I think I bricked my PC, is there still hope?

GAME 55

I opened my PC, because I found a screw loose making noise in the case.

I removed it, and closed the case again.

Then, I wanted to take a look at my RAM, so I removed it, wiped the dust off of it with my hands, and put it back.

After that, I fired up the PC, and NOTHING.

No BIOS, no post, black screen, just NOTHING.

Searched the internet, and tried everything I can do!

CMOS Reset, RAM Slot Change, EVERYTHING.

The stress is killing me, I feel really miserable, I need help, quick!

By the way, I noticed that the first time I removed it and then put it again that I did it wrong, not paying attention to the notch, so maybe that will help you give some idea of what the problem is.

Have you uninstalled both sticks?

Maybe you damaged it during the wrong installation (albeit that is very hard to do) but one stick should still be fine.

It could also just not be seated correctly. did it actually click into the slot?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

Have you uninstalled both sticks?

Maybe you damaged it during the wrong installation (albeit that is very hard to do) but one stick should still be fine.

It could also just not be seated correctly. did it actually click into the slot?

I have one stick, and I think I did click it into place.

It might be the fact that when I installed it wrong the system had absolutely no memory.

1 minute ago, GAME 55 said:

I have one stick, and I think I did click it into place.

Installed in the same slot as before? Maybe just try a different slot. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Try to blow on the gold plates on the RAM sticks? Worked for me once when the PC wouldn't boot. Wiping with hands could maybe cause some oil/dirt to actually go onto the RAM instead of cleaning it

I just wiped the plastic around the RAM Stick, but I will try your method.

2 minutes ago, GAME 55 said:

Good luck on this mate

If you were updating your bios then good luck with getting it fixed...

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ That's my post /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Who is that? \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

So that means your RAM stick doesn't have a heat sink? you might have dislodged one the Memory Chips or at least caused caused a loose connection under it, it's difficult to know but can you find and try a different stick to be sure?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Do you have any other suggestions away from opening the PC again, because I am afraid that I will break another thing, I am just sick of it!

1 minute ago, BrushyYT said:

If you were updating your bios then good luck with getting it fixed...

No one said anything about updating the BIOS and you're not being particularly helpful

1 minute ago, _Syn_ said:

So that means your RAM stick doesn't have a heat sink? you might have dislodged one the Memory Chips or at least caused caused a loose connection under it, it's difficult to know but can you find and try a different stick to be sure?

I don’t know if it has a heat sink, it is a standard Fury HyperX 8GB DDR4 Stick

17 minutes ago, GAME 55 said:

I opened my PC, because I found a screw loose making noise in the case.

I removed it, and closed the case again.

Then, I wanted to take a look at my RAM, so I removed it, wiped the dust off of it with my hands, and put it back.

After that, I fired up the PC, and NOTHING.

No BIOS, no post, black screen, just NOTHING.

Searched the internet, and tried everything I can do!

CMOS Reset, RAM Slot Change, EVERYTHING.

The stress is killing me, I feel really miserable, I need help, quick!

By the way, I noticed that the first time I removed it and then put it again that I did it wrong, not paying attention to the notch, so maybe that will help you give some idea of what the problem is.

When you installed the RAM wrong did you push it all the way in? If you did you might have sent a 12V down the wrong pin and fried the the memory module. The fault probably don't have anything to do with the cleaning of the stick.

Intel Core i7-9800X-3.8GHz  | 2x EK-CoolStream Classic SE 360| Royal RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz  |  ASUSTeK Prime X299-A  | EKWB - MSI GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GAMING X TRIO | Lian Li PC-011 white | Samsung 860 QVO 2TB, 2x 240GB Kingston SSD (RAID 0) & 240GB Kingston NVME Drive | Acer 34" ED347CKR VA Curved 100 Hz | NZXT E- Series 850

@GAME 55 I had this problem and it was because of the ram so try to remove a ram stick or reaplacing it.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ That's my post /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Who is that? \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

5 minutes ago, DrHeadbump said:

When you installed the RAM wrong did you push it all the way in? If you did you might have sent a 12V down the wrong pin and fried the the memory module. The fault probably don't have anything to do with the cleaning of the stick.

Oh crap, I think I did push it all the way when it was installed wrong, how do I know if I fried it or not?

LOL

Just now, GAME 55 said:

I don’t know if it has a heat sink, it is a standard Fury HyperX 8GB DDR4 Stick

So then it does have a heat sink but you've mentioned plastic so it's confusing, the heat sink is the metal cover around it but anyway..

3 minutes ago, GAME 55 said:

Do you have any other suggestions away from opening the PC again, because I am afraid that I will break another thing, I am just sick of it!

Don't stress about opening your PC just be reasonably gentle and consider each action you do, besides you have to open it up to troubleshoot it as you can't fix it otherwise, but at least just make sure the stick is seated properly, you should hear a click on both ends of it because there's two tabs, so that would be two clicks or if you apply pressure evenly on both sides it would sound like two concurrent clicks and pay attention to the notch on the bottom and align it in-place

Oh crap, I think I did push it all the way when it was installed wrong, how do I know if I fried it or not?

Well PC won't boot. Try if possible a different RAM stick if it boots then the old one is dead. If not maybe something is fried on motherboard. You'll need a Fluke 179 True-RMS Digital Multimeter to properly fault check. 

Intel Core i7-9800X-3.8GHz  | 2x EK-CoolStream Classic SE 360| Royal RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz  |  ASUSTeK Prime X299-A  | EKWB - MSI GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GAMING X TRIO | Lian Li PC-011 white | Samsung 860 QVO 2TB, 2x 240GB Kingston SSD (RAID 0) & 240GB Kingston NVME Drive | Acer 34" ED347CKR VA Curved 100 Hz | NZXT E- Series 850

10 minutes ago, DrHeadbump said:

You would need a ridiculous amount of pressure to force a stick the wrong way, I don't think it's reasonably possible for him to make that mistake

Just now, _Syn_ said:

You would need a ridiculous amount of pressure to force a stick the wrong way, I don't think it's reasonably possible for him to make that mistake

Though it is possible to push it on one side and have the over side lift up... hmm

Just now, _Syn_ said:

I know but you need to ask to know. Haven't been the first time I've seen it 

1 minute ago, _Syn_ said:

So then it does have a heat sink but you've mentioned plastic so it's confusing, the heat sink is the metal cover around it but anyway..

Don't stress about opening your PC just be reasonably gentle and consider each action you do, besides you have to open it up to troubleshoot it as you can't fix it otherwise, but at least just make sure the stick is seated properly, you should hear a click on both ends of it because there's two tabs, so that would be two clicks or if you apply pressure evenly on both sides it would sound like two concurrent clicks and pay attention to the notch on the bottom and align it in-place

Thanks for your help, by the way my ASUS EX-A320M GAMING Motherboard has only one tab and the other is just fixed. But, thanks for your help.

8 minutes ago, GAME 55 said:

Thanks for your help, by the way my ASUS EX-A320M GAMING Motherboard has only one tab and the other is just fixed. But, thanks for your help.

You would still hear two clicks because the fixed tab has a fixed notch, at least you would be able to feel it if you can't hear it properly

Or look on the side and make sure there are no visible pins (might be a tiny amount visible) and that they are evenly inserted