No cable, no dsl, no fiber what now?

I know I don't have much to choose from but anything but satellite internet please!! Right now ive been using mobile host spot and it is super slow!! I don't know if any good wireless networking exists but please give me my options for someone with no cables in America

Just some random guy who has a gaming computer to play on his Minecraft server

you've kind of answered your own question. either get satellite or get a router that you can plug a sim card in to and hope reception is good enough 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

14 minutes ago, Arika S said:

you've kind of answered your own question. either get satellite or get a router that you can plug a sim card in to and hope reception is good enough 

Yeah but then you have super bad data limits 

Just now, Need_Not said:

if you have no other choice, then you have to learn to live with it.

time to start looking into satellite plans

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Is fixed wireless actually that bad?! I'd think it's better than satellite

Just now, Need_Not said:

You don't have many other options if cable, dsl and fiber are unavailable. Theoretically, if you have line of sight to a neighbor with good internet you could use something like laserlink or radio relay provided that's legal in your area and share their connection if they're willing.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Need_Not said:

Is fixed wireless actually that bad?! I'd think it's better than satellite

Well as long as there's a cell tower not too far away from you and you buy a proper antenna for the router you should be fine with using cellular for everyday internet

Main rig:

• Ryzen 3600X • X370 Killer SLI • 16GB Corsair LPX 3200Mhz • Strix 1070ti • Define R5 • SuperNova 750 G2 • Evo 1TB + X300 4TB •

Secondary rig:

• Acer prebuilt • Rzyen 1700X (upgraded) • OEM 1060 3GB • 256GB SSD + 1TB Seagate (upgraded) •

3 minutes ago, Tundral said:

Well as long as there's a cell tower not too far away from you and you buy a proper antenna for the router you should be fine with using cellular for everyday internet

Wait fixed wireless is cellular data? So will it even be that much better than mobile hot spot?

5 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

You don't have many other options if cable, dsl and fiber are unavailable. Theoretically, if you have line of sight to a neighbor with good internet you could use something like laserlink or radio relay provided that's legal in your area and share their connection if they're willing.

My neighbor said he has unwired and it never is slow but he doesn't mention just how fast just "it's never slow" so i don't want to spend $100/m on like 10mbps I also don't know ping times like would I have good ping when playing games?

Just now, Need_Not said:

My neighbor said he has unwired and it never is slow but he doesn't mention just how fast just "it's never slow" so i don't want to spend $100/m on like 10mbps I also don't know ping times like would I have good ping when playing games?

Your ping will definitely not be as good as with a wired connection, but as long as there's no bufferbloat  on your side of the network latency shouldn't be much more than 20-30ms worse than a wired connection.

If your phone isn't horribly old then you can go test the mobile network to your house simply by taking your phone, standing at the place in your home where you could mount an antenna and doing a speedtest. This should give you a rough estimate on what the speeds are going to be like.

I would though recommend doing this in the evening when a lot of people will be possibly watching Netflix and doing other stuff on the cellular network, since that will be when the speeds are at their worst.

Just make sure to get a good router! Either get one that is an antenna (like THIS one) or one that you can attach external antennae to.

Main rig:

• Ryzen 3600X • X370 Killer SLI • 16GB Corsair LPX 3200Mhz • Strix 1070ti • Define R5 • SuperNova 750 G2 • Evo 1TB + X300 4TB •

Secondary rig:

• Acer prebuilt • Rzyen 1700X (upgraded) • OEM 1060 3GB • 256GB SSD + 1TB Seagate (upgraded) •

5 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

Wait fixed wireless is cellular data? So will it even be that much better than mobile hot spot?

My understanding is that fixed wireless is usually a point-to-point connection (directional radio), so you'd need line of sight to some provider that does that, but not sure that's really an option for private residences.

9 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

I guess you could ask them to use something like fast.com to test their speed and ping, that would give you a more definitive answer than "not slow".

