How to delete Windows

Perrin

I got a new SSD that I would like to use as my boot drive and I'm gonna keep my current HDD for games and such. My current HDD has windows that I have been using but once i get my ssd set up with windows I would like to delete it off my hdd. How do I safely get rid of my hard drive's windows copy?

if you don't care about the data on the HDD, via the windows 10 installation process you can format all your disks. if you care about the data on the HDD and you only want to delete win 10, i don't think it's possible

Make sure that you remove the old hard drive when installing the new OS on the new SSD (as in, actually disconnect the sata cable from it for the install).  This is super important because otherwise the fresh copy of Windows will actually depend on some files it puts onto the old HDD. 

After installign a booting to the new OS, this is super easy, literally just delete the folder on it called "windows" once you mount this as a second HDD.  Grab all your items out of your "user" folder, then delete that, too.  You can also delete the folders called "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)".

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

Just now, shoutingsteve said:

this is super easy, literally just delete the folder on it called "windows" once you mount this as a second HDD.  Grab all your items out of your "user" folder, then delete that, too.  You can also delete the folders called "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)".

oh yes i didn't thought about thatxD

3 minutes ago, Its_MrMa said:

oh yes i didn't thought about thatxD

please see the edits I made to the above post.  I made a few mistakes when trying to do exactly what (s)he is doing, so my additional comments are my advice for anyone in this situation.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

1 hour ago, shoutingsteve said:

Make sure that you remove the old hard drive when installing the new OS on the new SSD (as in, actually disconnect the sata cable from it for the install).  This is super important because otherwise the fresh copy of Windows will actually depend on some files it puts onto the old HDD. 

After installign a booting to the new OS, this is super easy, literally just delete the folder on it called "windows" once you mount this as a second HDD.  Grab all your items out of your "user" folder, then delete that, too.  You can also delete the folders called "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)".

Oh sweet didnt realize it was that simple.Thank you

On 4/15/2020 at 10:12 PM, sp331yi said:

Do not use Dban with an SSD

Instead, Secure erase/sanitise/PSID revert your drive using the manufacturers software

Formatting the whole hard drive or solid state drive.

Make sure you have another disc or USB device that contains another OS.

the oyer