New Storage set up

FitzMartin

Hi Guys,

I built a new rig last year, everything runs fine but the one peice of hardware that i didnt research... my SSD.

I bought a 480GB Toshiba TR200 and it really seems to struggle sometimes especially when it's almost full. it's also not large enough and i find myself uninstalling games often in order to make room for more.

My rig is used pretty much exclusivly for gaming, some light surfing and watching Youtube/twitch.

Is it worth getting a 1TB Nvme m.2 drive and sticking everything on there or am i better getting a smaller and cheaper Nvme just for Windows and Apps and then having all my games on an SSD?

I have my older 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD which i could use for now untill i can afford to upgrade to a larger one. I had this in my older rig and had no issues with the performance.

Any input would be appreciated.

Fitz

7 minutes ago, FitzMartin said:

Hi Guys,

I built a new rig last year, everything runs fine but the one peice of hardware that i didnt research... my SSD.

I bought a 480GB Toshiba TR200 and it really seems to struggle sometimes especially when it's almost full. it's also not large enough and i find myself uninstalling games often in order to make room for more.

My rig is used pretty much exclusivly for gaming, some light surfing and watching Youtube/twitch.

Is it worth getting a 1TB Nvme m.2 drive and sticking everything on there or am i better getting a smaller and cheaper Nvme just for Windows and Apps and then having all my games on an SSD?

I have my older 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD which i could use for now untill i can afford to upgrade to a larger one. I had this in my older rig and had no issues with the performance.

Any input would be appreciated.

Fitz

stick with the old ssd for the games and get a hdd for games you don't play at the moment or smaller games because 2 instead of 0.5 sec isn't to bad

Just buy a hard drive, used or new and install the games that you play less often, or just very big games. And on the SSD install the games you play most frequently like CS:GO. Performance won't degrade if you use a hard drive and I don't think a few seconds extra of load time is that important.

Thanks for all the info and recommendations guys.

5 hours ago, LunaP0n3 said:

Set aside at minimum 10% of the capacity on the drive to maintain performance. The drive uses the spare space to help when erasing and reprogramming blocks of the flash media.

https://www.howtogeek.com/165542/why-solid-state-drives-slow-down-as-you-fill-them-up/

Actually, there should be 20-25% unused space on an SSD. That was even pointed out in each of the two last paragraphs in the article you linked (the actual wording was to use only 75% of an SSD). If you do very little erasing and rewriting on n SSD, such as just writing data without changing or deleting it later, you can get away with as little as 20% free space. Otherwise, you should maintain at least 25% free space at all times.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!