will overclocking cpu help F@H

i know this could lead to stability problems and other problems, but could overclocking a 3600 help a bit? i know my cpu could go up to 4.2 ghz, just if it wont help a ton, why bother right

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

Personally I wouldn't bother manually overclocking a 3600. At most, if you're running stock, turn on PBO which essentially turns off the power limiter, and it can boost higher if you cooling is up to it. Getting much more manually is a lot of pain, and any instability will probably cost you more than you gain.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Personally I wouldn't bother manually overclocking a 3600. At most, if you're running stock, turn on PBO which essentially turns off the power limiter, and it can boost higher if you cooling is up to it. Getting much more manually is a lot of pain, and any instability will probably cost you more than you gain.

im a tinkerer so manually doing stuff is inevitable. but my computer just crashed, so no overclocking lol

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

imo, dont fold on your cpu. its extremely slow and doesnt do much. your electricity bill will be much higher with cpu folding. GPU folding is where you get actual performance/watt.

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

imo, dont fold on your cpu. its extremely slow and doesnt do much. your electricity bill will be much higher with cpu folding. GPU folding is where you get actual performance/watt.

my landlord pays for electricity so i dont need to worry about it. and with the shortage of WUs, the more chances for one the better. i also find it takes about the same amount of time to complete a wu as the gpu

It seems like at the moment that unless you have 24-36 cores, it is really not rewarding to use a CPU as you get roughly an order of magnitude less points using a CPU as you do using a GPU. Overclocking is trying to slightly boost scores on something that is diminishing results already to me is probably a no.

My 8700K on average produces 5000-6000 points an hour (Overclocked to 5GHz), heats up the room, and slows down the GPU.  My older 1070TI produces 56500 points an hour and I can easily use other programs while it runs.  That makes me question if it's worth doing often.  Zen2 units have posted showing as many PPH as my 1070ti, and any GPU that is 20XX tends to produce far better than my 1070.

I have also found out that what I had tested and operated as a stable overclock for months was not stable on for FAH.  At one point I folded for for 2 days only to have my system crash while at work and miss out on 5+ hours of folding loosing out on about 300K points for the possibility of an extra 25K points.  You can see that it doesn't add up for me, your results may vary.