ancient gaming rig

shanks86

Hello all, hope you are well.

I have a PC I use for very occasional steam streaming to my imac 5k (which is my primary work computer these days); honestly i game a couple of times a year these days, however with the lockdown I decided to play some newer games, ie: gears 5. short story- it ran like a pig & was averaging 20-30fps at 900p res with medium/high settings. even 720 low was 35fps; the VRAM usage was 2.3gb at 1080, so I am assuming my card is just rubbish now (I thought the 780 would be better than a 1050 which appears to get decent fps in gears)

My question is if I upgrade the GPU (EVGA nvidia 780SC), will it make any real difference, ie will the rest of my rig be a total bottleneck to a new card, or is it worth getting something like a 1660 super? Tbh am just looking for 1080p high detail gaming in things like new COD/ Gears- nothing too fancy. If pointless, will likely just move over to a console as my use is really not enough to justify £1000 on a new PC

Specs of my PC:

i5 3450

8gbRAM

1TB HDD

EVGA 780 SC 3gb

I would look at task manager and see if your cpu is being maxed out. If not then upgrading could help, but if it is upgrading most likely won't make a diffrence.

Thanks- I ran the gears 5 benchmark in 1080 (it wasnt pretty) & the result shows it is 87.15% GPU bound (? what does that even mean- like would an upgraded card help?)- when i tried to look at task manager CPU utilisation looked close to 100%, but i'm not sure if that is because i alt-tabbed & only have 8gb RAM.

Thanks again.