Bios update failed

Hey, when I instant flash, it says no image file found. Why?

9 minutes ago, Charlifr said:

Hey, when I instant flash, it says no image file found. Why?

Could you provide the model of your motherboard, did the power get interrupted while it was trying to update?

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M/index.asp#BIOS this mobo, power was not interupted

What version of the BIOS is your motherboard currently running and what are your trying to update to?

Just to confirm, so you have not yet attempted to update the BIOS already and need assistance on that, or have you attempted to load a BIOS file to your motherboard and experienced an error/issue?

Tthere is a chance that the flash drive is not getting recognized and read to having the BIOS file or the file has gotten corrupted. Try to re-download the latest BIOS on the manufacturer's website onto a flash drive, experiment with plugging the flash drive into different ports on your Motherboard's IO USB Ports and check which one will work for the motherboard to recognize your drive.

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, Boomwebsearch said:

What version of the BIOS is your motherboard currently running and what are your trying to update to?

Just to confirm, so you have not yet attempted to update the BIOS already and need assistance on that, or have you attempted to load a BIOS file to your motherboard and experienced an error/issue?

Not that likely, although there is a chance that the flash drive is not getting recognized and read to having the BIOS file. Try to re-download the latest BIOS on the manufacturer's website onto a flash drive, experiment with plugging the flash drive into different ports on your Motherboard's IO USB Ports and check which one will work for the motherboard to recognize your drive.

im on 4.5 trying to go to 5.4 to get support for the ryzen 5 3600.  I have attempted the BIOS update, but when clicking on instant flash, it says image file not found.

5 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Tthere is a chance that the flash drive is not getting recognized and read to having the BIOS file or the file has gotten corrupted. Try to re-download the latest BIOS on the manufacturer's website onto a flash drive, experiment with plugging the flash drive into different ports on your Motherboard's IO USB Ports and check which one will work for the motherboard to recognize your drive.

I click on instant flash, it comes up with the new bios file name, then says no image file detected.

4 minutes ago, Charlifr said:

im on 4.5 trying to go to 5.4 to get support for the ryzen 5 3600.  I have attempted the BIOS update, but when clicking on instant flash, it says image file not found.

Just now, Charlifr said:

I click on instant flash, it comes up with the new bios file name, then says no image file detected.

Okay, could you please attempt to download the 5.90 version from the manufacturer's site onto the flash drive and trying around the different ports of the motherboard until the flash drive is recognized for having the flash file?

@Boomwebsearch 

5 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Okay, could you please attempt to download the 5.90 version from the manufacturer's site onto the flash drive and trying around the different ports of the motherboard until the flash drive is recognized for having the flash file?

are you sure its safe with my current ryzen 3 1200 cpu as it says ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system.

15 minutes ago, Charlifr said:

are you sure its safe with my current ryzen 3 1200 cpu as it says ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system.

When MB manufactures use NOT in uppercase it is best to follow instructions. Stick with 5.4 until you get the new chip in the computer.
Have you installed the drivers as stated in 5.4 description?
When you download the bios zip,and then unzip it to the usb is it just the one file? or is there a folder and the file inside?
Have you used the black usb ports on the back of the computer?
Have you tried a different usb drive?

3 minutes ago, cobalt77 said:

When MB manufactures use NOT in uppercase it is best to follow instructions. Stick with 5.4 until you get the new chip in the computer.
Have you installed the drivers as stated in 5.4 description?
When you download the bios zip,and then unzip it to the usb is it just the one file? or is there a folder and the file inside?
Have you used the black usb ports on the back of the computer?
Have you tried a different usb drive?

i installed the drivers, they are in a zip folder, i dont know wether to unzip them or not.

Regarding the BIOS upadte files, it can in a zip folder, a single file was inside. I have tried using the zip, unzipping, and even just the file on the USB stick, i have tried a new usb too

Just now, Charlifr said:

i installed the drivers, they are in a zip folder, i dont know wether to unzip them or not.

Regarding the BIOS upadte files, it can in a zip folder, a single file was inside. I have tried using the zip, unzipping, and even just the file on the USB stick, i have tried a new usb too

and the BIO update zip file has a folder inside, with the file inside that one

Not that much risk would be present, although I agree especially if the motherboard is out of the exchange/warranty time frame. Just to ensure that the file did not get corrupted when being written over, re-download it from ASRock's website. Get the motherboard's BIOS updated to 5.4, then with the new processor, update to the latest.

@Boomwebsearch 

So the driver installed fine? Sorry you are not clear.
Unzip the driver file, then take the file out of the folder and put it on the USB. The only thing on the usb should be the bios update file.
Plug the usb into one of the black usb ports on the back, some times MB bios don't play as well with reading from USB3

4 minutes ago, cobalt77 said:

Unzip the driver file, then take the file out of the folder and put it on the USB. The only thing on the usb should be the bios update file.
Plug the usb into one of the black usb ports on the back, some times MB bios don't play as well with reading from USB3

6 minutes ago, cobalt77 said:

its plugged into the black usb from the mobo too

Yep the video shows that it can see it but it is not recognising it.
Did you get there via F2 or F6?
If you go in via F2, on main page what does it say after UEFI version?

16 minutes ago, cobalt77 said:

Yep the video shows that it can see it but it is not recognising it.
Did you get there via F2 or F6?
If you go in via F2, on main page what does it say after UEFI version?

AB350M P4.5

AB350M P4.5

Thanks, I just wanted to confirm that it was 4.5 that was on there.

You must be getting very frustrated as what you are doing should work and it just is not.

Is Internet Flash (page 58 in the manual) a option with your set up? If it is then it may be worth giving it a shot, but be careful as it may want to take you all the way to 5.9, when all you need is 5.4 for the time being.
I am sure you have tried but it is worth asking, have you tried to go to a later version like 4.6?

Thanks, I just wanted to confirm that it was 4.5 that was on there.

You must be getting very frustrated as what you are doing should work and it just is not.

Is Internet Flash (page 58 in the manual) a option with your set up? If it is then it may be worth giving it a shot, but be careful as it may want to take you all the way to 5.9, when all you need is 5.4 for the time being.
I am sure you have tried but it is worth asking, have you tried to go to a later version like 4.6?

Ok, I'm currently updating to 4.6 and it's working luckily, hopefully I will be able to incrementally update all the way to 5.4 haha

1 minute ago, Charlifr said:

Ok, I'm currently updating to 4.6 and it's working luckily, hopefully I will be able to incrementally update all the way to 5.4 haha

Good luck, hope it works.

Just now, cobalt77 said:

Good luck, hope it works.

One last question, when updating to 5.4 it says to download drivers, the driver's come in a zip file, should I extract them or leave them be?