Cpu getting hot even after applying thermal paste

Glavinus
Go to solution Solved by MartinKweh,

When gaming or using it, place it on a flat surface or elevate the laptop a bit to allow better air flow. Using a cooling pad for laptops also helps a bit. 

Another option is undervolting 

Hi guys!
I have acer nitro 5 an515-52 15.6" ,12gb ram,with i7-8750H and gtx 1050,
due to overheating and throttling i have repasted it with thermal grizzy kryonaut ,
i used pea method to apply it,and cleaned all vents and fans to ensure its dust free,
it usually goes upto 99 degree celsius while gaming,
it dropped 20 degree celsius and it was fine but,
one week later it again began to rise upto 99 degrees,
i cant repaste it weekly, and i need it most because due to covid 19 i cant get outside,
is it paste problem or my application?
and i need a suggestion of a very long lasting paste and not which drops a huge temperature,
thanks,
here is the screenshot of my nitrosense reading temperatures,

https://imgur.com/a/O2iPHLD#umeOpCM

and this is how my interior looks like,

https://imgur.com/a/cA3BxEc

When gaming or using it, place it on a flat surface or elevate the laptop a bit to allow better air flow. Using a cooling pad for laptops also helps a bit. 

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

mobile processor don't have heat spreader. make sure you cover the whole die with thermal paste.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

8 minutes ago, MartinKweh said:

when gaming, and this is my temp just before i start playing

https://imgur.com/a/6tolqgm

i tried undervolting my pc to -0.135v(max stable uldervolt) using intel xtu, but not helps, still running hot.

i usually place my laptop on my mouse pad on a flat surface,am i doing something wrong?

Just now, Glavinus said:

when gaming, and this is my temp just before i start playing

https://imgur.com/a/6tolqgm

Can't seem to load imgur today, can you use forum attachment? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

Can't seem to load imgur today, can you use forum attachment? 

internals-general-1.jpg

Annotation 2020-04-13 102310.png

Untitled.png

10 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

mobile processor don't have heat spreader. make sure you cover the whole die with thermal paste.

few days ago i repasted it again using spread method, now my temps are still reaching 99, but slowly.

Try elevating the back end a bit when using it. It might help in expelling the hot air. Use something like a piece of wood to elevate the back end by about .5 inch to about an inch to see if it helps in the temperature.

CURRENT PC SPECS    

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

1 minute ago, MartinKweh said:

Try elevating the back end a bit when using it. It might help in expelling the hot air. Use something like a piece of wood to elevate the back end by about .5 inch to about an inch to see if it helps in the temperature.

thanks, let me check

In addition to that you can try disable Turboboost and see if it affect your gaming experience. To disable boost you need to set Min and Max Processor State to under 100 in power option. 

12 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

In addition to that you can try disable Turboboost and see if it affect your gaming experience. To disable boost you need to set Min and Max Processor State to under 100 in power option. 

i tried that too, it was sticking to base clock 2.20Ghz and it works(70-80 degree celsius no throttling), but,only in few games i get optimal performance.while using emulators, i had to change it back to high performace, it is soo laggy, i tried using throttlestop, but it was horrible,i lost few fps along with temperature

26 minutes ago, MartinKweh said:

My fans are louder now, and never crossed 90 degree celsius,i will plan to buy a cooling pad and see if this works better.

and which thermal paste is good and more stable?i am planning to buy thermal paste,my old one is almost empty.

Annotation 2020-04-13 110014.png

16 minutes ago, Glavinus said:

i tried that too, it was sticking to base clock 2.20Ghz and it works(70-80 degree celsius no throttling), but,only in few games i get optimal performance.while using emulators, i had to change it back to high performace, it is soo laggy, i tried using throttlestop, but it was horrible,i lost few fps along with temperature

Android emulator? I used Nox and it's not CPU intensive even for my old 3770.

8 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Android emulator? I used Nox and it's not CPU intensive even for my old 3770.

tencent gaming buddy or gameloop, to play pubg mobile and cod mobile, it is the only emulator i find the games like pubg mobile is smoother like 60fps at all max.

which thermal paste is good and more stable?i am planning to buy thermal paste,my old one is almost empty.

almost anything is good as long as its reputable. depending on your budget. Personally i like arctic MX-4 since it doesnt need any cure time.

CURRENT PC SPECS    

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

On 4/13/2020 at 7:45 PM, Glavinus said:

which thermal paste is good and more stable?i am planning to buy thermal paste,my old one is almost empty.

Kryonaut work fine for my old i7 laptop. IMO even a cheap Cooler Master Mastergel will work fine, probably better since it's not as thick since laptop heatsink pressure is weaker compare to desktop cooler. 

On 4/14/2020 at 5:47 PM, xAcid9 said:

Kryonaut work fine for my old i7 laptop. IMO even a cheap Cooler Master Mastergel will work fine, probably better since it's not as thick since laptop heatsink pressure is weaker compare to desktop cooler. 

ok i will buy cooler master mastergel and artic mx4 after the covid 19 lockdown and check my temps, and i will try using a cooler pad and see it that works, thanks

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2020 at 7:59 PM, MartinKweh said:

almost anything is good as long as its reputable. depending on your budget. Personally i like arctic MX-4 since it doesnt need any cure time.

On 4/14/2020 at 5:47 PM, xAcid9 said:

On 4/13/2020 at 10:37 AM, MartinKweh said:

Hi guys!!

Finally my heating issues are over!

I made my own version of laptop stand,

I used artic mx4 thermal paste, and i replaced all thermal pads

cpu(core,cache,gpu) undervolted to -141.6mv

gpu undervolted to -0.120v

now my temp readings are less than 90 degree celsius on full load with automatic fans,

thanks!!..

IMG_20200601_220350.jpg

IMG_20200605_124010.jpg

IMG_20200605_124340.jpg