Need Help - NCASE M1 MOD Custom Watercooling

Hi Guys!

I finally (almost) finished my NCASE M1 Build. I did a lot of Custom Sleeving and Stuff like that.

In a later upgrade i would like to make the external radiator optional for better transportation.

But now to my issue. Everything works... Except actually powering the thing off. Tried everything I could find. New Bios, all the Windows Crap there is (and there is a lot!!!) nothing worked.

When i click power off it turns off also the lights but 2 to 3 seconds later it boots as if i had pressed the button. Only PSU switch helps.

I hope somebody has an idea before I have to rip it apart again for testing the individual components...

20200407_102612.jpg

Not sure I can help with too much, but if it can shut down from windows by clicking shut down, it would most likely be hardware related but if it won't work from there, it could be software or hardware. 

Probably the best solution I can think of is to disconnect the front panel connectors and try to boot it up and power it off by shorting out the two pins for the front panel connector. Easiest way to do it is to find the two that go the power switch and connect them with a screwdriver. you may need to hold it there for  a second. If it shuts down this way, the problem has to do with the power button itself. I would suggest getting your case replaced by NCase or using a cheap power switch like this (https://www.amazon.com/NOYITO-Chassis-Extension-Suitable-Computer/dp/B07PPDHKDT/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=pc+power+button&qid=1586272966&sr=8-1) (you can find them cheaper on sites like aliexpress) If you get one that fits, you can just use that. There are also PCIe cards that connect to power buttons wirelessly (kind of like a key for a car)

Here's one by silverstone.

(https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Wireless-Interface-ES02-USB/dp/B01MQUANS8/ref=sxin_0_ac_d_pm?ac_md=4-2-QWJvdmUgJDIw-ac_d_pm&cv_ct_cx=pc+power+button&dchild=1&keywords=pc+power+button&pd_rd_i=B01MQUANS8&pd_rd_r=0b59ff63-319a-4ace-a608-fff6b4f54d14&pd_rd_w=edxVL&pd_rd_wg=xu6NN&pf_rd_p=0e223c60-bcf8-4663-98f3-da892fbd4372&pf_rd_r=Q3MZQBEJF0AWSY4KVQDP&psc=1&qid=1586273136&sr=1-3-22d05c05-1231-4126-b7c4-3e7a9c0027d0)

The best option if it turns out to be this is to use your warranty on the case though.

PC: 

i5 8400 - RTX 2060 - Strix B360-I - Thermaltake 240mm AIO - 16GB Vengeance RGB PRO - CRYSTAL 280X - HD Plex 400w AC/DC Converter

CUSTOM KEYBOARD:

Gmmk Pro  - Gateron ink Black v2 lubed and filmed - GMK Red Samurai - PC plate - Zeal stabs

DAILY TECH:

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Smartwatch - Galaxy A70 - Bose QC Earbuds - Bose SoundLink Wireless - Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 

Thanks for your reply.

Tried out another RAM and PSU now. Still nothing changed.

Something else seems rather strange to me... Tried connecting a switch I got from another case and it didn't start at all.. Started again with the Ncases switch. That makes no sense to me. So my guess at the moment is either the Mainboard is faulty or the switch. I'll try the screwdriver thing next to make sure that works. 

I have no experience with such intricate water cooling solution so I must ask: is the problem that you cannot shut down your computer? Or the water pump? 

It could be a defective component, sometimes one of my computers do that because the motherboard have an issue somewhere. It could be windows, I've read that there is a recent update that creates some issues with shutdown for some machines. 

Or worse, there could be an issue with your water cooling solution (a small leak or something conductive that touches somewhere on your components) 

Waterccoling is not leaking I made sure of that. The computer is what doesn't shut down. Pump seems to be allright.

I took Windows out of the mix by booting a live Linux OS from an USB stick - same results.

So I guess its the motherboard - what else could it be. 

Update to the power button issue. Shorting pins didnt work. But Ncases button does. Smells like i'm doing something wrong but theres not much to do wrong at that point...

Can you share the motherboard name? The faulty one that I have is an old MSI with I7 750 and I think that the reason it doesn't power off (unless I shut windows down from the start menu) is that there is some sort of short between pins. 

But a friend of mine have a Tomahawk B450 and it notoriously have some issues as a motherboard, there are a lot of info about it online. 

Update: The Button I used before for testing got a loose connector during disassembly - so that work. So i am pretty sure I just didnt touch the pins right with the screwdriver in that thight build. 

A pattern I can now safely say reaccures every shotdown is:

1:Turn of via PSU switch

2. The mainboard tries to start resulting in a short flicker of the leds as power doesnt suffice for anything more

3. Returning power via the PSU leads to the Mainboard lights turning back on again. Pressing the powerbutton on the case doesnt work

4  Repeating turning of the PSU waiting until mainboard lights turn of - turn PSU on again - Powerbutton works like a charm. 

(Another interesting thing is that I have turned of most of the mainboards lights via BIOS and after proper start the turn off)

Does it make sense to put in a new battery?

Motherboard is a mini ITX asus z170i pro Gaming with a i7 6700k CPU and where i turn off the PC doesnt matter at all - same results

6 hours ago, sparc_v8 said:

Update: The Button I used before for testing got a loose connector during disassembly - so that work. So i am pretty sure I just didnt touch the pins right with the screwdriver in that thight build. 

A pattern I can now safely say reaccures every shotdown is:

1:Turn of via PSU switch

2. The mainboard tries to start resulting in a short flicker of the leds as power doesnt suffice for anything more

3. Returning power via the PSU leads to the Mainboard lights turning back on again. Pressing the powerbutton on the case doesnt work

4  Repeating turning of the PSU waiting until mainboard lights turn of - turn PSU on again - Powerbutton works like a charm. 

(Another interesting thing is that I have turned of most of the mainboards lights via BIOS and after proper start the turn off)

Does it make sense to put in a new battery?

Motherboard is a mini ITX asus z170i pro Gaming with a i7 6700k CPU and where i turn off the PC doesnt matter at all - same results

don't know to much about that motherboard... try contacting asus and see if it's a common issue or if it is covered by warranty. there may also be a simple fix like the battery, but they would know better.

PC: 

i5 8400 - RTX 2060 - Strix B360-I - Thermaltake 240mm AIO - 16GB Vengeance RGB PRO - CRYSTAL 280X - HD Plex 400w AC/DC Converter

CUSTOM KEYBOARD:

Gmmk Pro  - Gateron ink Black v2 lubed and filmed - GMK Red Samurai - PC plate - Zeal stabs

DAILY TECH:

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Smartwatch - Galaxy A70 - Bose QC Earbuds - Bose SoundLink Wireless - Ultimate Ears Wonderboom