I found this PC when I took out the trash. The dumpster was so full it sat right on top. I though I'd at least get a better psu than the ones I salvaged from a bundle of Dell Optiplex 780 I purchased. When I short the power pins the fans spin up, but I can't get any HDMI output through my GC and my VGA are in storage. This PC is missing side panels so I'm interested in making something cooler than a bland flat panel to keep dust out. The CPU and motherboard should be an upgrade from the optiplex... 

MSI 760gm-p34 (FX) 

2X4GB Kingston DDR3 1333MHZ(salvaged from other PC) 

Radeon R7 250 2GB

250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm(salvaged from other PC) 

Thermaltake TR2 430

15859815765172046110316826403446.jpg

1585981840255701912640687294835.jpg

oh dear lord that is a old xfx gpu...

Well a FX series board usually indicates a AMD series Motherboard, during the FX era of CPU's... AMD's failure when it comes to a CPU, though still better than a Intel® Core™2 Duo...

It will run games on like... minimal settings at best.

Nice find though, if it works.

That is a motherboard with the 760g chipset, which has integrated graphics.

Pull out the video card (if you suspect it's faulty) and use the vga or dvi connector to connect a monitor to the computer.

The integrated graphics is slow as shit but good enough to run youtube videos and do 2d stuff in windows.

Open the power supply and look at the electrolytic capacitors to make sure they're not swollen or leaking... the 5v standby capacitor could be bad causing the system to restart or shut down seconds after boot because the chipset is powered from 5v standby and bad capacitor can make the 5v unstable.

If you replace the capacitors that are bad (if any) with proper low esr capacitors, it would be a decent power supply... it's not great, but it's also not a shitty noname psu or one that lies about what it can do.

Otherwise.. it can be a good base for a nas .. plug 6 hard drives and freenas and you would have a good machine.

Can also be used for games... get a fx6300 or something around that fx6120, 6xxx ... (they're around 30-45$ on ebay) and a rx570 and you have an ok machine for 1080p gaming

Sucks that it doesn't have usb 3.0 but otherwise it's a good base.

Based on the specs, I am afraid that it wouldn't run modern games. You can probably play some older titles at leftmost (lowest) setting, but it can be a pretty decent browsing machine.

On 4/3/2020 at 11:48 PM, GUVII said:

oh dear lord that is a old xfx gpu...

Well a FX series board usually indicates a AMD series Motherboard, during the FX era of CPU's... AMD's failure when it comes to a CPU, though still better than a Intel® Core™2 Duo...

It will run games on like... minimal settings at best.

Nice find though, if it works.

Yeah the Optiplex at least had core 2 quad in them. I've got a beefier XFX HD 6870, but this power supply doesn't have 2 6-pin cables.. 

On 4/4/2020 at 12:24 AM, mariushm said:

That is a motherboard with the 760g chipset, which has integrated graphics.

Pull out the video card (if you suspect it's faulty) and use the vga or dvi connector to connect a monitor to the computer.

The integrated graphics is slow as shit but good enough to run youtube videos and do 2d stuff in windows.

Open the power supply and look at the electrolytic capacitors to make sure they're not swollen or leaking... the 5v standby capacitor could be bad causing the system to restart or shut down seconds after boot because the chipset is powered from 5v standby and bad capacitor can make the 5v unstable.

If you replace the capacitors that are bad (if any) with proper low esr capacitors, it would be a decent power supply... it's not great, but it's also not a shitty noname psu or one that lies about what it can do.

Otherwise.. it can be a good base for a nas .. plug 6 hard drives and freenas and you would have a good machine.

Can also be used for games... get a fx6300 or something around that fx6120, 6xxx ... (they're around 30-45$ on ebay) and a rx570 and you have an ok machine for 1080p gaming

Sucks that it doesn't have usb 3.0 but otherwise it's a good base.

I've been thinking about a NAS setup. But I have an XFX HD 6870 I've never been able to use with the optiplex because of the psu (I cut out everything physically in the way...) and now this psu isn't enough because apparently it needs 2 6-pin power cables and this psu has only ONE. Also, I got it to boot and am installing Windows now! 

A 6870 consumes up to around 130 watts, they used 2 6 pin connectors because this amount was too close to the maximum permitted to be drawn through the slot and the pci-e slot ( 60w through slot + 75w through pci-e 6pin = 135 watts) and if user overclocked the card, this limit would be exceeded.

So it would be fairly safe to use a 2 x molex / 2 x sata -> pci-e 6pin /6+2 pin adapter cable , you won't overload the cables or the power supply.

As long as the psu can do at least around 200-250 watts on the 12v output, you should be fine.