Wildy different temp readings from my 2950x.

Go to solution Solved by Mateyyy,
10 hours ago, DiabeticAnna said:

I just tried running Ryzen Master and am met with a "VBS" error, which seems to be a common and unsolved problem amongst many of its users. I cannot outright disable virtualization (I run a lot of emulators,) do you know of any way to disable VBS?

Never used virtualisation on a Ryzen system so I've never personally had this happen. Looking it up also didn't offer much of a solution, other than disabling Hyper-V. 

Try using HWiNFO then, it should still have a much higher chance of actually showing accurate readings compared to Speccy.

Hey all,

I recently through together a new build, specs being:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950x cooled by an Aorus Liquid Cooler 360
ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha x399
32 GB's of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 32000 MHz
Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080
Corsair RM 750x PSU

The problem I am encountering is that my temps are being reported wildly different across the board, with the built-in screen on the motherboard reading 44°C, the cooler's OLED screen reading 71°C, and Speccy reading at a whopping 119°C. After a few hours of Doom Eternal and about an hour to cool off, those would be the stable temp reads.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? I know Gigabyte has some of the worst software in the game, but such inconsistencies deter me from pushing this thing to 5GHZ.

image.png.057ac5d51883aa64309b6c0e470ef758.png

Don't use Speccy, it hasn't been updates in ages. Your system would've shut down long before the CPU reached 119C.

Use Ryzen Master for checking temperatures.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

Don't use Speccy, it hasn't been updates in ages. Your system would've shut down long before the CPU reached 119C.

Use Ryzen Master for checking temperatures.

I just tried running Ryzen Master and am met with a "VBS" error, which seems to be a common and unsolved problem amongst many of its users. I cannot outright disable virtualization (I run a lot of emulators,) do you know of any way to disable VBS?

10 hours ago, DiabeticAnna said:

Never used virtualisation on a Ryzen system so I've never personally had this happen. Looking it up also didn't offer much of a solution, other than disabling Hyper-V. 

Try using HWiNFO then, it should still have a much higher chance of actually showing accurate readings compared to Speccy.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC