Best Mechanical Gaming Keyboard?

Justin_Stewie

I am looking for a mechanical gaming keyboard in the $80-$120 price range (Obviously I'm looking for the cheapest but is still a good product).

Steelseries 6gv2 or a 7g are great if your not going for the looks. BLak key switches and built like a tank

Filco and Ducky are the two best choices for mechanical keyboards. However then generally run in the $130-$150 price range. Coolermaster makes great keyboards for a cheap price.

Here is a good one with blue switches: http://www.amazon.com/QuickFire-Mechanical-Keyboard-Keyswitches-SGK-4000-GKCL1-US/dp/B0068INSUM/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

Here is a good brown switch: http://www.amazon.com/Storm-QuickFire-Pro-Mechanical-SGK-4010-GKCM1-US/dp/B007VDOOBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367201266&sr=8-1&keywords=cherry+mx+brown

Most recommend brown switches for gaming, I myself prefer blue, however.

Here are my two suggestions for your budget!

Best Value: CM Storm QuickFireRapid

Good Value, more features, better build, full-size: Ducky Zero DK2108 ($95 free shipping, Amazon, Cherry Brown, Black, Blue, or Red)

There actually isn't a "best mechanical keyboard". It's all down to preference and needs. Do you want one with backlight, media features, usb hubs, macro keys at the side? What kind of switches do you prefer? It's all down to you going down to your local computer shop and trying the keyboards out :)

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Steelseries 6gv2 or a 7g are great if your not going for the looks. BLak key switches and built like a tank

I agree, I've been using the 6gv2 as my main keyboard for a while and love it.  The only time I wouldn't recommend it, is if you are not looking for a smaller keyboard since the 6gv2 is quite compact.  

I agree, I've been using the 6gv2 as my main keyboard for a while and love it.  The only time I wouldn't recommend it, is if you are not looking for a smaller keyboard since the 6gv2 is quite compact.  

It fits your needs aslong as you dont need macros.

You got any place to try out mechanical keyboards? The "best" mechanical keyboards are all determined by personal preferences so it's best to try them out yourself first before buying. 

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

I was in the same boat as you. Didn't have a place to try them and way TOO MUCH info online about them.

Luckily I got to try blue switches at Best Buy and found out how annoying I thought they were.

I bought the g710+ (brown switches) and have been extremely pleased with it.

I was in the same boat as you. Didn't have a place to try them and way TOO MUCH info online about them.

Luckily I got to try blue switches at Best Buy and found out how annoying I thought they were.

I bought the g710+ (brown switches) and have been extremely pleased with it.

+1 on the G710+. It is currently $108 at Bestbuy US: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech---G710%2B-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/6819135.p?id=1218808243010&skuId=6819135

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Define "gaming" keyboard. Do you want macros? Pretty lights? Media controls? Windows key disable? Childish aesthetics? All of the above?

Filco and Ducky are the two best choices for mechanical keyboards.

Realforce/HHKB.

You got any place to try out mechanical keyboards? The "best" mechanical keyboards are all determined by personal preferences so it's best to try them out yourself first before bu

PC Specs: CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-v lx | RAM: 8GB Patriot memory | GPU: EVGA GTX 660 Ti | PSU: Corsair GS500

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Silver/Blue | Mouse: Logitech G500s | Speakers: Logitech Z506 | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144hz monitor 

Erm.. don't mind my last post, I'm new to these forums. I usually go to Fry's to get a keyboard because at mine, they let you open the box and get a feel of the keyboard which is very useful. Right now I'm using the CM Storm quickfire rapid with brown switches. I mainly play FPS so I don't really need macros or a num pad and it was only 70 bucks so it was an awesome value for me.

PC Specs: CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-v lx | RAM: 8GB Patriot memory | GPU: EVGA GTX 660 Ti | PSU: Corsair GS500

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Silver/Blue | Mouse: Logitech G500s | Speakers: Logitech Z506 | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144hz monitor 

I have a cmstorm quickfire rapid with blue switches, it was $65 of amazon..  cheap as all hell and its still miles better than my razer lycosa which was $120 back when i got it lol

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

Check out WASD Keyboards. I have got a custom one with blue keys and o-rings from them and it's amazing. The construction is really nice and no other keyboard can be this custom for the price. The custom version is $140 and out of your price range, but I suggest taking a look at the keyboard designer there and see if the extra $20+ is worth it to you. The semi-custom is $120 and has a little bit of customising.

You could probably get something cheaper, but thus far this thing has been a beast. Oh and the guy there is real nice and easy to deal with.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5GHz          RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Black              Drives: 480GB SSD/1.3HDD

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H          Graphics Card: ASUS HD7970 Direct CUII     PSU: Corsair HX650M

Case: NZXT Phantom Black/Modded        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14                            Monitors: 2x Dell U2312HM