Can't figure out why computer is restarting.

Fum

Hi, so recently my computer has been restarting, like everything turns off instantaneously then boots back up . This has never happened before and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. It happened twice last night and two times today and in both cases it happened when I had a lot of browser tabs open (doing research for a paper), could this issue maybe be related to the RAM? I also go into a game and played for over an hour to see what would happen and it didn't restart and I have also my computer on for hours with nothing open and it didn't shutdown/restart, only seemed to happen when I have a lot of tabs open in firefox. When playing the game my temps never got about 59c and I sit idle around 39c. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Specs:

MB: MSI B450 Gaming plus max

CPU: Ryzen 3600

GPU: GTX 970

RAM: 16gb of DDR4 corsair vengeance (2400)

SDD: samsung 1tb

PSU: evga 650 G+

If you want to troubleshoot RAM issues, download memtest86 bootable onto a USB stick, and run memory tests overnight.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, Fum said:

Hi, so recently my computer has been restarting, like everything turns off instantaneously then boots back up . This has never happened before and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. It happened twice last night and two times today and in both cases it happened when I had a lot of browser tabs open (doing research for a paper), could this issue maybe be related to the RAM? I also go into a game and played for over an hour to see what would happen and it didn't restart and I have also my computer on for hours with nothing open and it didn't shutdown/restart, only seemed to happen when I have a lot of tabs open in firefox. When playing the game my temps never got about 59c and I sit idle around 39c. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Specs:

MB: MSI B450 Gaming plus max

CPU: Ryzen 3600

GPU: GTX 970

RAM: 16gb of DDR4 corsair vengeance (2400)

SDD: samsung 1tb

PSU: evga 650 G+

Reseat your RAM modules and see if that solves the issue, could also be a power supply issue, what power supply are you using?

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

4 minutes ago, Fum said:

-snip-

do you have any errors in eventviewer? can you force a restart/crash?

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

Just now, Boomwebsearch said:

Reseat your RAM modules and see if that solves the issue, could also be a power supply issue, what power supply are you using?

(it says it in the text :) )

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

3 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

do you have any errors in eventviewer? can you force a restart/crash?

Under error I have 2, 3, 20, 69, 455, 808, 1020, 1023, 6008 event id's and under critical i have 41 event id

2 minutes ago, Fum said:

Under error I have 2, 3, 20, 69, 455, 808, 1020, 1023, 6008 event id's and under critical i have 41 event id

do you have any rgb-software? (msi mysticlight, rgb fusion, etc.).

41 basically means the system crashed, and didn't shutdown properly. (you dont have to worry about errors in event viewer)

1 minute ago, TheThymo said:

(it says it in the text :) )

Sorry, I read too fast and missed that detail, your system would take 362 watts at the very maximum, that power supply seems to be sufficient. I would recommend reseating your RAM (take all modules of RAM out and reinstall) to hopefully correct the issue.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, TheThymo said:

do you have any rgb-software? (msi mysticlight, rgb fusion, etc.).

41 basically means the system crashed, and didn't shutdown properly. (you dont have to worry about errors in event viewer)

I am using Mysticlight

Just now, Boomwebsearch said:

Sorry, I read too fast and missed that detail, your system would take 362 watts at the very maximum, that power supply seems to be sufficient. I would recommend reseating your RAM (take all modules of RAM out and reinstall) to hopefully correct the issue.

I will give that a chance I was also going to be getting some new ram in the near future, I should probably just order that now lol

1 minute ago, Fum said:

I am using Mysticlight

any others? maybe icue? 

It could be that these cause a conflict by both trying to controll the leds, and when your ram is heavily used, it might crash.

You can also try using just one of the two sticks and see if you can crash the system. (use one stick for a bit and then the other)

Just now, TheThymo said:

any others? maybe icue? 

It could be that these cause a conflict by both trying to controll the leds, and when your ram is heavily used, it might crash.

You can also try using just one of the two sticks and see if you can crash the system. (use one stick for a bit and then the other)

No just mysticlight. This is my first MB with rgb controllers and since it was msi I got that.

7 minutes ago, Fum said:

No just mysticlight. This is my first MB with rgb controllers and since it was msi I got that.

well then i recommend trying what boomwebsearch said, and see what happens from there

1- Remove harddisks and reconnect them, check the sata connection on the mobo

2- Try with one ram module and see if problem persist on a certain one. 

9 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

well then i recommend trying what boomwebsearch said, and see what happens from there

9 minutes ago, lafrente said:

1- Remove harddisks and reconnect them, check the sata connection on the mobo

2- Try with one ram module and see if problem persist on a certain one. 

I will do both of these to make sure everything is in place, thank you for the help everyone