KEF LS50w Crackling/Pop sound speakers

Hi all,

I have a problem with my setup..

What I have atm is the KEF LS50W and a Samsung Q80R.

What I noticed is that I somehow get sometimes a short crackling/pop on my slave speaker. Sometimes it is several times in an hour and sometimes I don't have it for a couple of hours. What I used to have is that the slave speaker also had no signal for a short second.

It's all very weird to me..

I connected this all by optical and what I noticed is that my TV is making somehow some optical noise, a slight fast ticking hum (only on the slave speaker).. this is weird because I though that the optical connection doesn't have a any problem in regard with interference... maybe is's because of the bad output on my TV. I don't know..

When I do disconnect the optical connection the speakers have a very silent his, but this is normal.. but they sound the same and when I connect the optical connection again. Then the ticking hum is back on only my slave speaker...

Connections:

Power Speakers: Outlet, Surge Protector, Powerline, Kef

Power TV: on a circuit with everything else, Wifi outlets, lights (led's), network switch, Telefon

Audio connection: TV, Optical, Optical Switch, KEF

Where I noticed these crackles and loss of Audio on the slave was with that the audio came form my TV.

Maybe the optical connection is bad on my KEF's? How can I check this?

This is all very frustrating. I invested a lot of money in this setup and I would REALLY like that it just functions...

If I have forgotten some information, feel free to ask me!

Thank you for your support!

6 hours ago, Buurvrouw said:

Hi all,

I have a problem with my setup..

What I have atm is the KEF LS50W and a Samsung Q80R.

What I noticed is that I somehow get sometimes a short crackling/pop on my slave speaker. Sometimes it is several times in an hour and sometimes I don't have it for a couple of hours. What I used to have is that the slave speaker also had no signal for a short second.

It's all very weird to me..

I connected this all by optical and what I noticed is that my TV is making somehow some optical noise, a slight fast ticking hum (only on the slave speaker).. this is weird because I though that the optical connection doesn't have a any problem in regard with interference... maybe is's because of the bad output on my TV. I don't know..

When I do disconnect the optical connection the speakers have a very silent his, but this is normal.. but they sound the same and when I connect the optical connection again. Then the ticking hum is back on only my slave speaker...

Connections:

Power Speakers: Outlet, Surge Protector, Powerline, Kef

Power TV: on a circuit with everything else, Wifi outlets, lights (led's), network switch, Telefon

Audio connection: TV, Optical, Optical Switch, KEF

Where I noticed these crackles and loss of Audio on the slave was with that the audio came form my TV.

Maybe the optical connection is bad on my KEF's? How can I check this?

This is all very frustrating. I invested a lot of money in this setup and I would REALLY like that it just functions...

If I have forgotten some information, feel free to ask me!

Thank you for your support!

If you have a PC with optical, then try the speakers on that. Lets rule out the speakers or TV.

PS, Nice speakers :)

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

13 hours ago, Derkoli said:

If you have a PC with optical, then try the speakers on that. Lets rule out the speakers or TV.

PS, Nice speakers :)

Thanks for your reaction! I had the same idea yesterday. I am now doing everything over my PS4 Pro. Until now no weird stuff is happening. Yesterday I had the sound on for some hours. 

What my plan now is, is that I am going to check step by step and adding or changing the chain and see where the problem is. It really could be my TV, several forums statet this. 

I also noticed that the static my PS4 creates is on both speakers now the same. So thats good I guess haha.

Maybe you know this. I really would like to use my optical connection to my speakers. Do you know a streaming device that doesn't use that much power like the PS4 with an optical out? I already tried the Mi Box S, but that one is a bust. 

and yeah, the speakers are great, got them in combination with a SVS SB-1000. It sounds amazing and everytime I power them on and I hear some stuff I am like "is this the way I should hear this" because everyday I am hearing something new. What I found most interesting is the fact that the speakers deliver such a good sound location with what is happening on the screen. It's like centimeter in the works here.. It's I am watching a movie or serie or such and I can really tell who is talking and exactly where, like really precise and what I also really like is that I can hear the voices really really clear! Before I had some speakers and I though "oh yeah they are good" but they sucked.. and now I can do everything with them and I still hear everything!

