High idle/load temps on R9 3900X.

wyattzx

Hey guys, first of all, sorry if the title of this post is too open-ended or ambiguous. I'll try to be as detailed and thorough as I can in the body.

I recently upgraded from an i7-5820k + EVGA X99 FTW-K, to an R9 3900X + Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite (Wifi). I paired it with 32GB (2x16GB) of 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM.

I reinstalled Windows 10, and immediately flashed my BIOS to the latest version. Afterwards, I applied the XMP Profile on the RAM, and left everything else alone. 

I noticed that my temperatures were sitting in the mid-high 50s at idle, and would frequently jump up to 70s if I opened a game, tried playing a YouTube video, etc. My fans would ramp up and down all of the time, which itself was obnoxious. I set the fan curve for my four fans to 50% below 70C, and to ramp up to 100% by 85C. This is done via Gigabyte's fan curve manager.

I removed my cooler and redid my thermal paste application, making sure the cooler was re-mounted evenly and cleanly. The cooler is a 280mm Captain AIO by Deepcool, specifically the cooler integrated into the NEW Ark 90 case.

After that, my temperatures came down to around 45C at idle, but even watching videos will see temperatures go up to mid-50s. When playing games, right now specifically Monster Hunter: World, my CPU will sit around 70C, and peak as high as 80C. 

I've updated my Chipset drivers, I've tried using the AMD Ryzen Balanced Power Plan, and I've checked all of the voltage settings I can to see if the XMP profile set things too high. When my CPU ramps up, the voltage will go as high as 1.425v, but it usually idles around 1.125v. 

Do you have any advice? Anything I need to know about 3rd-Gen Ryzen that I haven't done?

Specs:

• Windows 10 (1909)
  • Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite (Wifi)
  • AMD Ryzen R9 3900X
  • 2x16GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
  • Corsair RM750 PSU
  • Deepcool NEW Ark 90 (w/integrated Captain 280mm AIO)

Help?

Try closing all monitors except ryzen master, idle voltage should drop below 1v. 3rd gen relies heavily on sleeping threads rather than downclocking them. If a monitor such as hwmonitor / cpuz polls the thread for its voltage/clock it will wake it up. It's called observation effect/bias. On my phone at the moment but can help more later. This post should help you out but give me a shout if not: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/