750Mbps wifi router with only 100Mbps ethernet ports + getting a new router

mazaman

So whats the point of having only 100Mbps ethernet ports on a wifi router that is capable of 750Mbps wireless speeds? For example this Asus router https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC51U/specifications/ . In my mind the most speed you can get out of that thing is 100Mbps, because the signal must come from cable. Or is this model meant to be part of a mesh network and just repeat signal it got from the air?  I'm not buying this, just wondering why it has such ports. I am in the market for a new wifi router though. It is going to replace modem integrated wifi router in my parents house, so almost anything would be better. I have looked at other Asus routers because I have RT-AC52U at home. So I'm thinking between RT-AC52U and RT-AC66U. 66U is double the cost, but would probably be more suited for multiple users in large house with multiple floors. They have wifi range extender at the other side of the house.

the 750 is a BS marketing thing.

you get 300 Mbps on 2.4 MAX when connecting with all antenna's at 1 m :D

and 433 Mbps on 5Ghz also in perfect conditions.

Wifi speed is always half duplex.. so in perfect conditions it would be 150Mbps / 216Mbps

Take into account more then 1 person connecting and overhead and you will never go over the full duplex 100Mbps connection of the LAN.

Besides its an older device, so 100 Mb connections arent that weird.

Yup, I know that you almost newer get advertised speeds. In dual channel in theory you get more speed. Well, that half duplex thing was new to me, so it kinda explains only 100Mbps ports. In 2020 I would not get that device, there are similarly priced options with better wireless and wired speeds available from asus and other manufacturers.

28 minutes ago, Dujith said:

the 750 is a BS marketing thing.

you get 300 Mbps on 2.4 MAX when connecting with all antenna's at 1 m :D

and 433 Mbps on 5Ghz also in perfect conditions.

Wifi speed is always half duplex.. so in perfect conditions it would be 150Mbps / 216Mbps

Take into account more then 1 person connecting and overhead and you will never go over the full duplex 100Mbps connection of the LAN.

Besides its an older device, so 100 Mb connections arent that weird.

You're right, except half-duplex doesn't mean its exactly half per direction, it just means it will be split between both directions in some manner.

Its not usually too bad as you won't generally be doing extreme downloading and uploading at the same time and most broadband connections are not symmetrical so you don't need the same speed in both directions at the same time there.

That said, those cheap routers are indeed junk.  As a rule of thumb, if it doesn't say 2x2 MIMO or higher, you know its crap.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

11 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You're right, except half-duplex doesn't mean its exactly half per direction, it just means it will be split between both directions in some manner.

Yeah, its simplified. The half duplex nature of wifi means it will do a RX and then waits for the TX both parties cannot speak at once with this setup.

Which means in practice you get roughly half the speed as much of it is spent waiting. There is no division of the bandwith as its switching between RX and TX :(

Just now, Dujith said:

Yeah, its simplified. The half duplex nature of wifi means it will do a RX and then waits for the TX both parties cannot speak at once with this setup.

Which means in practice you get roughly half the speed as much of it is spent waiting. There is no division of the bandwith as its switching between RX and TX :(

The strange thing is, the "roughly half" doesn't always apply.  For example, I can get 700Mbit out of an 866Mbit link speed on my phone but for some strange reason I need a 1300Mbit link speed to achieve the same on my laptops.

I'd love for someone to explain why on earth that is as it makes no sense.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd love for someone to explain why on earth that is as it makes no sense.

Your phone has more antennas? I notice the same on my laptop vs my phone as well :D 

21 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Your phone has more antennas? I notice the same on my laptop vs my phone as well :D 

Nope, both 2x2 MIMO.  But for some crazy reason I need 160Mhz channel width for the laptops to get the same speed my phone does at 80Mhz (as it doesn't support 160Mhz).