RXT 2060 Laptop or 5700 XT Desktop?

Renton577

So I recently got a laptop with an RTX 2060 in it that I use for gaming and school but a week or so after I got it there is now a desktop on sale that has a 5700 XT in it as well. Its within the return window and I could take it back but with the new consoles confirmed to have raytracing inside I'm wondering if I should keep the laptop since it has RTX and with the new consoles having it then it should become more mainstream.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

Prebuilts sometimes cheap out on power supplies, ram and/or motherboards. Can you link the price and complete build?

1 minute ago, EL02 said:

Prebuilts sometimes cheap out on power supplies, ram and/or motherboards. Can you link the price and complete build?

It actually just went out of stock and wont be back in stock for another month xD guess that makes this pointless but its this one and then the laptop I have is below.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-2tb-hdd-240gb-ssd-black/6362428.p?skuId=6362428

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-17-3-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-1tb-hard-drive-256gb-ssd-abyss-gray/6350871.p?skuId=6350871

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

this depends on what you are doing and where. you said school and gaming but where. are you in your room or are you at the local coffee shop etc.. if you are more out of your room than in, then its best to keep the laptop because a desktop means that you will have to go back to where it is any time you want to use it. I would be wary of the 5700 XT, over the last few weeks AMD has been having issues with their latest driver update. people say its been fixed but then other people say it still hasn't so just be warned about it.

I've got the same laptop (Dell G7 7790) and its gaming performance is amazing and I've even sold my desktop rig because of this

I was getting 17000 in firestrike 1080p with my vega 56 and 4790k 

and I get 15000 with my laptop 2060 and 9750H so no need for desktop pc anymore

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

8 minutes ago, tdkid said:

this depends on what you are doing and where. you said school and gaming but where. are you in your room or are you at the local coffee shop etc.. if you are more out of your room than in, then its best to keep the laptop because a desktop means that you will have to go back to where it is any time you want to use it. I would be wary of the 5700 XT, over the last few weeks AMD has been having issues with their latest driver update. people say its been fixed but then other people say it still hasn't so just be warned about it.

I'm mainly out during the day but I also have a 2010 Macbook and Geforce now, I have heard of the driver issues though and I dont know if the performance difference would be enough to lose the portability.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

6 minutes ago, Kirky2k15 said:

I've got the same laptop (Dell G7 7790) and its gaming performance is amazing and I've even sold my desktop rig because of this

I was getting 17000 in firestrike 1080p with my vega 56 and 4790k 

and I get 15000 with my laptop 2060 and 9750H so no need for desktop pc anymore

Yeah thats what I was thinking too but the desktop seems like it gets a good 3000 more in timespy and even more in firestrike but I dont know if it would be worth losing the portability.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

1 minute ago, Renton577 said:

Yeah thats what I was thinking too but the desktop seems like it gets a good 3000 more in timespy and even more in firestrike but I dont know if it would be worth losing the portability.

Yep but that 3000 extra points probably only translates to 3-5 more fps in actual games tho so its up to you if you think its worth losing the portability of a laptop, personally for me, my laptop is perfect right now and should last me a good few years when the 2060 will be obsolete 

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

3 minutes ago, Kirky2k15 said:

Yep but that 3000 extra points probably only translates to 3-5 more fps in actual games tho so its up to you if you think its worth losing the portability of a laptop, personally for me, my laptop is perfect right now and should last me a good few years when the 2060 will be obsolete 

I'll probably just keep it then, thanks for the input!

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

I would say probably not because linus has made a video posted on youtube just before Christmas in which he compared the amd 5700 and the rtx 2060 at the $300-$350 range and it was a split decision between him and Anthony with the 5700 having better performance and the 2060 having better features, at the $400-$450 range the 5700 won by default as it was just another comparison with the 2060. at the $500-$550 range the rtx 2070 super came into play and whopped the 5700 XT.

I can link the video if you want to see it. there is also a list of GPUs here that you should see too comparing the PCB and coolers for each card.

19 minutes ago, Kirky2k15 said:

15 minutes ago, Renton577 said:

I'll probably just keep it then, thanks for the input!