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

5 minutes ago, Tundral said:

Your ping will definitely not be as good as with a wired connection, but as long as there's no bufferbloat  on your side of the network latency shouldn't be much more than 20-30ms worse than a wired connection.

If your phone isn't horribly old then you can go test the mobile network to your house simply by taking your phone, standing at the place in your home where you could mount an antenna and doing a speedtest. This should give you a rough estimate on what the speeds are going to be like.

I would though recommend doing this in the evening when a lot of people will be possibly watching Netflix and doing other stuff on the cellular network, since that will be when the speeds are at their worst.

Just make sure to get a good router! Either get one that is an antenna (like THIS one) or one that you can attach external antennae to.

The phone's mobile data is way faster than the hotspot so would this be like a hotspot but the speed of the mobile data?

Also if I use Verizon for phone stuff this tower isn't going to be the same 

Just a few days ago I ran some speed tests on my hotspot and they all came out to like .05-.15 download and 0-.33 upload

1 minute ago, Need_Not said:

The phone's mobile data is way faster than the hotspot so would this be like a hotspot but the speed of the mobile data?

So if you go outside and test the phone on its own and as a hotspot (with the other device next to it) the speed is different?

2 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

Also if I use Verizon for phone stuff this tower isn't going to be the same

Well of course if you're going to be using a different ISP for the internet access then you can't use your phone to test it really. One option would be to get a prepaid SIM from said provider and test with it to see what the speeds will be like

Main rig:

Secondary rig:

My folks live out in the sticks at the bottom of a hill. There's a fixed wireless provider, they call it LTE service, but it requires line of sight, and the hill's in the way. Their neighbours at the top of the hill have it and it works pretty good though, pretty reasonable. They used to use satellite, which was brutal. They now get service through a cellular provider which has home internet plans, still pretty expensive by city standards, but that's what you're stuck with in the country.

28 minutes ago, Tundral said:

So if you go outside and test the phone on its own and as a hotspot (with the other device next to it) the speed is different?

Well of course if you're going to be using a different ISP for the internet access then you can't use your phone to test it really. One option would be to get a prepaid SIM from said provider and test with it to see what the speeds will be like

Phone no hotspot on: 6 down 3.55 up

Tablet connected to hotspot from the phone: .62 down and .63 up

And about using a Sim the problem is it won't be uncapped or will be slowed down a lot after like 15gb

2 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

Tablet connected to hotspot from the phone: .62 down and .63 up

Is it a carrier supplied phone?

Main rig:

Secondary rig:

3 minutes ago, Tundral said:

Is it a carrier supplied phone?

4g from Verizon but ive gotten up to 66 in a big city but I can only get 6 where I live 

It's also lightly raining rn 

2 hours ago, Need_Not said:

4g from Verizon but ive gotten up to 66 in a big city but I can only get 6 where I live 

Might have some bullshit hotspot throttling if it's a Verizon phone.

2 hours ago, Need_Not said:

I can only get 6

Damn that's sucky. Could be worse tough but still

Main rig:

Secondary rig:

Your best option: Make very good friends with your nearest neighbor that has access to any kind of a decent ISP. Work out getting a line for you installed there and then use antennas to get it to you. A pair of these https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-airmax-devices/products/powerbeam-m5-620 should get the job down, assuming you have a direct line of sight between them. You very well may need some masts to get the height you need.

2 hours ago, Brian Blankenship said:

Your best option: Make very good friends with your nearest neighbor that has access to any kind of a decent ISP. Work out getting a line for you installed there and then use antennas to get it to you. A pair of these https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-airmax-devices/products/powerbeam-m5-620 should get the job down, assuming you have a direct line of sight between them. You very well may need some masts to get the height you need.

My only neighbor uses unwired but I heard it's not or miss if it's good where you live which doesn't seem to be them issue because my neighbor loves it but it's like $60 for 5mbps