Router acting up

Vodad

My Linksys WRT3200ACM is starting to act weird.

The amber light is on for the internet.  My internet is working, just seems to be a little slow to load web pages and other things. 

This is something new for it, as usually my internet and router are very solid.

| CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E | RAM: Trident Z Neo 32GB(2x16) 3600 | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT Ultimate | Storage: Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 | Storage: 2TB Seagate 7200RPM  | Case: Lian Li 011 Dynamic PCMR | PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G6 80+ Gold| Display: Pixio PX7 Prime | Cooler: Corsair H150i Elite Capellix

Does it perhaps go amber if it detects latency or packet loss?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

No, even when I reset it comes up, tries to detect the internet and then goes straight to solid amber.  but the internet works somewhat.  troubleshooting says it is a configuration issue, but nothing has been changed on it.  I even had to look up my password because I have not had to touch it in a year or two.

| CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E | RAM: Trident Z Neo 32GB(2x16) 3600 | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT Ultimate | Storage: Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 | Storage: 2TB Seagate 7200RPM  | Case: Lian Li 011 Dynamic PCMR | PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G6 80+ Gold| Display: Pixio PX7 Prime | Cooler: Corsair H150i Elite Capellix

10 minutes ago, Vodad said:

No, even when I reset it comes up, tries to detect the internet and then goes straight to solid amber.  but the internet works somewhat.  troubleshooting says it is a configuration issue, but nothing has been changed on it.  I even had to look up my password because I have not had to touch it in a year or two.

Power off both modem and router. Then power on modem, wait for about 3-5 minutes for it to establish a stable connection then power on the router.

7 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Power off both modem and router. Then power on modem, wait for about 3-5 minutes for it to establish a stable connection then power on the router.

Tried that like 3 times.  I am just gonna wait until tomorrow and see what it does.  Could be some weird thing with my provider.  I hate to have to buy a new router again.  But maybe tomorrow will be recommendations for a new router :)

1 minute ago, Vodad said:

Tried that like 3 times.  I am just gonna wait until tomorrow and see what it does.  Could be some weird thing with my provider.  I hate to have to buy a new router again.  But maybe tomorrow will be recommendations for a new router :)

Any unusual status lights on the modem? On the WAN/Internet?

Just now, Falcon1986 said:

Any unusual status lights on the modem? On the WAN/Internet?

Nothing, just the solid amber light on the internet one.   linksys web interface does not show any issues.  Log files dont show anything out of the ordinary.  I got it one time to come on with a solid white light but the 2.4ghz wireless did not come on, so had to reset it. 

4 minutes ago, Vodad said:

Nothing, just the solid amber light on the internet one.

I hope you realize that I'm talking about the MODEM, not your Linksys WRT3200ACM wireless router.

1 minute ago, Falcon1986 said:

I hope you realize that I'm talking about the MODEM, not your Linksys WRT3200ACM wireless router.

There is nothing funny with the modem at all, sorry.   the diagnostic on it comes back fine.  Web browsing seem to have a little issue loading a webpage at first, so is it possible that I am having a DNS issue, or perhaps Spectrum is at the moment?

1 minute ago, Vodad said:

There is nothing funny with the modem at all, sorry.   the diagnostic on it comes back fine.  Web browsing seem to have a little issue loading a webpage at first, so is it possible that I am having a DNS issue, or perhaps Spectrum is at the moment?

Sometimes ISPs can send updates to your modem or your WAN IP address may be pending renewal, and this can cause your connection to slow down until you reboot it. That's why I suggested power-cycling all units starting with the modem followed by the router.

Just now, Falcon1986 said:

Sometimes ISPs can send updates to your modem or your WAN IP address may be pending renewal, and this can cause your connection to slow down until you reboot it. That's why I suggested power-cycling all units starting with the modem followed by the router.

I will let you know what it is doing tomorrow. I think I am going to call it a night, hopefully everyone in the house will have their Netflix or Hulu working all night, or they will be bugging me. 

21 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

So, it was still acting up when I got home from work.

Factory reset and setting it back up fixed the issue.  Not sure what happened, but at least it is working now.

I also changed my default DNS from Spectrum to googles.  That could have been the issue, because I know couple other people said they were having some weird issues.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions