"Gaming" headphones with mic, or headset with mod mic?

I'm wondering, would I better off getting a decent set of headphones plus the mod mic attachable doohickey, or getting a gaming headset with a good mic? My headphones are just about falling apart, so I figured I could use this as a chance to upgrade my audio. I don't have room for a stand alone mic (tiny room, no where to sit a stand alone mic), so a headset option is the only way for me.

Hi, I am no expert in the Audiophile field, but I recommend you to also list your budget as it can be difficult to get an idea of your condition.

In my opinion, a headset complete with a mic out of the box as it is usually more convenient.

I apologize of my unability to help more than give a unbased opinion. But you can reach out to some other users who has a field of experties in the Audiophile area for better advice.

1 minute ago, Azura Lightfeilt said:

Hi, I am no expert in the Audiophile field, but I recommend you to also list your budget as it can be difficult to get an idea of your condition.

In my opinion, a headset complete with a mic out of the box as it is usually more convenient.

I apologize of my unability to help more than give a unbased opinion. But you can reach out to some other users who has a field of experties in the Audiophile area for better advice.

it is more convieniet but if you are about raw performance get a mod mic and if you havee spare time then braid the cables together

Right, budget. ~$300 AUD total. Bit more maybe since exchange rates are terrible atm.