Cable modem

Wingfan

Can a modem go bad and cut the speeds by 2/3  ( 90/300 ) ?
Would i see a slow decrease over time or just a sudden drop?

This is just for my knowledge, they are sending me a new one capable have handling 1Gbps, which ill get soon if the price is reasonable.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

11 hours ago, Wingfan said:

Can a modem go bad and cut the speeds by 2/3  ( 90/300 ) ?
Would i see a slow decrease over time or just a sudden drop?

This is just for my knowledge, they are sending me a new one capable have handling 1Gbps, which ill get soon if the price is reasonable.

If your ISP is addressing your modem speed issue by sending you a new device, it's probably due to a hardware problem that they're aware of or some infrastructure upgrade that's happening at their end that requires customers to upgrade to new modems.

With what is happening in our world today and the increased demand for bandwidth, I'm sure some ISPs are trying to upgrade their infrastructure to better-optimized hardware that can handle the load.

Like any other piece of hardware, failure can occur. This can become apparent from a variety of potential issues including loss of speed, loss of responsiveness, or outright loss of connection.

So yes it can happen and loss of speed can be the result of a hardware failure.