Windows 10 installation

Dino Dinac
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
1 minute ago, Dino Dinac said:

Yeah i do use the media creation tool, but i want to know whats the difference between choosing the first option which is the "USB Flash Drive" which requires at least 8gb memory, and the ISO option which after you download you need to put in a program like rufus to make your usb stick bootable. Is one of those options better than the other?

Just make the USB flash drive, basically does everything for you.

Hey, im very confused. I'm currently running windows 8.1 on my pc, and i want to upgrade to windows 10, do i select the usb flash drive option or do i download the iso file which i need to put in rufus later. I want to install windows 10 on my current pc, not on another, and i have 1 ssd and 1 hard drive. I want the files to stay on the hard drive, so do i just unplug it? I also want windows to be installed on my ssd. Will it automaticly be installed there if its the only storage unit plugged in the motherboard or no?

First of all, you need to do a clean install not an upgrade.

Second, all you drives should be unplugged except your SSD.

Finally, you make an installation USB using the official microsoft media creation tool, not rufus.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

OMG that answer (as usual).

1. I made upgrades from 8.1 to 10 and never had any problems. So why that "you must made clean install"? It's probably because Enderman is a person who must write his standard answer as fast as possible everywhere. And his answer is always "you must made clean install".

2. Lot of people use Rufus. There is no difference what program puts iso on pendrive, but I assume Enderman as always trying just one method and this method becomes the only proper one.

8 hours ago, Enderman said:

First of all, you need to do a clean install not an upgrade.

Second, all you drives should be unplugged except your SSD.

Finally, you make an installation USB using the official microsoft media creation tool, not rufus.

Yeah i do use the media creation tool, but i want to know whats the difference between choosing the first option which is the "USB Flash Drive" which requires at least 8gb memory, and the ISO option which after you download you need to put in a program like rufus to make your usb stick bootable. Is one of those options better than the other?

1 minute ago, Dino Dinac said:

Just make the USB flash drive, basically does everything for you.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Is one of those options better than the other?

No. it simply giving you a choice to download iso and make bootable usb for you. Or just download the ISO. How hard is that to understand?

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

OMG that answer (as usual).

1. I made upgrades from 8.1 to 10 and never had any problems. So why that "you must made clean install"? It's probably because Enderman is a person who must write his standard answer as fast as possible everywhere. And his answer is always "you must made clean install".

2. Lot of people use Rufus. There is no difference what program puts iso on pendrive, but I assume Enderman as always trying just one method and this method becomes the only proper one.

Actually i do want a clean install, i didn't mention that, but i was wondering which option was better, the one where u just choose "USB Flash Drive" or the ISO one where u need a third party program like rufus to make your USB stick bootable

23 minutes ago, Dino Dinac said:

Actually i do want a clean install, i didn't mention that, but i was wondering which option was better, the one where u just choose "USB Flash Drive" or the ISO one where u need a third party program like rufus to make your USB stick bootable

You may try (it costs nothing) just unpack ISO to some directory on your hard drive (even system one) and run setup.exe. You'll see that upgrade isn't that scarry. "Clean install" is something you can always do.

Basically upgrade from 8.1 is similar to upgrade from one version of win10 to another. Whole windows directory is replaced (that's why there is "windows.old" directory left after upgrade), registry settings are set to default (except registry entries for programs and some for hardware if it's compatible and have good drivers already). For sure you'll not end with any mix of 8.1/10, you'll get normal win10. There is also no risk that upgrade will mess with your other drives.