Blocking W10 auto-updates; manual control over updates; what still works?

Dear reader,

After Windows decided to promptly bluescreen and feature-update my system; inside working hours; unannounced with no warning; while I was actively using the system, I am looking into options to take over manual control over their ridiculous updating policy and practices. Furthermore, I do not wish to partake in the Russian roulette that is "Will this update brick my system+data or not?" I had thought that using Debotnet scripts would work (ran scripts in both user and administrator privileges), but it apparently didn't.

I am using Windows 10 Pro N, version 1809. My setting is on a delay on feature updates for 365 days.

I have found several methods and software (some links may contain the same), but I am not certain if they still work or not. Most seem not really updated on their effect (e.g., updates stop at ±2018):

(1) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1133684-stopping-windows-from-auto-updating/?tab=comments#comment-13122271

(accompanying software): https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

(2) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/954195-ten-different-ways-to-stop-block-or-disable-windows-update-in-windows-10-updated-sept-2018/?tab=comments#comment-11593102

(3) https://www.wintips.org/how-to-turn-off-windows-10-updates-permanently/#part-2

(4) https://www.mirinsoft.com/ms-apps/debotnet

Do any of you have experience with any of the aforementioned methods, either in comments or the described ones, or perhaps can provide one that I did not list here?

What would work best?

Cheers,

JB

I won't be clicking all those links to see what's there and what's not, but I can tell you what works: setting your connection to "metered" and not allowing updates over metered connections.

You can also edit a registry key to make every connection metered by default unless you change it, instead of manually changing each new connection (for laptops using multiple WiFi networks or VPN users this can help preventing accidental updates).

hate to tell you this but 1809 is ancient and will be losing support soon. upgrade to 1909 if you can. 

I urge you not to disable security updates because that's gonna cripple your install in the long term. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

[...]

1 hour ago, Applefreak said:

[...]

Thank you. I had it set to metered, but I hadn't thought about a VPN bypassing this (which I am using) plus the fact that I wasn't expecting it to block those, even if metered. As I've experienced otherwise with another system that had its network set to metered and still updated (excluding security updates of course). I am also reading similar experiences online about it. Is it certain that this should disable optional 'experience(?)' and/or feature updates?

I will try the registry and GP edits then, thank you.

27 minutes ago, Twilight said:

hate to tell you this but 1809 is ancient and will be losing support soon. upgrade to 1909 if you can. 

I urge you not to disable security updates because that's gonna cripple your install in the long term. 

Thank you, will take that into consideration.

Security updates were and are not disabled.

52 minutes ago, jellybutt said:

Thank you. I had it set to metered, but I hadn't thought about a VPN bypassing this (which I am using) plus the fact that I wasn't expecting it to block those, even if metered. As I've experienced otherwise with another system that had its network set to metered and still updated (excluding security updates of course). I am also reading similar experiences online about it. Is it certain that this should disable optional 'experience(?)' and/or feature updates?

The thing is, if you set the original connection (wifi or ethernet) as metered, when you establish the VPN connection it counts as a new connection (and you often get a Windows message telling you that "Network 23 detected" and asking you if it's home/work/public). At that point, the "new" connection reverts to default unless manually set to something else, and the default is un-metered. Hence why you need to set it by default to every connection to be effective, unless it's a computer using the same connection always and without VPNs.

Doing this prevents any update, critical or not. If you can separately choose whether to use metered connections for different types of updates in your version of Windows, then it may be possible to block "feature updates" only. Otherwise, it's everything.

You'll be surprised, but from 1809 you can really disabled automatic updates by registry keys and it not revert back as in previous versions.

I don't remember which keys right now, so you can use OO ShutUp 10 to set these keys by GUI. And you'll see (after restart) that your updates are disabled. You can still use manual updates by pressing button.

oo.png.f14e6f683ea16b6b3fd55756186ccbe2.png

You should leave these two unchecked.

Effect?

effect.png.3c7d93ca1d445ac2752f0a8a438c4f8a.png

About "app updates" - you can disable automatic app automatic updates in Microsoft Store.