How much is it worth spending on card for Egpu

crogers

Looking at buying a Razor Core Chroma X, and given the limitations of bandwidth is it worth having a AMD Radeon VII, or should I go for something slightly lower in spec?

I have picked radeon for Mac compatibility however, I am happy to change my mind.

Thoughts from the wise would be greatly appreciated.

You can probably find a cheap Vega 64 on eBay

Catalina beta 2 and up supports Navi graphics cards so the RX 5700 is a good call if you are updated.

Trash beauty:

CPU: Xeon X5550

GPU: RX 570 4GB (defective)

SSD: Fattydove Racing 240GB

HDD: WD Blue 320GB

Motherboard: HP Z400

Ram: 6x2GB DDR3 1066

PSU: Corsair TX650

What I was told is The issue with bandwidth means there’s not a lot of point in putting in anything bigger than a 580.  I heard of Mac users who want to do arts stuff using a vega56 in the same post because even though there is wasted power the Vega has math capacity the 580 doesn’t.  It’s a kind of situational thing though.  One thing about those cards is they’re fairly short so there are some lower cost egpu boxes that can be bought because they don’t need the card length space

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The amount you should spend on an egpu is 0

Unless your life depends on having a crappy (gaming performance wise) laptop and for some reason like your religion demands it or something plug a egpu on it...

EGPUs are VERY expensive, underperform and are buggy... its much more worth it to spend the money of an eGPU to build a desktop.