How can phones have HDR if their panels are 8-bit?

itripley

I thought all HDR displays were inherently 10-bit because all the HDR content I find (4K Blu-rays, etc.) is 10-bit but recently I just found out that there are a lot of HDR displays, like all the flagships smartphones (some exceptions are the ROG Phone II and the new OnePlus 8 Pro) and a lot of Vesa Certified DisplayHDR monitors (like my Dell S2719DC), out here that are only 8-bit. I know there are a lot of factors like brightness and contrast but I feel like color(s) is the most important thing in High Dynamic Range and I don't understand how they can be truly HDR, I'm guessing all this time these displays were all along HDAren't or HDR compatible.

This is the problem with HDR at the moment, it's not very clearly defined. But you're right, proper HDR does require a 10-bit panel. But they can use 8-bit color with dithering to attempt to fake 10-bit HDR. Or they can just try and put HDR in the spec sheet even though there's really nothing HDR about it.

You may want to look for compliance with a particular HDR specification to get a better idea of what kind of HDR a particular screen is actually offering.