Display Port Splitter, help required!

Hello wonderful people!

I am in a desperate situation and hope someone of you can help me. I want to buy an Occulus Rift S, but my graphics card only has one Display port output which is already used by my monitor... Here is when my idea of a display port splitter comes in, because I am to lazy to plug/unplug 24/7.

Now I really hope to find a techhead who is willing to answer my question: If I only power on one device at a time I should be okay, right? I mean its logical that, if I had my Monitor and my Occulus powered on at the same time, I would be limited in terms of bandwith for both devices, since they are sharing one Port. But what if I only use one device simultaneously. Wouldnt that mean that its practically only like a longer Display port cable? Or are the bandwith restrictions built in? I am so clueless, please someone help me. I cant buy a Rift S if I have to crawl behind me PC changing cables manually all the time, this would wear out the port and me fairly quickly ^^

I did a whole lot of research but can't  find out myself. The manufacturers assume you have 2 devices plugged in and are using them at the same time, thats what they are basing their technical details on.

Luv ya ll, thatks for your time. I hope you all stay healthy!

oh I just found sth else, I feel kinda stupid now. Its called a display port switch ._.