Sounds like a quiet microwave

NinjaWolfess

This evening out of nowhere, I heard a strange sound coming from my comp.

Know how a really quiet microwave sounds when it ramps up? It's like that hum, on and off, repeatedly and consistently.

Leaned down, saw one of my fans weren't spinning (though my comp was doing very little so nothing was warm) so I started changing my fan speeds within MSI Command Centre to see if I could isolate the sound to one of the fans. All the fans started spinning appropriately, but the sound continued. Couldn't feel a vibration anywhere. Started sticking my head in different areas to see where it was loudest, and it's loudest towards the rear of the case, where there's 1 fan and the PSU.

Not to narrow things down on no knowledge, but it's an old PSU, and I have a baseless fear of something zapping violently and destructively if that is the case. First question - safe to operate till I know what's up? Secondly, wtf?

PSU: https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ocz-gamexstream-700-w-power-supply/

Mobo: MSI X370

GPU: GTX1050ti

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

6 brand new fans in a neatly wired Fractal Meshify C case, a sound card, USB 3.0 expansion card, and played some Beat Saber earlier today with temps below 60c. When the sound started, I was sitting on discord, watching friends' streams.

38 minutes ago, NinjaWolfess said:

Not to narrow things down on no knowledge, but it's an old PSU,

If you want to be 100% sure that is the PSU, you can use a plastic pen or stick (NOTHING METAL) to stop the fan from spinning. If it happens all the time, its easier to stop the fan before you turn on the pc. Obliviously it's dangerous to run the power supply for more than a few mins without the fan running.

Though eitherway I personally wouldn't be comfortable using a 14 yr old PSU in my system.

Examples of good units: (aim for 650w at most)

BeQuiet Straight Power 11 (Gold)

Corsair HX (Platinum)

Super Flower Leadex Gold III

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

If you want to be 100% sure that is the PSU, you can use a plastic pen or stick (NOTHING METAL) to stop the fan from spinning. If it happens all the time, its easier to stop the fan before you turn on the pc.

I don't trust my 2am brain - are you suggesting I stop the PSU fan temporarily to find the sound?

Yeah, I've had no issues with the PSU for the 10 years I've owned it, and it's a much higher capacity than I'll ever need, so I was hoping I wouldn't need to replace it just cause it's old. 

17 minutes ago, NinjaWolfess said:

I don't trust my 2am brain - are you suggesting I stop the PSU fan temporarily to find the sound?

Yeah, I've had no issues with the PSU for the 10 years I've owned it, and it's a much higher capacity than I'll ever need, so I was hoping I wouldn't need to replace it just cause it's old. 

yeah if the sound stops when the fan stops, then you know its the PSU.

This would mean that the PSU fan is on the way out.

Modern power supplies are much more efficient, have longer life fans, better components and more protections.