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Buurvrouw said:

Thanks for your reaction! I had the same idea yesterday. I am now doing everything over my PS4 Pro. Until now no weird stuff is happening. Yesterday I had the sound on for some hours. 

What my plan now is, is that I am going to check step by step and adding or changing the chain and see where the problem is. It really could be my TV, several forums statet this. 

I also noticed that the static my PS4 creates is on both speakers now the same. So thats good I guess haha.

Maybe you know this. I really would like to use my optical connection to my speakers. Do you know a streaming device that doesn't use that much power like the PS4 with an optical out? I already tried the Mi Box S, but that one is a bust. 

and yeah, the speakers are great, got them in combination with a SVS SB-1000. It sounds amazing and everytime I power them on and I hear some stuff I am like "is this the way I should hear this" because everyday I am hearing something new. What I found most interesting is the fact that the speakers deliver such a good sound location with what is happening on the screen. It's like centimeter in the works here.. It's I am watching a movie or serie or such and I can really tell who is talking and exactly where, like really precise and what I also really like is that I can hear the voices really really clear! Before I had some speakers and I though "oh yeah they are good" but they sucked.. and now I can do everything with them and I still hear everything!

Thanks!

The Yamaha WXC50 is supposed to be great, and only draws 1.8 watts in standby mode. Plus it supports FLAC, DSD and other high-res files. And has extremely low distortion.

If you wanted something better for some more money, the Bluesound Node 2i has a pretty cult like following. My friend has one and it's damn near as good as my McIntosh MS500 which is 16x the price.

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/wireless-streaming-separates/yamaha-network-stereo-pre-amplifier.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluesound-Node-2i-Hi-Res-Streamer/dp/B07H232VNC

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

12 hours ago, Derkoli said:

The Yamaha WXC50 is supposed to be great, and only draws 1.8 watts in standby mode. Plus it supports FLAC, DSD and other high-res files. And has extremely low distortion.

If you wanted something better for some more money, the Bluesound Node 2i has a pretty cult like following. My friend has one and it's damn near as good as my McIntosh MS500 which is 16x the price.

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/wireless-streaming-separates/yamaha-network-stereo-pre-amplifier.html

I am interested, but does it make sense to have a pre-amp before the KEF's? Because they have from themselves already a great amp and dac inside.

and will the quality be better if I connect for example my TV to the Yamaha and from there to my KEF's? Because my PS sucks a lot of energy in streaming xD

9 hours ago, Buurvrouw said:

and will the quality be better if I connect for example my TV to the Yamaha and from there to my KEF's? Because my PS sucks a lot of energy in streaming xD

Well, The Yamaha has an optical input + optical output which should clean up the noise, but it might not.

Overall, the quality wouldn't improve other than removing noise. It might be worse as it gets put through an ADC, then a DAC, rather than just through a DAC.

10 hours ago, Buurvrouw said:

I am interested, but does it make sense to have a pre-amp before the KEF's? Because they have from themselves already a great amp and dac inside.

Well, you'd use the optical output for the KEF's, then use the Yamaha for all of your source inputs/streaming etc.

14 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Well, The Yamaha has an optical input + optical output which should clean up the noise, but it might not.

Overall, the quality wouldn't improve other than removing noise. It might be worse as it gets put through an ADC, then a DAC, rather than just through a DAC.

Well, you'd use the optical output for the KEF's, then use the Yamaha for all of your source inputs/streaming etc.

Hmm, I am also looking into the option to buy a Nvidia Shield TV Pro and connect my Dragonfly Red and then an AUX cable to the RCA in on the KEFs. Yes it's more sensitive for noise, but I don't have to use my TV, because I really think my TV is the problem. Yesterday again, I was watching some Netflix and listening to some music on my PS4 Pro and nothing. No weird things have happened. 

THE ONLY THING IS: is that my PS4 Pro uses a LOT OF ENERGY for streaming like wtf. I measured it and it uses for 4K HDR streaming on Netflix ca. 225W of power. For me if I buy a shield it would pay out after only one year. So I save energy and got the Shield for "free" if I choose this route. The cool thing is, is that the Dragonfly is supported on Android anyway and I use that stick for so many other things too :D So this will be for me I think the best route. I only want to use my TV for it's dumb TV capabilities and let a special device handle everything else. But there are not many devices on the market that are good for the purposes that I want.. unfortunately..

