Changing the screen size.

Caten_

Hi, I have a 32 inch monitor and I'd like to make it virtually smaller but i really coudn't seem to find a way to do it anywhere. I tried googling it but no luck. Does anyone know what software i could use to do it?I want it to look like this.Untitled.thumb.png.2f8ecf28753f99e532b3f8b49ac9873f.png

Edit: Shit sorry I just realized this was the wrong place to post this, new to this forums. My bad

On some monitors when you change the resolution you can disable it to scale up, I believe nVidia and AMD have some options in their menus as well. Can you explain what you are trying to achieve my shrinking down the usable screen?

Just now, Applefreak said:

On some monitors when you change the resolution you can disable it to scale up, I believe nVidia and AMD have some options in their menus as well. Can you explain what you are trying to achieve my shrinking down the usable screen?

Oh well when I bought the monitor all i did was watch netflix and youtube. But recently ive been getting back into gaming and started playing the new cod mw but my r9 380 2gb is struggling. I'm getting massive fps drops. Ive tried changing the rendering resolution to 720p which did help a lot but the game now looks like utter garbage. So i thought if virtually reduced the size of my screen the game would look better in 720p. The screen is 1440p which is probably why it looks like garbo when i turn it down to 720p. Also it still freezes at 720p but a lot less but still does freeze mainly when someone starts shooting me or when im landing right before i hit the ground even tho everything is already loaded in which is kinda weird but i just think my pc just cant handle the game. Ive got i5 4770k OC'd to 4.1GHz and 8gb ram. If you got any solution to that then feel free to give me some advice but not necessary cuz its not the point of this post

7 minutes ago, Caten_ said:

Oh well when I bought the monitor all i did was watch netflix and youtube. But recently ive been getting back into gaming and started playing the new cod mw but my r9 380 2gb is struggling. I'm getting massive fps drops. Ive tried changing the rendering resolution to 720p which did help a lot but the game now looks like utter garbage. So i thought if virtually reduced the size of my screen the game would look better in 720p. The screen is 1440p which is probably why it looks like garbo when i turn it down to 720p. Also it still freezes at 720p but a lot less but still does freeze mainly when someone starts shooting me or when im landing right before i hit the ground even tho everything is already loaded in which is kinda weird but i just think my pc just cant handle the game. Ive got i5 4770k OC'd to 4.1GHz and 8gb ram. If you got any solution to that then feel free to give me some advice but not necessary cuz its not the point of this post

Did you also try reducing various quality settings? You might be able to lower some of them without really noticing a huge difference, especially in the midst of battle.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Well that is odd and I believe you have another issue. I can play MW on a GTX 960 2 GB with a Core 2 Quad from 2008 at medium-settings 1080p at around 45 to 70 fps.

Select medium settings (normal or low) and disable motion blur.

EDIT: Just found this page with the settings and their impact on performance (LINK)

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Did you also try reducing various quality settings? You might be able to lower some of them without really noticing a huge difference, especially in the midst of battle.

Yeah I have basically everything to lowest. If i lower my graphics even more i won't be able see anyone further than 10m. it's already really shit but if i lower it even more than there is no point of even playing you know? And I can actually play bf5 at 1080p medium settings at 60fps. But ive gone through every single improve fps guide. but no luck. I even reinstalled my windows which actually fixed all my freezing problems but then s3 came out. and now its even worse than it was before. So I've given up trying to fix it. So im just trying to virtually make my screen size smaller so it at least looks alright

11 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Well that is odd and I believe you have another issue. I can play MW on a GTX 960 2 GB with a Core 2 Quad from 2008 at medium-settings 1080p at around 45 to 70 fps.

Yeah.. idk. There is nothing really i can do about it. I've tried everything

normally u can do it in nvidia settings if you change the resolution but in aspect ratio dont select the stretch to fit or anything

2 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

normally u can do it in nvidia settings if you change the resolution but in aspect ratio dont select the stretch to fit or anything

I have AMD. I couldn't find anything like that. I tried creating a custom resolution but it didnt allow me to go lower than 1440p. Just allowed me to change the refresh rate and some other stuff

Just now, Caten_ said:

I have AMD. I couldn't find anything like that. I tried creating a custom resolution but it didnt allow me to go lower than 1440p. Just allowed me to change the refresh rate and some other stuff

have u tried just playing games in windowed and changing the resolution in the game settings itself? then just get a black background hide icons and its exactly what you want.

7 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

have u tried just playing games in windowed and changing the resolution in the game settings itself? then just get a black background hide icons and its exactly what you want.

I haven't tried it but I'm already having performance issues. If i change it to windowed ill have even worse fps. Which is why I want to create the virtual display. 

1 minute ago, Caten_ said:

I haven't tried it but I'm already having performance issues. If i change it to windowed ill have even worse fps. Which is why I want to create the virtual display. 

you'll have to try it then. i dont think you will lose much fps tbh i dont think ive ever noticed me losing any. u could try just increasing priority of the game also if it does decrease fps.

15 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

you'll have to try it then. i dont think you will lose much fps tbh i dont think ive ever noticed me losing any. u could try just increasing priority of the game also if it does decrease fps.

okay, thanks. i'll try it out later. 

22 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

Actually I just realized in windowed mode I cant take advantage of my 75hz. Which is a problem

55 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

EDIT: Just found this page with the settings and their impact on performance (LINK)

I'll try going through my settings again but i really don't think that's the problem

1 hour ago, Applefreak said:

Ok changed my settings and tried increasing them. Im getting a bit lower fps but now im not getting the same kind of lag spikes? which is really weird. Now when i land and getting shot at im fine but now im getting completely random lag spikes for a shorter amount of time. this honestly makes no sense

3 hours ago, Caten_ said:

Actually I just realized in windowed mode I cant take advantage of my 75hz. Which is a problem

why not?

8 hours ago, The Torrent said:

why not?

Um cuz pretty sure all games lock at 60hz when not in fullscreen