B350-F - Ryzen 5 2600 NO Post

Q-Tip

Hello,

Recently purchased a second hand Motherboard and CPU and have been struggling to get it to post.

System:
Ryzen 5 2600
Stock Cooler
Asus B350-F Gaming Strix
1x 4GB stick of Corsair ram 2400mhz DDR4 
1070 Zotac Amp Extreme

G750H Gold Semi Modular Powersupply 

USB is a SanDisk Cruzer Switch 8GB and I unzipped the latest bios file into that USB and made sure it was empty as well prior to plugging it in. 

I've tested it ontop of the motherboard box with only these things connected.

1x 8pin
1x 24pin
2x8pin (graphics)
Little speaker for beeping.

Motherboard is currently showing RED LED next to the DIMM slots, leading me to believe it is a CPU issue.

I expected this as the board is first generation, i proceeded to plug in a USB with the latest BIOS and had the USB formatted to FAT32.
I rebooted the system with the USB in a USB slot (doesn't specify a specific USB slot to use) and left it for 15minutes, and still nothing appeared on screen.

Tried switching the ram out.

Tried moving the Graphics card down to another PCIE slot.

Reslotted the CPU 

Cleared CMOS via removing battery for 15minutes, then adding it back in.

Tried CLRTC for 10seconds while holding a screwdriver to it.

No beep codes are happening just a RED LED next to the DIMM slot with a ORANGE LED down the bottom near the graphics. 

Please if you have any tips/info to help me update the motherboard as it hasn't apparently been updated before to allow second gen chips to work, please let me know. 
Unfortunately I don't have any spare Ryzen chips 1st gen or 2nd gen to attempt to replace it with too see if that will help.

Too note; All lights power up, fans all spin, Graphics fans will spin for about 4 seconds then stop but lights will remain on.

Look forward to hearing some replies on how to fix this, thank you!

15 minutes ago, distantly_social said:

Bad board or chip, either one

I really hope not, I just feel like i'm not doing something right with the USB and the BIOS on it.

Any suggestions? Thanks

1 minute ago, distantly_social said:

Wait, was it working before the BIOS update attempt?

The board was purchased from someone using it with a first gen processor but never updated the bios.- Working order

The cpu was purchased seperately by someone who was just upgrading to a better cpu.- Working order. 

This was my first attempt at making the computer start and work with all these parts bought from separate people.

I personally think it just needs a BIOS update but for some reason I must be doing something wrong.

Sounds like that deal where you need the first gen processor installed to update the bios, then you can install the newer chip. I know that's a thing with Intel and some boards when they release a new generation chip

3 minutes ago, distantly_social said:

Sounds like that deal where you need the first gen processor installed to update the bios, then you can install the newer chip. I know that's a thing with Intel and some boards when they release a new generation chip

Apparently you should be able to do it VIA usb but I'm 99% sure i'm doing something wrong somewhere along the line. 

If it does require a 1st gen chip, I will have to get one or go to a local I.T shop and pay for them to do it.

Just wanted to see if there was anything else I could do, because from what i've seen on various comments on amazon for example, should be easy to update the bios via usb even without posting. 

Fingers crossed someone can assist! 

see if you could get the person you bought it from to let you use the chip. Just dont go too far with BIOS tinkering right now if you're not certain to avoid bricking the board

8 minutes ago, distantly_social said:

see if you could get the person you bought it from to let you use the chip. Just dont go too far with BIOS tinkering right now if you're not certain to avoid bricking the board

Understood, unfortunately he sold it off. 

I'll see if someone else may know or has encountered this problem before and has a solution. 

Thanks for your help