R9 290 or GTX 780??

It does look good and seems quiet in the video. This would be an option for me, does anyone know what they come with?

Do you mean accessories like cables, etc.? If so, you can see those in the last picture on this page. Newegg shows everything that comes in the box for all of their products.

It looks to me like it just comes with a power adapter and the driver cd. You can get a bunch of other power adapters and what-not from PCCG if you need them.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Do you mean accessories like cables, etc.? If so, you can see those in the last picture on this page. Newegg shows everything that comes in the box for all of their products.

It looks to me like it just comes with a power adapter and the driver cd. You can get a bunch of other power adapters and what-not from PCCG if you need them.

Thanks man, it looks really compelling, especially with the price of $529

What are you talking about? The MSI and Asus cooling for the AMD cards are parallel tot hat of Gigabyte.

The ACX cooler brings a premium, I'd say go for the Sapphire Tri-X 290, it cools better than the MSI and performs better too.

The Asus coolers for the 290X are no good due to their poor implementation. Only 2 of the heatpipes maje contact with the GPU and heat is not transfered effectively. I don't think that its the same for the 780 though.

The Asus coolers for the 290X are no good due to their poor implementation. Only 2 of the heatpipes maje contact with the GPU and heat is not transfered effectively. I don't think that its the same for the 780 though.

Well there are still plenty of options when buying a 290, MSI, Sapphire, XFX and Gigabyte have really good cards.

Stock 290 is faster than the stock 780, it's also louder and hotter though.

Aftermarket 780s are faster than aftermarket 290s.

780 OC is generally faster than 290 OC, also GK110 is more efficient at specific performance points in addition to having higher potential performance.

With Shadowplay even with a i7-4930k and a huge OC you'll notice the difference between it and fraps, the only thing that comes close is MSI Afterburner's use of Quick Sync.

You can use Predator if you get the MSI version of the 290, it can take snapshots, videos and stream to YouTube or Twitch. I recon it's better than ShadowPlay but GeForece Experience is pretty good, though I'd choose Steam, MSI Afterburner, MSI Kombustor and Predator over GeForce Experience and ShadowPlay. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

You can use Predator if you get the MSI version of the 290, it can take snapshots, videos and stream to YouTube or Twitch. I recon it's better than ShadowPlay but GeForece Experience is pretty good, though I'd choose Steam, MSI Afterburner, MSI Kombustor and Predator over GeForce Experience and ShadowPlay.

MSI Predator works like FRAPS, fairly large hit on performance especially when cpu limited.

Almost any card can use it, it's no where near as good as ShadowPlay, not even close.

It does however have the ability to function similarly to ShadowPlay with the QuickSync encoder option. This option isn't as good as ShadowPlay, it costs more performance and doesn't record in as high of quality as ShadowPlay.

None of the programs you listed are exclusive, all of them can be used with any manufacture and AIB.

MSI Predator works like FRAPS, fairly large hit on performance especially when cpu limited.

Almost any card can use it, it's no where near as good as ShadowPlay, not even close.

It does however have the ability to function similarly to ShadowPlay with the QuickSync encoder option. This option isn't as good as ShadowPlay, it costs more performance and doesn't record in as high of quality as ShadowPlay.

None of the programs you listed are exclusive, all of them can be used with any manufacture and AIB.

I'd still choose an R9 290 over a GTX 780. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

I'd still choose an R9 290 over a GTX 780.

Would a 650 watt PSU be able to power a 290? Not planning on sli/crossfire

Would a 650 watt PSU be able to power a 290? Not planning on sli/crossfire

Yes, the TDP of an R9 290 is ~300W, though some benchmarks get up to 400W!

Nvm lol, that's the system power draw. 

Yes, the TDP of an R9 290 is ~300W, though some benchmarks get up to 400W!

Nvm lol, that's the system power draw.

Cool, I am leaning even further towards a Sapphire Tri-X or Powercolour 290, rather than a 780.

Thanks man, it looks really compelling, especially with the price of $529

No worries man, I'm happy to help :)

Cool, I am leaning even further towards a Sapphire Tri-X or Powercolour 290, rather than a 780.

Sounds good!

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

A lot of this question boils down to which of the features do you want?

AMD's stuff like Mantel,

or Nvidia's stuff like G-sync

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Personally, when presented with this same choice I chose the EVGA 780 Classified.

Nvidia is giving more support to higher end platforms,

while Mantel generally didn't see a real improvement on high end systems.

I feel AMD's goal right now is for the low end general consumer's comfort (which is fine),

While Nvidia continues what they do. High end, balls to the walls performance and support.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Personally, when presented with this same choice I chose the EVGA 780 Classified.

Nvidia is giving more support to higher end platforms,

while Mantel generally didn't see a real improvement on high end systems.

I feel AMD's goal right now is for the low end general consumer's comfort (which is fine),

While Nvidia continues what they do. High end, balls to the walls performance and support.

I do actually agree with this, but I wouldn't get a classified as it costs more than $20 AUD to ship, rather than a EVGA GTX 780 SC. If I got a 780 from Amazon, it would be around $10-20 AUD cheaper than a r9 290 from Aus. With this price saving, do most people still recommend 290? Also, would I not be able to have a warranty if I bought from Amazon, or are warranties worldwide? (Probably a stupid question)

OR should I wait for an equivalent Maxwell card.. So many choices!