Gaming with two display

Moonman21

I was wondering if it's possible to use my second display while gaming to multi task?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070, RAM: T force rgb 16gb 3200Mhz, Mobo: Asrock B450M Pro4, Storage: Adata 128Gb SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb HDD 7.2kRPM, PSU: Corsair 750W 80+ bronze,Case: Corsair 280x, Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless, Speakers: Bose Companion Speakers

1 minute ago, Moonman21 said:

I was wondering if it's possible to use my second display while gaming to multi task?

If so how do I do it?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070, RAM: T force rgb 16gb 3200Mhz, Mobo: Asrock B450M Pro4, Storage: Adata 128Gb SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb HDD 7.2kRPM, PSU: Corsair 750W 80+ bronze,Case: Corsair 280x, Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless, Speakers: Bose Companion Speakers

12 minutes ago, Moonman21 said:

If so how do I do it?

Some games will let you "tab out" others don't like it. As far as how, depends on the brand of card. nVidia, AMD, or Intel? you can also set it up through Windows display settings.

It is possible. Depending on your card and you monitors you could even use both monitors to play the game and have super widescreen stuf.

As for gaming on 1 and having other apps at the other, yes very possible. Just note not all games work nicely with multi monitor setups.
(Even after over 10 years of using multiple monitors this is still an issue and highly infuriating. Sorry for my rant.)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

6 minutes ago, LFreeman said:

Some games will let you "tab out" others don't like it. As far as how, depends on the brand of card. nVidia, AMD, or Intel? you can also set it up through Windows display settings.

Nvidia, so how do I do it

Just now, Moonman21 said:

Nvidia, so how do I do it

Plug in both monitors.

3 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

It is possible. Depending on your card and you monitors you could even use both monitors to play the game and have super widescreen stuf.

As for gaming on 1 and having other apps at the other, yes very possible. Just note not all games work nicely with multi monitor setups.
(Even after over 10 years of using multiple monitors this is still an issue and highly infuriating. Sorry for my rant.)

How do I do it? Don't worry about the rant, I understand having to deal with bs.

Just now, LFreeman said:

I am assuming you have both plugged in for power. What connection types are you using?

HDMI what version I don't know.

Oh hell, even tho not asked here we go.

Make sure you have latest display drivers, just to be sure.
Then right click on your desktop click on "Display settings".

In there you should see a square with squares in it with numbers. If it shows 2 monitors we good, and you can click the 2nd and you should be able to activate.
If its not in that square we need to fix it so it shows up.

(I put screenshot of my page how it should look. ignore that its black)

Screenshot_58.png

4 minutes ago, LFreeman said:

ok so both are HDMI. Do you have anything showing on both?

Yes both are setup my primary is on the bottom and secondary on top

Yes both are setup my primary is on the bottom and secondary on top

Then you also want in that screen i showed to drag your 2nd monitor on top of the 1st so you can use them as they are. (as in moving mouse upwards will go to 2nd monitor.)

4 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Oh hell, even tho not asked here we go.

Make sure you have latest display drivers, just to be sure.
Then right click on your desktop click on "Display settings".

In there you should see a square with squares in it with numbers. If it shows 2 monitors we good, and you can click the 2nd and you should be able to activate.
If its not in that square we need to fix it so it shows up.

(I put screenshot of my page how it should look. ignore that its black)

Screenshot_58.png

1,11x some posts. I see how..

3 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Then you also want in that screen i showed to drag your 2nd monitor on top of the 1st so you can use them as they are. (as in moving mouse upwards will go to 2nd monitor.)

I already have done that on Nvidia control panel and works just fine.

I already have done that on Nvidia control panel and works just fine.

Than what is the question?

5 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Than what is the question?

While gaming can I make my cursor freely move between screens and if possible how do I do it? Since for me once I start a game it locks the cursor to one display and I have to alt tab everytime which to me defeats the purpose of having two display.

While gaming can I make my cursor freely move between screens and if possible how do I do it? Since for me once I start a game it locks the cursor to one display and I have to alt tab everytime which to me defeats the purpose of having two display.

Ah yes, sorry for not understanding the question earlier.

What i have to do, depends on the game i am playing. When i play GTA i have to press ALT+TAB but that will minimize GTA, but i can at least freely use the mouse on all the desktop. (behaviour would chage with different settings i would assume).
For World of Warships for example i only have to hit the WINkey. Altho it does pop up the start menu the mouse is freed. (yet the game stays visible).

And then there are games like Rocket League when there is a cursor it just moves all over the desktop. (sometimes have to press ESC to get the cursor to show as im playing with controller).

I hope this helped a bit, any questions keep them coming. :)

8 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Ah yes, sorry for not understanding the question earlier.

What i have to do, depends on the game i am playing. When i play GTA i have to press ALT+TAB but that will minimize GTA, but i can at least freely use the mouse on all the desktop. (behaviour would chage with different settings i would assume).
For World of Warships for example i only have to hit the WINkey. Altho it does pop up the start menu the mouse is freed. (yet the game stays visible).

And then there are games like Rocket League when there is a cursor it just moves all over the desktop. (sometimes have to press ESC to get the cursor to show as im playing with controller).

I hope this helped a bit, any questions keep them coming. :)

Yes thank you so I would have to pause the game in some manner to use the cursor freely to be able to move to my second monitor, is that correct?

Yes thank you so I would have to pause the game in some manner to use the cursor freely to be able to move to my second monitor, is that correct?

It would depends on the game, but in essence yes.
As most games 'capture' the cursor. To keep it on that screen and not lose it. Handy when playing the game, not so much when you want to multi task.

40 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

It would depends on the game, but in essence yes.
As most games 'capture' the cursor. To keep it on that screen and not lose it. Handy when playing the game, not so much when you want to multi task.

And that you know of is there any program out there to release the cursor from the game screen? Thank you for your help

5 hours ago, Moonman21 said:

And that you know of is there any program out there to release the cursor from the game screen? Thank you for your help

Not really (at least to my knowledge).
Setting your game to be in maximized borderless window (also called windowed fullscreen or any combination)