PC boot looping after replacing motherboard

toobladink

First, I want to say that I was not wise. I did little to no research on what I should have done to replace my motherboard (it was the only component switched out). I got very eager and just went for it, expecting everything to work. Oops..

Anyways, let me walk you through the past 24 hours:

I replaced the motherboard on my system.

Boot it up, get into windows but stuff is weird. I can't open chrome (I can't remember the exact error, but it was like a side-by-side error or something) and I got worried.

Figured, "well just in case, I'll see if my drivers are up to date, it's been a few weeks since I've used the PC so I bet Nvidia has something new"

And they did, so I tried updating drivers. I got into my first boot loop - this happened when Nvidia tries to restart the PC during installation. This was fixed by holding down the power switch and then pressing it to boot again. Then I figured, "Well I just won't install the drivers from Geforce experience" and surprisingly it worked. I was playing Call of Duty with my friends the entire night - it was great. (BTW, I always use DDU before installing any GPU drivers now. I don't know if that was part of the problem)

Here I am the next morning, thinking my PC will work. It's boot looping and I don't know what to try this time.

The CPU fan ramps up, and then down, and there's a light that switches off for like a half second on the motherboard.

The motherboard is an ASUS TUF X570.

What should I do? Reformat my boot drive and pray?

hi

pipes
Undervolting 5700 (not mine but important)

What motherboard did you have before. If it wasn't an X570, it might be the chipset and bios drivers that are causing this problem?

Usually when you change the motherboard, you go for a fresh Windows install.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

13 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Usually when you change the motherboard, you go for a fresh Windows install.

Any idea how I can remedy this or how I can wipe my SSD? Perhaps even try to get important info off of it?

hi

pipes

1 minute ago, toobladink said:

how I can wipe my SSD?

When you start the Windows installation process, of course you will have only this SSD installed, when prompted quick format and delete all partitions 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

On 3/17/2020 at 11:15 AM, Constantin said:

When you start the Windows installation process, of course you will have only this SSD installed, when prompted quick format and delete all partitions 

But my SSD already had windows installed, and I've successfully been able to boot into it. So will I have to plug in a USB and select that as the boot device, and then try and install Windows like that?

Update:

Unplugged all my drives just to see if I can get into the BIOS. Cleared CMOS. Didn't work. Gonna try reseating components.

Update 2:

Reseated GPU and it worked! If any weird issue persist, I will wipe my boot SSD. Right now I have the chance to copy everything I need over to my larger drive so I'm going to do that first.

Final update (March 20th 2020):

Reseating the GPU did it. Was able to get rid of the watermark by using Windows troubleshooter, have had no weird issues. Looks like you don't have to reinstall Windows when replacing the motherboard or anything!

hi

pipes