Yes I think I will buy a Shield TV Pro

What do you think about this idea?

9 hours ago, Buurvrouw said:

Hmm, I am also looking into the option to buy a Nvidia Shield TV Pro and connect my Dragonfly Red and then an AUX cable to the RCA in on the KEFs. Yes it's more sensitive for noise, but I don't have to use my TV, because I really think my TV is the problem. Yesterday again, I was watching some Netflix and listening to some music on my PS4 Pro and nothing. No weird things have happened. 

THE ONLY THING IS: is that my PS4 Pro uses a LOT OF ENERGY for streaming like wtf. I measured it and it uses for 4K HDR streaming on Netflix ca. 225W of power. For me if I buy a shield it would pay out after only one year. So I save energy and got the Shield for "free" if I choose this route. The cool thing is, is that the Dragonfly is supported on Android anyway and I use that stick for so many other things too :D So this will be for me I think the best route. I only want to use my TV for it's dumb TV capabilities and let a special device handle everything else. But there are not many devices on the market that are good for the purposes that I want.. unfortunately..

Yes I think I will buy a Shield TV Pro

What do you think about this idea?

That idea would work perfectly, the Dragonfly is a great little product, plus you'd have very little noise issues as the DAC is external to the NVidia Shield.

19 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

That idea would work perfectly, the Dragonfly is a great little product, plus you'd have very little noise issues as the DAC is external to the NVidia Shield.

Thanks for confirming it. This will then be the way I will choose. Now the Pro 2019 edition needs to be in stock first xD

Just now, Buurvrouw said:

Thanks for confirming it. This will then be the way I will choose. Now the Pro 2019 edition needs to be in stock first xD

Yeah finding stuff like the Shield in stock is pretty difficult, it's worse with high-end audio gear lol. I guess both don't really sell that much.

Yeah finding stuff like the Shield in stock is pretty difficult, it's worse with high-end audio gear lol. I guess both don't really sell that much.

Btw, do you have any tips on room treatment? My current room is quite lively and I want to kill some echo, resonance.. I think I already made a good and cool defuser, but still some walls and the ceiling are plain.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Buurvrouw said:

Btw, do you have any tips on room treatment? My current room is quite lively and I want to kill some echo, resonance.. I think I already made a good and cool defuser, but still some walls and the ceiling are plain.

Thanks!

You can use big, thick, heavy blankets to hang on the wall and ceiling if you want to go cheap.

I use GIKAcoustics room treatment stuff. It's quite pricey but it's amazingly effective and is probably the best room treatment you can buy: https://gikacoustics.co.uk/

You can DIY room treatment, But I'm unsure of the effectivity of it. There's some good video's on youtube of making the panels, such as this one:

Here's a good guide on room treatment setup:

https://gikacoustics.co.uk/basics-room-setup-acoustic-panels-bass-traps/

On 3/20/2020 at 4:33 PM, Derkoli said:

You can use big, thick, heavy blankets to hang on the wall and ceiling if you want to go cheap.

I use GIKAcoustics room treatment stuff. It's quite pricey but it's amazingly effective and is probably the best room treatment you can buy: https://gikacoustics.co.uk/

You can DIY room treatment, But I'm unsure of the effectivity of it. There's some good video's on youtube of making the panels, such as this one:

Here's a good guide on room treatment setup:

https://gikacoustics.co.uk/basics-room-setup-acoustic-panels-bass-traps/

Thanks! btw, I have a spike yoga mat at home, will this work as a diffuser / absorber?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Yoga+mat+spike&rlz=1C1CHBF_deDE847DE847&sxsrf=ALeKk00tib-wWqSu7RxeTE_9Zxq2lulwMA:1585042294993&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjmqMnX5rLoAhVUmMMKHTxLB7gQ_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1920&bih=947

I think it looks perfekt for a diffuser right?

5 hours ago, Buurvrouw said:

It might, I'm not sure of the sound absorption coefficient of a yoga mat haha. Try it! It might work well, or it might not.

