Minecraft servers

My brother and I love to play modded minecraft together, we can almost never find decent servers running the mod packs we want to play.

We're starting to discuss investing in some used/budget server hardware that one of us can host in our home to allow us to load a mod pack, play through it and then choose another pack and repeat.

My question is what kind of hardware should I be looking at to allow us to play "almost any" pack out there without too much lag.  It's just the 2 of us and I've tried hosting on my old machine, it just can't handle the workload.

7 minutes ago, tlmills82 said:

My brother and I love to play modded minecraft together, we can almost never find decent servers running the mod packs we want to play.

We're starting to discuss investing in some used/budget server hardware that one of us can host in our home to allow us to load a mod pack, play through it and then choose another pack and repeat.

My question is what kind of hardware should I be looking at to allow us to play "almost any" pack out there without too much lag.  It's just the 2 of us and I've tried hosting on my old machine, it just can't handle the workload.

I can try to help you, how much is your budget?

37 minutes ago, the sff pc dude said:

I can try to help you, how much is your budget?

I'm not sure, neither of us want to spend a ton on it, as we could just use a host online for relatively cheap.

This: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-7010-DT-500GB-HDD-I7-3770-8GB-1/114181187504

and an SSD to migrate your Windows & Minecraft to, and use the HDD as backups etc.. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

10 hours ago, tlmills82 said:

I'm not sure, neither of us want to spend a ton on it, as we could just use a host online for relatively cheap.

here is a online hosting server I use for free:  https://www.minehut.com

I run a server and play on a i7-6700k, 16-32gb 3200mhz ddr4, and a gtx 1070. I have played almost every popular modpack in the last 6 years on that, often with shaders and serving 2-4 players. No problems yet! Actually if you have a relatively fast multi-core processor and enough ram(would reccomend 16gb so you can still have a browser open, explorer running and a desktop wallpaper) you can actually get a performance benefit from running a server and client at the same time as java edition minecraft isn't very good at making use of more than one core. Hosting a server spreads the load over 2 cores.

This isn't always an option, but I've run many minecnaft test servers off a headless raspberry pi. And with the RP4 4gb, you could run a decent mc server for you and your mates. I quite like this approach as I don't have space for an ugly space heater.

So a good desktop will do you well, servers are normally power hungry and loud but one option i have done that worked great was use a intel NUC. I only had the 8th Gen i3 version with 16gb of DDR4 but it work great for my small modded minecraft server with a few mates on, plus wasnt super power hungry. Personally i would of like a i5 or i7 more but i3 done well.

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro