£700 gaming PC

Foobrgoobs

First time building a PC. Trying to make it upgrade-able but keep it cheap at the same time.

Here's a list of part I've chosen

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Foobrgoobs/saved/#view=t6cRTW

I just wanted to check I'm not being an idiot. I don't want to overclock so I'm fine with a locked mobo. But does that mean I don't need the fan? I also only have 1tb of storage with the intent to but more later, good idea?

I also have no idea what extras I need to buy (any advice on good sata cables etc.)

Thanks for all the advice, sorry it's quite a lot!

5 minutes ago, Foobrgoobs said:

I just wanted to check I'm not being an idiot

Bad news my friend

/s

I don't want to overclock so I'm fine with a locked mobo

All B350, B450, X370, X470, and X570 motherboards can overclock. You'd have to get a seriously crappy motherboard not to have overclocking, so you shouldn't consider it.

But does that mean I don't need the fan?

You could get rid of the hyper 212 and stick with the stock cooler, it will give you money for other parts.

6 minutes ago, Foobrgoobs said:

I also only have 1tb of storage with the intent to but more later, good idea?

Start with the SSD first, so that you don't have to reinstall Windows later. A 240GB or 480GB SSD is a good starting point.

Your ram will hurt you. Slow speed is bad, single stick is worse. 2x8GB DDR4 3000 is very affordable.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

First time building a PC. Trying to make it upgrade-able but keep it cheap at the same time.

Here's a list of part I've chosen

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Foobrgoobs/saved/#view=t6cRTW

I just wanted to check I'm not being an idiot. I don't want to overclock so I'm fine with a locked mobo. But does that mean I don't need the fan? I also only have 1tb of storage with the intent to but more later, good idea?

I also have no idea what extras I need to buy (any advice on good sata cables etc.)

Thanks for all the advice, sorry it's quite a lot!

If you don't want to overclock you can save £30 and use the stock cooler included with the CPU.

I would also change your graphics card to a RTX 2060 or RX5700 for around £10-20 more as you will get much better performance.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Bad news my friend

/s

All B350, B450, X370, X470, and X570 motherboards can overclock. You'd have to get a seriously crappy motherboard not to have overclocking, so you shouldn't consider it.

You could get rid of the hyper 212 and stick with the stock cooler, it will give you money for other parts.

Start with the SSD first, so that you don't have to reinstall Windows later. A 240GB or 480GB SSD is a good starting point.

Your ram will hurt you. Slow speed is bad, single stick is worse. 2x8GB DDR4 3000 is very affordable.

Thank you so much.

I thought the B450 series was locked lol. If it isn't idm, strict upgrade right.

You think the 1tb is a bit overkill? I wan't to be downloading quite a few indie games (and stuff like apex)

I'll spend the money from the fan to upgrade my RAM as well. Didn't realise how limiting it might be

5 minutes ago, _lucalink said:

If you don't want to overclock you can save £30 and use the stock cooler included with the CPU.

I would also change your graphics card to a RTX 2060 or RX5700 for around £10-20 more as you will get much better performance.

Thanks for the advice, I'll go checkout some bench marks

3 minutes ago, Foobrgoobs said:

You think the 1tb is a bit overkill? I wan't to be downloading quite a few indie games (and stuff like apex)

not overkill, but it's a bad idea to start on a hard drive, it'll slow down the experience.

here's a revised list:

Half the storage but it's monumentally faster, and you can always just toss a hard drive in later. Here's a power supply you could choose to save some money:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/FdRFf7/corsair-cx-2017-550w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020121-na

The CX is decent, but the TXM is a rather high quality unit so the extra spending could be worth it in my opinion.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

16 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

not overkill, but it's a bad idea to start on a hard drive, it'll slow down the experience.

here's a revised list:

Half the storage but it's monumentally faster, and you can always just toss a hard drive in later. Here's a power supply you could choose to save some money:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/FdRFf7/corsair-cx-2017-550w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020121-na

The CX is decent, but the TXM is a rather high quality unit so the extra spending could be worth it in my opinion.

Ok. Two final questions.

You've downgraded the cpu from the ryzen 5 2600 to the 1600. Do you think the extra money isn't worth it?

And the final is how do you decide between third party GPUs? Do I just go with the cheapest?

42 minutes ago, Foobrgoobs said:

You've downgraded the cpu from the ryzen 5 2600 to the 1600. Do you think the extra money isn't worth it?

And the final is how do you decide between third party GPUs? Do I just go with the cheapest?

This 1600 is the 12nm version, so it's basically the same as the 2600, but it comes with a better cooler.

For GPUs, basically just get the cheapest dual fan. I put a single fan model from EVGA because it's a very thick heat sink but the others won't cool as well.

Primary PC:

48 minutes ago, Foobrgoobs said:

Ok. Two final questions.

The 1600af is basically 99% a 2600...you can overclock it and achieve better performance than a stock 2600. They seem to oc well with sufficient cooling.