Asus ROG rx5700xt + Asus psu bundle. Should I buy it?

Eslitened

Hi new here. I'm about to build myself a brand new machine. 

One of my local hardware vendor offered me a special bundle deal of this combination:

Asus ROG Strix rx5700xt 08G along with Asus ROG strix 650w for a price of 480 usd.

The price looks tempting. However, from many times I heard that All Asus rx5700 cards should be avoided as possible as they have serious problem with temperature and heatsink which might even cause permanent hardware damage. Is this true?

Also is the Asus power supply reliable? Will 650 watt be enough for this card? I'm planning to pair it with r5 3600X cpu, b450 motherboard, 2x8gb 3200mhz ram and an Intel 660p 1tp ssd btw.

if they are both new, that's a pretty god deal, go for you. the tuf had the heat problems, the strix is fine.

So no problem with both the card and the psu? Thanks!

Btw. Is it worth it to spend more and buy a x570 motherboard instead of the b450? (Performance gain or for future overclocking maybe?)

Not sure of PCWorld's rep, but this article seemed legitimate to me:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3527873/asus-blames-amd-guidelines-for-high-rog-strix-radeon-rx-5700-temperatures-announces-fix.html

It definitely specifies heat issues on the initial run of Strix 5700 XT cards, due to improperly tightened mounting screws, an issue which, by my understanding, has been rectified in more recently produced cards - see photo 7 in this build here:
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/wnsZxr

The builder mentions the addition of "springloaded" screws, which you can see in that photo.

As for power requirements, your build is similar to one I've been considering (I'm also waffling on the Strix X570 or TUF X570), and pcpartpicker.com's system builder gives a 424W estimate for this comparable build:

Component                                                                                                   Estimated Wattage
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor                                           11W - 95W
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler         5W - 10W
Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard                               17W - 70W
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory                   14W
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive              2W - 10W
Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB STRIX Gaming OC Video Card                  56W - 225W
Total:    424W

So, I can't tell you for certain, but it seems by those estimates that the 650W should have headroom enough for the build you're considering. Seeing the estimates had me pull my planned PSU down from a 750W to a 650W. I can't speak to the ASUS PSU reliability.

Good luck!

Shutter