Memory confusion

Go to solution Solved by Earnist_,

yes each stick is 4gb. it says 8 because the 2 sticks with 4gb each makes an 8gb kit of ram

I am a first builder and I am building a PC with really old parts that my friend didn't need and kindly gave to me. The motherboard is a crosshair iv extreme (yes very old, I know) and my friend even gave me some RAM (Corsair vengeance pro ddr3). As the motherboard only supports 4gb of RAM per slot I am not sure if the RAM will be compatible. I have uploaded a picture of the same RAM I have and it clearly says 8gb on the sticker but my friend is adamant that it is 4gb. Could I please have some help clearing this up and thanks in advance. As a side note I have added this RAM to my saved list on pcpartpicker.com and it says it's incompatible with my motherboard.

ram.PNG

1 minute ago, MTrencovski said:

I am a first builder and I am building a PC with really old parts that my friend kindly didn't need and gave to me. The motherboard is a crosshair iv extreme (yes very old, I know) and my friend even gave me some RAM (Corsair vengeance pro ddr3). As the motherboard only supports 4gb of RAM per slot I am not sure if the RAM will be compatible. I have uploaded a picture of the same RAM I have and it clearly says 8gb on the sticker but my friend is adamant that it is 4gb. Could I please have some help clearing this up and thanks in advance.

ram.PNG

It's 4GB. It belongs to an 8GB set comprised of 2 sticks of 4GB each (you can see them at the bottom of the sticker, where it says "8GB (2x4GB)").

It's very fast RAM, so your motherboard+CPU memory controller may struggle running it at their advertised speeds, depending on how lucky you are (it's quite likely they'll work just fine). In any case, it will default to standard speeds (1333MHz or 1600MHz) which will work fine, and then you can try to enable their "XMP profile" in the BIOS to check if they also run fine at 2666MHz.

Just now, Earnist_ said:

it is an 8gb kit, if you look it says 2x4 which 8 means 8gb total with 4gb on each stick

Hi. Sorry I am still a little confused could you explain exactly how much RAM is on a sibgle stick and if it is compatible

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It's 4GB. It belongs to an 8GB set comprised of 2 sticks of 4GB each (you can see them at the bottom of the sticker, where it says "8GB (2x4GB)").

It's very fast RAM, so your motherboard+CPU memory controller may struggle running it at their advertised speeds, depending on how lucky you are (it's quite likely they'll work just fine). In any case, it will default to standard speeds (1333MHz or 1600MHz) which will work fine, and then you can try to enable their "XMP profile" in the BIOS to check if they also run fine at 2666MHz.

So its compatible??

Just now, Earnist_ said:

yes each stick is 4gb. it says 8 because the 2 sticks with 4gb each makes an 8gb kit of ram

Thank you so much I really appreciate it :)

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Thank you for your comment I really appreciate it :)