Advice on new build (first build).

Hello everyone, looking for some advice on building a gaming rig to meet my needs. I used to do PC gaming way, way, back in the day. Like original COD, Medal of Honor, Battlefield 1942 (does anyone remember the desert combat mod?). Please below and provide some advice as the components have changed so much and I've been mostly playing on console for the past 15 years.

1. Budget Location

• ~ $1000 USD; ~$1500 with peripherals.

2. Aim

• Definitely going to be using as a gaming machine with the potential for some streaming. I will also use it for work when home (traveling consultant; conference calls from home) but do not need a lot of computing power for my job. I will definitely be playing COD (warzone) and I'm looking for a pleasant gaming experience (does not need to be the best money can buy) with decent frame rates. Also looking to support games like Anno 1800, but mostly FPS. My kids will also be using this PC. They play Fortnite, Minecraft, Coaster Planet and games like that. 

3. Monitors

• I currently have dual monitors I use for work attached to my laptop dock. HP 24" nothing special, but I will keep these double stacked for non-gaming/main screen. Looking for a main gaming monitor not less than 27".

4. Monitors

• I have a cheap budget gaming keyboard and mouse that my kids use with the XBOX One X. Could use something nicer. 

If my goals can be achieved cheaper, that would be great. $1500 usd is my max all in. Thanks in advance. 

I should also add, I'm not planning on tinkering. I do not think I will be messing with overclocking of the CPU/GPU so I don't need crazy cooling unless budget wise it just makes sense to use an AIO. Also, not married to a specific case but like the look of NZXT mid towers. 

Quote me or mention me at @Shrekpad so I get notified 
pc specs:
CPU: 
Intel i7 8700K MOBO: ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR4 G Skill TridentZ 3000 MHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv STORAGE: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 NVME SSD,
T-Force Delta RGB 250GB SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD PSU: 750 Watt EVGA SuperNova G3 MONITERDell S2716DGR 1440p 144hz G-Sync, BenQ PD2700U 4K 60hz CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum OS: Windows 10

@Shrekpad's build is good but i would add a boot ssd, you can get a generic m.2 ssd from microcenter for cheap. I have a 128gb one and it works great but i would HIGHLY recommend a 256gb one

https://www.microcenter.com/product/600419/inland-premium-256gb-ssd-3d-nand-m2-2280-pcie-nvme-30-x4-internal-solid-state-drive

1 hour ago, itchkowb said:

@Shrekpad's build is good but i would add a boot ssd, you can get a generic m.2 ssd from microcenter for cheap. I have a 128gb one and it works great but i would HIGHLY recommend a 256gb one

https://www.microcenter.com/product/600419/inland-premium-256gb-ssd-3d-nand-m2-2280-pcie-nvme-30-x4-internal-solid-state-drive

What? OP can just get a 1tb m.2 nvme ssd instead of a 500gb for an extra $40. There's no point in getting another.

pc specs:
CPU: 
Intel i7 8700K MOBO: ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR4 G Skill TridentZ 3000 MHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv STORAGE: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 NVME SSD,
T-Force Delta RGB 250GB SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD PSU: 750 Watt EVGA SuperNova G3 MONITERDell S2716DGR 1440p 144hz G-Sync, BenQ PD2700U 4K 60hz CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum OS: Windows 10

15 minutes ago, Shrekpad said:

What? OP can just get a 1tb m.2 nvme ssd instead of a 500gb for an extra $40. There's no point in getting another.

You're right lol, i wasn't really paying attention im sorry. 

Thanks for the quick response and the links. I knew I would get some good answers here. 

I forgot to ask, would the stock cooler that comes with the Ryzen 5 3600 be enough or if I could squeeze it should I consider something else? Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, PharmDGator said:

I forgot to ask, would the stock cooler that comes with the Ryzen 5 3600 be enough or if I could squeeze it should I consider something else? Thanks in advance.

