Chipset

Hello,

I have an i7-6700 CPU, but I want to buy a new motherboard. I'm not familiar with chipsets, so my question is: which chipset is compatible with my CPU?

Just now, Perrin said:

Did you mean i7-6700?

yes, sorry

4 minutes ago, Tholo said:

Hello,

I have an i6-6700 CPU, but I want to buy a new motherboard. I'm not familiar with chipsets, so my question is: which chipset is compatible with my CPU?

Do you already have a motherboard for it? Why do you want a new one?

all of the 100 series and 200 series chipsets are compatible.

H110, Z270, B250, H170, etc. What reason do you want a new motherboard for? did your current one break?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, jaslion said:

Do you already have a motherboard for it? Why do you want a new one?

I already have a prebuild but I want to make a few upgrades to my PC and so I I'd also like to get a new motherboard.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

all of the 100 series and 200 series chipsets are compatible.

H110, Z270, B250, H170, etc. What reason do you want a new motherboard for? did your current one break?

I want a new case and this one wont fit. Plus, I want to make some other changes. But thank you

Unless you need a feature that your current motherboard doesn't have, you shouldn't upgrade.  A new motherboard wont make that CPU, which is not overclockable, run better.

4 minutes ago, Tholo said:

I want a new case and this one wont fit. Plus, I want to make some other changes. But thank you

cheap micro atx boards on eBay are pretty common then, B150 and B250 boards are often the best basic motherboards. Mind that the max ram speed available for these motherboards are DDR4 2133 and DDR4 2400 respectively. Also mind that these chipsets are going to remain limited to 6th and 7th gen intel CPUs, in case you were interested in upgrading to 8th or 9th gen.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Unless you need a feature that your current motherboard doesn't have, you shouldn't upgrade.  A new motherboard wont make that CPU, which is not overclockable, run better.

Thats also not the reason Im changing. I'd like to get a new case, psu and graphicscard and in my prebuild this wont be possible and I'd like to take the CPU out and put it in the new one

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

cheap micro atx boards on eBay are pretty common then, B150 and B250 boards are often the best basic motherboards. Mind that the max ram speed available for these motherboards are DDR4 2133 and DDR4 2400 respectively. Mind that these chipsets are going to remain limited to 6th and 7th gen intel CPUs, in case you were interested in upgrading to 8th or 9th gen.

Yes I will, thank you very much.