Most foams have a coefficient of 0.04-0.97 depending on frequency. (Total absorption is 1) It should work quite well if it is of sufficient thickness.

On 3/24/2020 at 4:33 PM, Derkoli said:

It might, I'm not sure of the sound absorption coefficient of a yoga mat haha. Try it! It might work well, or it might not.

Most foams have a coefficient of 0.04-0.97 depending on frequency. (Total absorption is 1) It should work quite well if it is of sufficient thickness.

Btw could it also be that my phone is causing some interference? I moved it away and I am now checking. I am also checking the original cat6 cable that came with the kefs.. it all started when I moved the speakers and bought other cables... I hope it's that because I don't want to exchange my speakers...

3 minutes ago, Buurvrouw said:

Btw could it also be that my phone is causing some interference? I moved it away and I am now checking. I am also checking the original cat6 cable that came with the kefs.. it all started when I moved the speakers and bought other cables... I hope it's that because I don't want to exchange my speakers...

The original cable is just a cat6 cable, if you aren't using a cat6 then try using one. But it shouldn't really affect them all too much if they're only moving one channel of 24bit 192khz through the cable.

I doubt the phone would cause interference with such a well designed/engineered product, but it could. If the phone is the issue, then cheap fix :)

Just now, Derkoli said:

The original cable is just a cat6 cable, if you aren't using a cat6 then try using one. But it shouldn't really affect them all too much if they're only moving one channel of 24bit 192khz through the cable.

I doubt the phone would cause interference with such a well designed/engineered product, but it could. If the phone is the issue, then cheap fix :)

The original cable is just a Cat6 cable, but if you aren't using a Cat6 rated cable then try one. But I doubt it would cause any issues as they're only moving one channel of 24bit/192khz audio over the cable.

I doubt the phone would cause issues like this in such a well engineered product, especially since regulations state the device should accept interference with no ill effects.

If it is the phone, then cheap fix :) It's worth a try.

1 minute ago, Derkoli said:

The original cable is just a Cat6 cable, but if you aren't using a Cat6 rated cable then try one. But I doubt it would cause any issues as they're only moving one channel of 24bit/192khz audio over the cable.

I doubt the phone would cause issues like this in such a well engineered product, especially since regulations state the device should accept interference with no ill effects.

I will keep you updated 😃

On 3/28/2020 at 9:53 AM, Derkoli said:

Hi, I think I found the problem and it was what I think it was the interconnect cable. I didn't thought that it could be, but the original what I think is a S/FTP or a STP cable. This will ground the speaker because they have an internal connection outside of the interconnects.

What I was using was a cat 6 UTP cable. Now I am using an FTP cable and I have no problems either. So I think if you want to upgrade the cable, the cable needs to be at least foiled. I am now buying S-FTP cables for my complete network environment.

Thanks! and I probably have questions in the future regarding sound that I would like to ask you 😃

Have a good one!

5 hours ago, Buurvrouw said:

Hi, I think I found the problem and it was what I think it was the interconnect cable. I didn't thought that it could be, but the original what I think is a S/FTP or a STP cable. This will ground the speaker because they have an internal connection outside of the interconnects.

What I was using was a cat 6 UTP cable. Now I am using an FTP cable and I have no problems either. So I think if you want to upgrade the cable, the cable needs to be at least foiled. I am now buying S-FTP cables for my complete network environment.

Thanks! and I probably have questions in the future regarding sound that I would like to ask you 😃

Have a good one!

Good it was a cheap fix!

You can ask any questions you like :) I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to speakers and audio electronics :)

So wait why are you upgrading your networking cables? I might be confused I thought the issue was the TV's optical audio out? 

14 hours ago, Danimacl said:

So wait why are you upgrading your networking cables? I might be confused I thought the issue was the TV's optical audio out? 

Yes I thought that too, but I went back to what was before and what I have changed and from there I took it one by one and found out that it's not the optical connection. It was my interconnect cable that was not good enough for the speakers. Probably something to do with grounding what is non existent on UTP cables.. 

I am upgrading these regarding the interference that is occurring with my gear. I ordered S-FTP cables so I have a more stable connection with my slave speaker and also that less or none at all interference is going thought the network cables.