Idiot needs help with cpu selection

Hi, I am pretty embarrassingly unfamiliar with computers. I recently purchased a build with the components listed below. I currently have a bit of extra money and am under the impression that the only component I am lacking in is the cpu. Feel free to correct me. I am posting this, however, because I would appreciate help selecting a good cpu to upgrade to. I am an going into engineering(yes, and I am this clueless) and will be using my computer for coding and modeling on top of internet browsing and gaming. I prefer cheap but can probably go up to about $200. Thank you for your time.

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage ii GENE

RAM: 24GB DDR3

Power Supply: Corsair 750w

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 970 @ 3.20GHz

GPU: Radeon RX 580 Series 8 GB

Not going to find anything worthwhile with that budget. Stick to what you have and upgrade when you can afford a better selection

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

A new cpu would be good, but to get anything newer/better you would have to get a new motherboard and new RAM as well. I don't really see any way to upgrade from where you are with that amount of money.

9 minutes ago, CognizantPotato said:

A new cpu would be good, but to get anything newer/better you would have to get a new motherboard and new RAM as well. I don't really see any way to upgrade from where you are with that amount of money.

This is absolutely correct.

If you can find a used PC with something like a 4770k for maybe ~300 bucks, and pull that mobo, CPU and RAM, then sell your old stuff, basically mix and match the best from both to recoup some of the money that could work. But to buy new, nothing would be close to that price bracket. Your best bet is to find something newer gen that is used. Even a 3770k for the right price would be a good bump up in performance for sure. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Ah. Damn. Well, ok. So, to be clear, price of CPU isn't the question because I currently have the best CPU I can have within the restrictions present because of my motherboard and type of RAM, right? So, I would, in actuality, have to start with buying/finding a better motherboard, then better RAM, and then finally a better CPU? I super apologize if my questions are dumb or redundant. I am learning.

Follow up question, would upping my price bracket help? If so, about what prices are we talking? 4 digits is definitely not likely to happen, but I can definitely work to upping my bracket passed $200 decently soon.

Also, thank you for your answers.

21 minutes ago, NixPC said:

Ah. Damn. Well, ok. So, to be clear, price of CPU isn't the question because I currently have the best CPU I can have within the restrictions present because of my motherboard and type of RAM, right? So, I would, in actuality, have to start with buying/finding a better motherboard, then better RAM, and then finally a better CPU? I super apologize if my questions are dumb or redundant. I am learning.

Follow up question, would upping my price bracket help? If so, about what prices are we talking? 4 digits is definitely not likely to happen, but I can definitely work to upping my bracket passed $200 decently soon.

Also, thank you for your answers.

That ASUS Rampage ii GENE Supports up to a 990X processor which is 6 cores and 12 threads. Next below that is a 980X.

These are the top two processors for that setup.