adding an Rpi + display to case

Takumidesh

I have an NZXT H500, i am interested in putting a display with a Raspberry Pi into the case to show different information about the pc as well as information about other devices on the network. (temps, torrent status, uptime, etc.)

My initial ideas were to just stick the display and pi in the empty space inside the case. However I have been thinking about cutting a hole into the front of the case to mount it. Has anyone had success with something like this?

I am trying to work out solutions for powering the pi and display. I don't know if its possible or safe, but it would be awesome to have it powered by the PSU, but otherwise would just be routing power cables out through the back of the case (maybe through one of the pci slots? 

and then of course locating the best spot for the display.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

On 4/13/2020 at 6:53 PM, Takumidesh said:

-SNIP-

Cutting through the case is possible given the tools, it will require some clean up afterwards to straighten out the edges if you plan to use something like a Dremel.

As for powering the Pi as long as you have a USB port that is capable of providing extra juice like for phone charging it should be easy enough to a cable to route either to the back of the case or to an internal header. 

• 2 weeks later...

For USB power, if you want to keep everything internal, you could try to find a molex-usb adpater. Depending on which RPi version you're using, you just need to make sure the amperage is sufficient.

Modding the case is up to you of course, but pending your experience level of cutting metal suggest trying it out on scrap metal (old PC case if you can get any). One thing to consider using the front of the case is your cooling solution. If you have a front mounted rad or fan, you'll be putting a heat source in front of them. That NZXT case pulls air from the side and bottom (I think), and even tho the RPi and display should be minimal heat, it will change the thermodynamics of the inside of the case.

Question for you to consider. Does the RPi and display need to be in the case? Why not use a table top setup or mount it on the wall or to your desk? It'll be less invasive to your PC and require less modding. Just something to consider, I know it would look BA for it to be in the case, but the question is, is it worth the hassle? Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your progress.

6 hours ago, burh4n said:

For USB power, if you want to keep everything internal, you could try to find a molex-usb adpater. Depending on which RPi version you're using, you just need to make sure the amperage is sufficient.

Modding the case is up to you of course, but pending your experience level of cutting metal suggest trying it out on scrap metal (old PC case if you can get any). One thing to consider using the front of the case is your cooling solution. If you have a front mounted rad or fan, you'll be putting a heat source in front of them. That NZXT case pulls air from the side and bottom (I think), and even tho the RPi and display should be minimal heat, it will change the thermodynamics of the inside of the case.

Question for you to consider. Does the RPi and display need to be in the case? Why not use a table top setup or mount it on the wall or to your desk? It'll be less invasive to your PC and require less modding. Just something to consider, I know it would look BA for it to be in the case, but the question is, is it worth the hassle? Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your progress.

It probably is more practical to just have a small display on my desk, I just think its super cool, and having the customization sets the computer apart. in the end, the toughest decision to make with if I want to proceed with the project, is ultimately do I want to cut up a nice case. 

I have kind of shifted my thinking to setting up the device first as a standalone, and seeing how much use i get out of it.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

Definitely a good call to set it up and use it for a bit. I agree that having it built into the case would be very cool, but it does seem like it could be quite the headache. Either way good luck and please share your progress