anyways, you get the point.

IF you're not fixed on the 6 cores, then just buy more zen to cores.. more the better for video editing as i understand.

Secondly, you ALWAYS buy ram in pairs for these types of builds.  never 1x 16GB.  You want your ram to run in dual channel mode do 2x8gb sticks is warranted, otherwise you half your memory bandwidth and your system will be severely hamstrung.

16 minutes ago, _Kaurus said:

To answer your jumble of questions at the bottom, the answer is YES, that is sufficient, THOUGH if you're into video editing and you do that a lot, I would personally get as many Zen 2 cores as possible, and not just 6 because time is $ :).   If you are on a budget I would spend time comparing the Zen+ 2700 VS Zen 2 3600 for the video editing software you're current using.  It may be worth it for you to sacrafice gaming performance from the 3600 to get 2 extra cores..  anyways, you get the point.

IF you're not fixed on the 6 cores, then just buy more zen to cores.. more the better for video editing as i understand.

Secondly, you ALWAYS buy ram in pairs for these types of builds.  never 1x 16GB.  You want your ram to run in dual channel mode do 2x8gb sticks is warranted, otherwise you half your memory bandwidth and your system will be severely hamstrung.

Thanks for the quick reply

The 2700(£20 cheaper) & 2700X(£24 more expensive) are options, but I wanted to go for the latest generation, I'll be using Davinci Resolve to massacre videos and have heard that this mainly shoves processing to the GPU.  I won't be doing much video editing, maybe 2 fillums per month.

The consideration was to buy 16Gb and upgrade with another 16Gb in a couple of months, do you think two 8Gb sticks would be enough for at least the next 4 years?

Regards

2 minutes ago, madmanbehindyou said:

The 2700(£20 cheaper) & 2700X(£24 more expensive) are options, but I wanted to go for the latest generation, I'll be using Davinci Resolve to massacre videos and have heard that this mainly shoves processing to the GPU.  I won't be doing much video editing, maybe 2 fillums per month.

The consideration was to buy 16Gb and upgrade with another 16Gb in a couple of months, do you think two 8Gb sticks would be enough for at least the next 4 years?

Regards

Go with the ryzen 5 3600, I would buy the 2x16 kit now because the prices are only going up and it’s typically cheaper to get a 2x16kit vs 2 1x16kits.

Quote me or mention me at @Shrekpad so I get notified 
pc specs:
CPU: 
Intel i7 8700K MOBO: ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR4 G Skill TridentZ 3000 MHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv STORAGE: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 NVME SSD,
T-Force Delta RGB 250GB SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD PSU: 750 Watt EVGA SuperNova G3 MONITERDell S2716DGR 1440p 144hz G-Sync, BenQ PD2700U 4K 60hz CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum OS: Windows 10

1 minute ago, madmanbehindyou said:

Regards

Maybe 24 pounds for a 2700x is worth it to you as it's OC from factory, but the two chips are essentially the same once you've completed your "setup".

If you're not really full time video editing, then the 3600 has a significant advantage in IPC over Zen+ CPUs (15% was it?). 

I game and I bought the 3600.  It's amazing.

I've been running 16 GB of ram for the last 3 years.  When gaming I use about 10GB total, so spare 6.  This should be fine for the few years for sure.

But i don't know how your video editing software utilizes ram. take a look at the system requirements for that one.

10 hours ago, Shrekpad said:

Aserejé, ja deje tejebe tude jebere, Sebiunouba majabi an de bugui an de buididipí

Thank for the reply, 

I think i'll go 2x8 for the noo for finances sake and upgrade to 16x2 later if and when needed, plus I can use the old ram in another build

10 hours ago, _Kaurus said:

Maybe 24 pounds for a 2700x is worth it to you as it's OC from factory, but the two chips are essentially the same once you've completed your "setup".

If you're not really full time video editing, then the 3600 has a significant advantage in IPC over Zen+ CPUs (15% was it?). 

I game and I bought the 3600.  It's amazing.

I've been running 16 GB of ram for the last 3 years.  When gaming I use about 10GB total, so spare 6.  This should be fine for the few years for sure.

But i don't know how your video editing software utilizes ram. take a look at the system requirements for that one.

Cheers min, I'm just going to go with the 3600.  And will stick with 2x8gb as per your recommendation.  I can always upgrade later and build a NAS with the old ram, which motherboard did you use?

You're going to have a sick system, i should know, i have the same sort of build. lol :)  3600 is a sweet heart.

OH WAIT, just released earlier today was an article covering B450 and 500 series chipset compatibility for Zen 2. + Big monster GPUs are just around a corner :)

If I was building right now I'd seriously consider a 500 series board, specially if I was considering to keep my system for more than 5 or 6 years starting today.

Good luck friend, i envy your situation :)