Thermal Paste Applied Incorrectly

Champion-Craig
Go to solution Solved by DudeWazap,

Shouldn't take long right? I can probably do it tomorrow night if everything goes planned. Do you have a video of a good method? And thank you, you've been great help.

Try watching this to give you a good idea of how much to apply. ^_^

~Sorry if in wrong spot

So for some reason I feel like I applied it wrong. Can Thermal Paste affect temperatures? I feel like I put to little on the processor/ used an improper method. Im getting 50-60c without even overclocking yet. PC Specs in sig.

Specs:  CPU- AMD FX 8320 @ 3.5Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 GPU -EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked  RAM- 16GB 1600MHz (4x4)  HD- Western Digital Blue Hard Drive 1TB  PSU - Corsair CX 750M Case: Corsair 300R OS-  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Edition 2013 

Yes. Putting too much can act as insulator so yes you can. There's many different methods, apply as thin and as little as possible within reason. It does sound like you have applied too much. I don't use the line or pea method. I just cover the cpu in a very thin layer until when spreading I start to see the cpu. It doesn't matter which you use, when applying the cooler it makes the thermal paste in a thin layer. 

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Yes. Putting too much can act as insulator so yes you can. There's many different methods, apply as thin and as little as possible within reason. It does sound like you have applied too much.

I applied to much at first, then got rid of some.

Specs:  CPU- AMD FX 8320 @ 3.5Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 GPU -EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked  RAM- 16GB 1600MHz (4x4)  HD- Western Digital Blue Hard Drive 1TB  PSU - Corsair CX 750M Case: Corsair 300R OS-  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Edition 2013 

You will trap the heat if you put too much on. Can you post a pic of the thermal paste application?

I'd have to take it apart, which I cant do at the moment.

I applied to much at first, then got rid of some.

You need to just redo it.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

You need to just redo it.

Shouldn't take long right? I can probably do it tomorrow night if everything goes planned. Do you have a video of a good method? And thank you, you've been great help.

If you redo it use isopropyl alchohol to remove all of the thermal paste if you want to be very thorough. That would get you better results than wiping it off and piling more on that.

I have ArctiClean :)

Shouldn't take long right? I can probably do it tomorrow night if everything goes planned. Do you have a video of a good method?

Nah, ten minutes at the most for me. Like I said no method is really good. What I do is put a tiny dot in the center, then use a flat head screw driver to spread it out as far and as thin as I can. You need a very light touch and very close to the cpu, almost touching and spread outwards. If you start seeing the cpu that's about as thin as it can get. If you need more put the tiniest amount and do the process again till the cpu is covered.

People will argue all day long which is best. There is no best, whatever you use will work fine as long applied properly. When the cooler is put on the cpu the spreads out the thermal paste so they're all the same in the end. I like spreading because I can ensure the cpu is covered and very thin. When doing the pea method or line it probably wont spread all the way out. Which doesn't matter a ton because most of the heat is in the center. It's just an ocd thing that I do it this way.

25c at idle overclocked to 4.5ghz, 65cish when under a load on my cpu.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I will do exactly what he did! Thank you very much!!!!!!

I will do exactly what he did! Thank you very much!!!!!!

Haha no problem. ^_^  Happy to help.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110