Austin culvera

So I have a pretty decent system 

gtx 1070 

R5 2600

asrock b350 k4 atx 

8gb ram 2666

1tb hdd

700 psu

firstly my gpu usage is sitting around 50% when I play Fortnite on all low settings I’m hardly pushing 144 FPS witch is very underperforming from a 1070 on all low settings and would love any suggestions why this is occurring 

secondly I know I should have faster ram for Ryzen 3200 is the sweet spot I’m aware of that and I’m planning to upgrade soon but that shouldn’t decrease my you usage by 50% 

thirdly I have a faulty HDD I think because every time I go to open a windows app it just suddenly open after like 5 seconds and when it opens it statically appears on screen whereas the apps should smoothly open up and even with this it shouldn’t effect GPU usage this bad 

so yea those are my current inquiries and was hoping for some answers from anyone cause I wanna start streaming in these corona stages at home quarantined but my FPS just isn’t good enough 

PLEASE HELP 

you only have 8gb ram and 1 stick?

fornite is ram hog and it benefits a lot when you are having atleast 2x ram sticks

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

But my friend has the same ram situation with a 1060 and he’s getting solid 144 FPS 

42 minutes ago, Austin culvera said:

But my friend has the same ram situation with a 1060 and he’s getting solid 144 FPS 

Maybe he has a faster CPU?

Cause by running the game on low at only 1080p resolution you are limited by the speed of your cpu...not your gpu.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

You should get MSI Afterburner, put your CPU, GPU and RAM usage on the OSD (On Screen Display) and see what's bottlenecking your GPU.

If I do what should I be looking at that would suggest that my gpu is being bottlenecked like what numbers am I looking for 

13 minutes ago, Austin culvera said:

If I do what should I be looking at that would suggest that my gpu is being bottlenecked like what numbers am I looking for 

Gpu usage is the one to. Look at..

If you're gpu is not maxed out it means something else is the bottleneck ..the cpu.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

15 minutes ago, Austin culvera said:

For example, if your GPU is at 50% while CPU is at 100% and RAM is at around 7500-7800 MB, then you know that the RAM and CPU are holding your GPU back, thus being unable to pump up more frames.

8 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Gpu usage is the one to. Look at..

If you're gpu is not maxed out it means something else is the bottleneck ..the cpu.

But when I upgraded to my Ryzen 2600 like a few weeks ago I was told they would be a good match and bottleneck calculator said the same 

1 minute ago, Austin culvera said:

bottleneck calculator said the same 

I would never use that, they are far from being accurate.

The actual problem may be your ram, first of all it’s only 8gb and also it’s quite slow, Ryzen prefers faster ram. Just do what you been suggested before with Msi Afterburner and check OSD

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

10 minutes ago, Whiro said:

I would never use that, they are far from being accurate.

The actual problem may be your ram, first of all it’s only 8gb and also it’s quite slow, Ryzen prefers faster ram. Just do what you been suggested before with Msi Afterburner and check OSD

So I had never heard of this calculator, but I put my thing in it and it said I need 64 gigs of RAM and to upgrade an RTX 2080 Ti to 4 1080 Tis. What? Can someone explain how this thing even works?

Ryzen 9 3950X   GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - Bottleneck calculator - PC Builds.png

2 minutes ago, funkmon said:

So I had never heard of this calculator, but I put my thing in it and it said I need 64 gigs of RAM and to upgrade an RTX 2080 Ti to 4 1080 Tis. What? Can someone explain how this thing even works?

That’s why I said before this type of calculators are far from being accurate, more to being bs 😂 you have perfect example, according to this 1080ti is more powerful than rtx2080ti hahaha that’s just some unfunny joke

i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

19 minutes ago, Austin culvera said:

But when I upgraded to my Ryzen 2600 like a few weeks ago I was told they would be a good match 

And it is, it seems: you say you are getting 144FPS afer all.

if you are looking for 200+ FPS, you are not looking for "good", but "niche high refresh rate" which may require odd configurations.

2 minutes ago, Whiro said:

according to this 1080ti is more powerful than rtx2080ti 

Not the 1080ti, but four 1080ti in 4-way SLI (which I don't even think is possible with 10xx series cards).

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Not the 1080ti, but four 1080ti in 4-way SLI (which I don't even think is possible with 10xx series cards).

Ohh yeah my bad I didn’t noticed x4 

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

27 minutes ago, Austin culvera said:

But when I upgraded to my Ryzen 2600 like a few weeks ago I was told they would be a good match and bottleneck calculator said the same 

pretty sure your issue is because you use a single slow stick of ram.

See, if you had 2 sticks you would run in dual channel mode which would double your bandwidth...

Is because playing low settings and cpu not capable pushing higher fps you need more Ghz for that and better IPC, nothing to complain about I personal advice increase graphics settings and enjoy game.....

Just now, Ukyo82 said:

Is because playing low settings and cpu not capable pushing higher fps you need more Ghz for that and better IPC, nothing to complain about I personal advice increase graphics settings and enjoy game.....

i would agree with that...but his CPU would very likely perform better if it wasn't from the piss poor memory config he's using:

8gb ram 2666

7 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i would agree with that...but his CPU would very likely perform better if it wasn't from the piss poor memory config he's using:

8gb ram 2666

Look this ;)

3 minutes ago, Ukyo82 said:

Look this ;)

Why? In the description of the video guy says he have 16gb of 3200mhz ram (most likely dual channel) 

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

3200mhz and performance around 144 fps low settings even do nothing, no action and on low settings he get same bad dips on fps and this is normal is 2020, Ryzen 2600 and GTX 1070 is nothing more then mid range. If not agree show me who get better performance with this configuration.

First 2 gens Ryzen is showed capable of no more then 144 fps even ryzen 2700X or whatever(unless some way too older game like CS GO or something this range), I dont think this is bad thing anyway......, like I said nothing to complain about and GTX 1070 not so powerful for sure

12 minutes ago, Ukyo82 said:

If not agree show me who get better performance with this configuration.

First video I typed in yt , even medium settings doing half decent 

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

Very depend on what happen on screen

This is much childish argument anyway, "my graphics 1060 perform better then your 1070..... Am I not great?!"

Lets put everything on max setting see who perform better..........

144 fps nothing complain about...... I doubt any of those are so pro 144 fps not enough or having 240hz monitors in first place

Otherwise I agree with else who said need dual channel, no just because dual channel(improve no more then 10fps) just need 16Gb ram this days specially if want play something else then Fortnite on low settings, Ryzen 2600 and GTX 1070 is great configuration and still can play every demanding game on that at least 60 fps