SLIGHT DILEMMA

desiigner93

So i found on the internet used Vapor x HD 7950 and i wanted to buy it and the dude told me it was used for mining but guarantees that gpu passed 3d tests and its working and it was cooled with other coolers not just the coolers of the gpu if that makes sense should i buy it or nah i mean it is one of very few choices i have other one is go for r9 280x and pray to work with 300w +12V rail... help me plss its urgent

3 minutes ago, desiigner93 said:

So i found on the internet used Vapor x HD 7950 and i wanted to buy it and the dude told me it was used for mining but guarantees that gpu passed 3d tests and its working and it was cooled with other coolers not just the coolers of the gpu if that makes sense should i buy it or nah i mean it is one of very few choices i have other one is go for r9 280x and pray to work with 300w +12V rail... help me plss its urgent

A hd 7950 or r9 280x will not work on a 300w psu. I highly doubt that that psu even has the necessary cables for them and no adapters are NOT an option. If the psu doesn't have the cables natively it's basically saying that it cannot ever power those devices.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

A hd 7950 or r9 280x will not work on a 300w psu. I highly doubt that that psu even has the necessary cables for them and no adapters are NOT an option. If the psu doesn't have the cables natively it's basically saying that it cannot ever power those devices.

That's not totally true about adapters. You can run a GPU with adapters fine if the PSU has the wattage. A lot of older PSUs didn't have 2 8pin connectors even when they could easily supply that much power. 

In this case, 300 watts is NO WAY possible for those GPUs. Also, why would anyone want to buy a Radeon 7950? It's only worth being free. 

OP can buy a GTX 1050ti or 1650 and get away with it on the 300 watt PSU most likely. Other than that, gotta do a bigger upgrade and replace PSU and GPU. 

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

nono its 550w psu

Just now, toasty99 said:

That's not totally true about adapters. You can run a GPU with adapters fine if the PSU has the wattage. A lot of older PSUs didn't have 2 8pin connectors even when they could easily supply that much power. 

In this case, 300 watts is NO WAY possible for those GPUs. Also, why would anyone want to buy a Radeon 7950? It's only worth being free. 

OP can buy a GTX 1050ti or 1650 and get away with it on the 300 watt PSU most likely. Other than that, gotta do a bigger upgrade. 

Even then if the adapters work only good qualtiy older psu's are a hard maybe. As they were not built with the powerdraw in mind. Especially if you do for say a molex/sata to 6 pin adpater.

1 minute ago, desiigner93 said:

nono its 550w psu

What 550w psu? Those cards are still quite powerhungry and need a good quality unit to work.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What 550w psu? Those cards are still quite powerhungry and need a good quality unit to work.

Its oem +12V/25A rail dont know some other guy said it will be ok but it will be nice to replace

Just now, desiigner93 said:

Its oem +12V/25A rail dont know some other guy said it will be ok but it will be nice to replace

Got a picture of the sticker with all it's info? Oem psu's are either just bad cheap stuff or quite decent just enough units.

Just now, jaslion said:

Got a picture of the sticker with all it's info? Oem psu's are either just bad cheap stuff or quite decent just enough units.

can you go on other post of mine its there i dont have it on pc right now pls 

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

if u havve time ofc 

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

nope i got it 

2 minutes ago, desiigner93 said:

can you go on other post of mine its there i dont have it on pc right now pls 

Well you basically got your answer there. Replace it with a quality unit and be able to choose any card you want. Or get a low power gpu now and replace it later. That psu is not one to trust and you really should not push it. As said there it's really only a 300w psu once you do the math.

Yeah that power supply will be fine for a regular GPU. 

Don't buy a R9 280 or Radeon 7950 that's just stupid. 

Listen, hop on AliExpress and have a Chinese RX 570, 580, 470, or 480 imported. Cheap as all heck and they are great budget cards. That PSU will have no problem handling them. Basically in order of performance the entry level is the 470, a 570 is better than a 470, then the 480 beats a 570, and the 580 beats everything. 

The 470 4gb cards are like $70 USD. The RX 580 8gb cards are $120 USD. Just pick the best that fits in your budget. Since you're buying from China it should be cheap to import no matter where you are at. 

If those don't fit in your budget... Well, start saving because anything cheaper just isn't really worth your time unless it's nearly free.