The rx 5700 xt is going to have 20-30+ FPS difference (depending on which game) from the desktop RTX 2060.... your laptop 2060 with your laptop CPU are going to have a bigger performance gap than the one the 2060 has in the video bellow

14 minutes ago, papajo said:

The rx 5700 xt is going to have 20-30+ FPS difference (depending on which game) from the desktop RTX 2060.... your laptop 2060 with your laptop CPU are going to have a bigger performance gap than the one the 2060 has in the video bellow

The laptop 2060 I have is clocked at 2060 Founders clocks and I can overclock as well where performance is comparable to the desktop counterpart. Thats a pretty decent performance jump though. With the new consoles having raytracing though would the 5700 XT be at a disadvantage for longevity?

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

12 minutes ago, Renton577 said:

The laptop 2060 I have is clocked at 2060 Founders clocks and I can overclock as well where performance is comparable to the desktop counterpart. Thats

You can overclock the RX 5700 as well and laptops generally have limited thermal capabilities even if you can overclock (because the option is there doesnt mean that it will work necessarily) its going to become very hot and very noisy and in all cases it will not perform as a good as a desktop 2060 (which can be OCed as well) also dont forget that your CPU is a limitation as well (because it runs on lower clocks and boost on those is limited to a few cores and doesn't last much) 

gaming laptops need many sacrifices the only reason for me to buy a gaming laptop is if portability is a must... 

1 minute ago, papajo said:

You can overclock the RX 5700 as well and laptops generally have limited thermal capabilities even if you can overclock (because the option is there doesnt mean that it will work necessarily) its going to become very hot and very noisy and in all cases it will not perform as a good as a desktop 2060 your CPU is a limitation as well (because it runs on lower clocks and boost on those is limited to a few cores and doesn't last much) 

gaming laptops need many sacrifices the only reason for me to buy a gaming laptop is if portability is a must... 

It is a bit of a limitation I do agree, the CPU is pretty okay, I actually had a R5 1600X 6 core before this and the laptops CPU outperforms it but its still less performance than a 3700X, the GPU maxes out at 76C from what I've seen but the bigger question is the raytracing, I dont want to switch to a non raytracing card and then when the new consoles come out most games switch over to raytracing.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

Just now, Renton577 said:

It is a bit of a limitation I do agree, the CPU is pretty okay, I actually had a R5 1600X 6 core before this and the laptops CPU outperforms it but its still less performance than a 3700X, the GPU maxes out at 76C from what I've seen but the bigger question is the raytracing, I dont want to switch to a non raytracing card and then when the new consoles come out most games switch over to raytracing.

Since you are contemplating a desktop purchase what I say for your laptop must be considered as "compared to the desktop counterpart" you CPU might be ok but it still is underpinning compared to its desktop counterpart.  comparing different CPUs doesnt make sense I am sure your CPU is faster than a desktop P4 as well but that doesnt change the fact that compared to a e.g i7 6700(with less cores)-7700(less cores)-8700(same cores) its underperforming especially in games where clock frequency is more important. 

but out of curiosity I checked the performance in cinebench of your CPU its like 1241 at best (as you see performance also varies between the same laptop CPU because different laptops have different cooling capabilities so the cooler they are the higher their clocks can be and the less cooler they can be the lower the clocks will be) 

2019-05-21-image-3.png

and a stock 1600x has like 1245

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-1500x-and-1600x-review,11.html

49 minutes ago, Renton577 said:

bigger question is the raytracing, I dont want to switch to a non raytracing card and then when the new consoles come out most games switch over to raytracing.

The new consoles are likely to be somewhere in 2080 territory, so games that are designed for those are probably not going to do too well with rt on a 2060 or a 5700xt. I've also read that they'll have much greater raytracing capabilities, so the 2060's meager ability shouldn't be too much of a consideration.

It mostly comes down to whether or not the portability of the laptop matters more to you than the performance of the desktop.

Also keep in mind that desktop upgradability makes them much more "future-proof" than a laptop. A pcie 4 ssd might matter more than which high mid-range GPU you have.