It's fine. As long as you are not overclocking.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Made some minor changes and opted for a little future-proofing on a few components. Some probably a bit of a waste, but I didn't completely blow out the budget. Specs are as follows:

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600x

MOTHERBOARD - ROG Strix X570-E

MEMORY - 2 X 8gb G. Skill TridentZ DD4 3600

STORAGE - WD Black 1TB M.2 SSD

GPU - Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super

PSU - EVGA B5 750W 80+ Modular

CASE - NZXT 510i

MONITOR - AOC 31.5" Curved 1440p/144hz - AOCCQ32G1

Parts start arriving today.

12 minutes ago, PharmDGator said:

Thanks for the advice everyone. Made some minor changes and opted for a little future-proofing on a few components. Some probably a bit of a waste, but I didn't completely blow out the budget. Specs are as follows:

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600x

MOTHERBOARD - ROG Strix X570-E

MEMORY - 2 X 8gb G. Skill TridentZ DD4 3600

STORAGE - WD Black 1TB M.2 SSD

GPU - Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super

PSU - EVGA B5 750W 80+ Modular

CASE - NZXT 510i

MONITOR - AOC 31.5" Curved 1440p/144hz - AOCCQ32G1

Parts start arriving today.

You could save $200 by going with a B450 board, or even a cheaper X570 board. The r5 3600 is the same as the 3600x it just is a bit slower out of the box. If you already ordered the parts, it’s not that big of a deal if you are ok with spending extra.

pc specs:
CPU: 

46 minutes ago, Shrekpad said:

You could save $200 by going with a B450 board, or even a cheaper X570 board. The r5 3600 is the same as the 3600x it just is a bit slower out of the box. If you already ordered the parts, it’s not that big of a deal if you are ok with spending extra.

Agreed...but I'm just rolling in cash so....🤑

In all seriousness the decision on the beefier motherboard was based on a few I/O specs I decided were nice to haves, Wifi, Optical Audio, Additional USB 3, Type-C, etc. I'm not gonna lie, the looks of the board factored a bit as well. The CPU choice I may regret, but hey I get a slightly better fan cooler with it right?

On 4/7/2020 at 2:57 PM, PharmDGator said:

Hello everyone, looking for some advice on building a gaming rig to meet my needs. I used to do PC gaming way, way, back in the day. Like original COD, Medal of Honor, Battlefield 1942 (does anyone remember the desert combat mod?). Please below and provide some advice as the components have changed so much and I've been mostly playing on console for the past 15 years.

1. Budget Location

• ~ $1000 USD; ~$1500 with peripherals.

2. Aim

• Definitely going to be using as a gaming machine with the potential for some streaming. I will also use it for work when home (traveling consultant; conference calls from home) but do not need a lot of computing power for my job. I will definitely be playing COD (warzone) and I'm looking for a pleasant gaming experience (does not need to be the best money can buy) with decent frame rates. Also looking to support games like Anno 1800, but mostly FPS. My kids will also be using this PC. They play Fortnite, Minecraft, Coaster Planet and games like that. 

3. Monitors

• I currently have dual monitors I use for work attached to my laptop dock. HP 24" nothing special, but I will keep these double stacked for non-gaming/main screen. Looking for a main gaming monitor not less than 27".

4. Monitors

• I have a cheap budget gaming keyboard and mouse that my kids use with the XBOX One X. Could use something nicer. 

If my goals can be achieved cheaper, that would be great. $1500 usd is my max all in. Thanks in advance. 

I should also add, I'm not planning on tinkering. I do not think I will be messing with overclocking of the CPU/GPU so I don't need crazy cooling unless budget wise it just makes sense to use an AIO. Also, not married to a specific case but like the look of NZXT mid towers. 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jNzfGc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($172.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($76.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($50.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card  ($499.99 @ B&H) 
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($96.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Acer VG271 Pbmiipx 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($209.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: G.Skill KM360 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy Wired Optical Mouse  ($27.48 @ Amazon) 
Headphones: Corsair HS60 PRO SURROUND 7.1 Channel  Headset  ($46.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1492.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-15 12:03 EDT-0400

Don't know if I am to late to the party but here is what I would have gone with. 

-Django