What does it REALLY take to play Farcry 3?

rsmith

My configuration is as follows and I'm only getting 1 FPS (so says FRAPS) and I couldn't believe my eyes.

CPU: Intel i5 3570K O.C to 4.5GHz (Stock 3.4GHz)

Graphics: HIS AMD Radeon 6850 IceQ O.C Edition 1GB GDDR5

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz

SSD: Corsair Neutron 120GB SATA 3 (connected on SATA rev.3 port on Mobo) Boot Drive

Hard-drive: WD 500GB 7200RPM SATA rev.3 as well (drive game is installed on)

BTW: The 1 FPS was on High Settings, when changed to Low settings, I was getting 5 FPS. I couldn't even load the intro of the game good.

What configuration do you guys have and are you able to get 50FPS+ on medium video configuration or higher? I'm trying to see how high-end a graphics I should upgrade that my puny pocket can manage.

(I like to run games at MAX settings experiencing all the textures and effects as intended)

Corsair Corbide 500r Asus P8Z77-V Intel Core i5-3570K Corsair Vengance 2 x 4GB 1600MHz Corsair Neutron SSD 120GB Galaxy GeForce GTX 780 (Ref) Corsiar TX 750W Corsair H100 Creative Labs SB X-Fi Titanium

I'm not sure about any other cards, but my 660ti runs it maxed out without AA at an average of 65fps, I'm not sure how much that will help but might give you a starting point to go either up or down from.

your specs can run it easy, try reinstalling the game, dedicating 6gb ram to it, and clean all junk on your pc

I have an i3 and a 650ti and I get just under 60fps at near-max settings in Far Cry 3. Sounds like there's something wrong with your game...

Thanks y'all for your input. I'll re-install later and see if I can figure out what's the bug why it is acting up.

Corsair Corbide 500r Asus P8Z77-V Intel Core i5-3570K Corsair Vengance 2 x 4GB 1600MHz Corsair Neutron SSD 120GB Galaxy GeForce GTX 780 (Ref) Corsiar TX 750W Corsair H100 Creative Labs SB X-Fi Titanium

560 SLI everyrhing max except AA and I was getting 50-60 fps. Thats with vsync on.

i7 4770k @ 4.6 / Corsair h110 / Corsair XMS3 16GB / 2 x 660 Ti  / Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Yet again, the forum deleted my post when I moved between tabs. :( So you get the summarised version.

You should be getting ~30 fps at 1080p Max settings. That's still a good system and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Update GPU drivers.

Use GPU-Z to check GPU clocks and usage in the background. It might be stuck on 2D clocks, rather than the 3D clocks of 820 MHz for that card. Also check it's at ~100% GPU usage.

Googling around, some people have had issues with old BIOSes and Far Cry 3, so consider upgrading other drivers and the BIOS as a last resort.

Good luck.

Obsidian

• AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.8GHz, NB @ 2.6
  • AMD Radeon 6970 1GB (modded 6950)
  • 120GB SSD - OS/Apps
  • RAID0 2x1TB HDDs - Games
  • Catleap 27" 2560x1440 IPS Screen
  • Razer DeathAdder & BlackWidow
  • Audio-Technica AD700s

I can max it with AA on my 680, runs wonderful :)

It drops as low as 40 FPS every now and then, but most of the time it's capped at 60 (yes, I use Vsync)

fx-8350 + hd radeon 6950 2 GB

runs 50 fps fine

is the game actually choppy? unplayable? i tend to use other programs to determine fps, dxtory is a good one even mumble has an fps overlay

also note im running 12.11 drivers w/net 4 for graphics card, with cap 2

try that out see what happens good luck

CPU: AMD FX-8350 - Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Plextor M5P Extreme 256GB SSD

GPU - Asus AMD Radeon 6950 Direct CU II 2GB |

Seasonic 1000 W Platinum | Cooler Master 690 ii Advanced | Asus VE248H + VE248Q

I re-installed the game and started gameplay and it is playable. Re-install fixed the problem (don't know why).

Catalyst installed 12.10

What framerate are you getting now? Something definitely wasn't right the first time round.

Remember that AA eats up VRAM and graphics power so i'd recommend turning it off (if you haven't already).

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Have you updated the driver to your graphics card?

If you ever get it to play at a reasonable FPS at high settings you can turn Post FX to medium to get a few extra frames.

Depending where I am in-game my FPS varies from 40-70 on a custom config with everything maxed in-game + extras written in the config

i5 750 @ 2.6GHZ & Gigabye GTX 660 OC 2GB Edition

On Ultra Preset, I get between 25 - 30fps, on Low preset it get 50 - 60fps (VSync always on).

All i know is a 3570k and a Asus 7950 TOP gets 60fps with all settings at there highest apart from AA.

This doesn't really help you but I agree with the general consensus, you should be getting playable frame rates.

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558