Laptop Gpu overclocking

Abdu_101
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
Just now, Abdu_101 said:

any solution like changing the power adapter ?

Won't matter as msi has put a firmware lock on the gpu as to prevent issues. Adding a better adapter is not going to change that as msi intended for x laptop to be sold with y adapter so it comes with z firmware limitation.

Hello guys, this is my first post here, sorry for any mistakes

i have seen a video of linus changing the paste with liquid metal and then he overclocked the gpu 500+mhz on core speed, gpu was GTX 1080 Max-Q

how on earth could a laptop gpu be overclocked like that, been searching for a very long time but couldnt figure out how 

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Abdu_101 said:

Hello guys, this is my first post here, sorry for any mistakes

i have seen a video of linus changing the paste with liquid metal and then he overclocked the gpu 500+mhz on core speed, gpu was GTX 1080 Max-Q

how on earth could a laptop gpu be overclocked like that, been searching for a very long time but couldnt figure out how 

Thanks

You hardly find infos about it cause literally no one does it. Except for some REALLY special units, Laptops have a hard time already dealing with the heat a non oc part produces. Putting more stress on the cooling system which is at its limit already by overclocking in most cases is just a bad idea.

ESL Profile: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/2432327/

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

bequiet PURE POWER 600W 80+ bronze                  Corsair RM 650x 80+ gold

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB 

Depending on the laptop you can just do it like normal. I used to oc my 970m with around 200mhz on the core and it was fine at a nice 65c. However as Kenpachi1985 stated most laptops do not have any cooling headroom and so it just cannot be done. You also need to keep in mind. A lot of laptops also do not have much power headroom so an oc can go over the max the powerbrick can deliver and actually cause issues with sudden shutdowns.

I did overclock mine 200mhz clock and 350mhz memorybut its still doing less than 70c after liquid metal paste, i believe it can be pushed way further but msi afterburner doesnt allow because of power limit

4 minutes ago, Abdu_101 said:

I did overclock mine 200mhz clock and 350mhz memorybut its still doing less than 70c after liquid metal paste, i believe it can be pushed way further but msi afterburner doesnt allow because of power limit

This is as I said a safety limit to not overload the power brick of your laptop as that can only deliver so much power.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

This is as I said a safety limit to not overload the power brick of your laptop as that can only deliver so much power.

Just now, Abdu_101 said:

Won't matter as msi has put a firmware lock on the gpu as to prevent issues. Adding a better adapter is not going to change that as msi intended for x laptop to be sold with y adapter so it comes with z firmware limitation.

too bad as the laptop is really capable of pushing much more than this, thanks for clearing that, but how did linus do it ?